Stand by your stances?

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo

I must agree with Tess.(Very rare here)I 'd rather save the leg kicking for the higher ranked people. As it is, the lower ranked need to develop better habits first.:asian:

*marks date on calender.. woohoo..Ricardo agreed with me.. ~ hahaaa.. *smug grin*

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm, we don't restrict anything from the lower belts, they're allowed to use whatever works (which is the kenpo ethos after all!). As long as they're sparring well.

Most people don't use these kicks anyway though, there's no point. We don't points spar so it'd just be hurting each other for the sake of it.

Glen usually keeps and eye on everyone though when sparring's going on, we don't just leave the lower belts in a corner kicking the crap out of eachother!

Ian.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber

Hmm, we don't restrict anything from the lower belts, they're allowed to use whatever works (which is the kenpo ethos after all!). As long as they're sparring well.

Most people don't use these kicks anyway though, there's no point. We don't points spar so it'd just be hurting each other for the sake of it.

Glen usually keeps and eye on everyone though when sparring's going on, we don't just leave the lower belts in a corner kicking the crap out of eachother!

Ian.

everyone spars everyone in our school.. doesn't matter what rank.. but from day one we institute the 'rules' the chest to belt is legal target.. nothing below.. only where headgear covers. .legal target.. no back contact..
when I fight a lower belt.. I go according to their rank.. adjusting my speed etc to them.. and kick it up a notch as they grow in their ability.
The upper belts sparring each other can use the leg kicks with control.. but only on each other. I have a lovely bruise on my left knee.. no clue who gave it to me or how... but last December when blocking a kick at the college .. I ended up with the most painful case of Cellulitis that hurt like hell.. so I protect my legs with shin guards now and try not to get them where they are could be injured.

Tess

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess

everyone spars everyone in our school.. doesn't matter what rank.. but from day one we institute the 'rules' the chest to belt is legal target.. nothing below.. only where headgear covers. .legal target.. no back contact..

Hmm, we don't have any rules :)

Well, not biting and eye poking obviously, but all targets are legal (we do try not to strike the side of the knee as it's too easy to permanently damage it, usually an air shot is made if this is open and acknowledged with a nod by the other person).

I suppose that way it gets you used to street style sooner.

In our school, if the groin is open then bang! A shot goes in. Teaches you to cover up better I can tell you (obviously this is controlled and we all wear the appropriate protection but still...)

As for back contact, again that's legal. If someone turns for a spinning kick there's nothing to stop you getting a kidney shot in, again not full power or anything but it's still there if our students want to use it.

We've not had many accidents though, in 5 or 6 years I can only think of two incidents that arose in sparring, one where a really tally guy who was a complete idiot hook kicked a smaller guy in the head and kinda knocked him out, and another time when another tall guy caught a guy above the eye with a spinning outside crescent kick and split it. Neither were that major though.

I just don't think it's good to restrict the freestlye section of the art to rules, if people get into that 'holds barred' mindset it might be difficult to get out of it again if they're forced into a real fight.

I know there are issues with insurance and such like now though that are out of some instructors' hands though. There's a whole list of exercises we're not even meant to do under our insurance policy!

Ian.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Well, that is the base....... you probably don't even realize the transitions yet. Film yourself and watch it slow mo........

see how many stances you can find........

Remember.....
the definition of Stance......
It is a snapshot of motion!

:asian:

Cool idea!! I will try that. :cool:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I understand everyone's points on not restricitng targets. Now, also remember that we live in a litigious society here in the states. The rules are more for my protection than they are for the student's. Were I to be sued, it would still cost me dearly to defend myself. So I had to apply Kenpo to my Kenpo. (The best way to defend one's self is to avoid the attack altogether.)

J

jeffkyle

One, never hit anyone below the soles of their feet...........

Now you are really limiting me. That is one more rule than I go by. And one more rule that i have to remember. :)

B

brianhunter

One, never hit anyone below the soles of their feet...........

Two, never kick a woman in the testicles....

If someone is hanging by thier feet is that considered below??

B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Blindside

Or one of those capoeira guys doing a handstand kick....?

Hey buckling branch would probably work on an arm too!

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by brianhunter

If someone is hanging by thier feet is that considered below??

That is considered to be BatMan...and you shouldn't be messing with him, because Superman isn't far away!

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess

I'm more of a hand person myself, and tend to get where I'm going without having to rely heavily on the kicks.. hence my ability to fight low stance .. I use alot of body movement when I fight too.. I'm not quite sure how to explain what I mean .. hahaa.. Maybe Seig or Stickdummy or someone who's sparred me can help out here ;)
Since I don't 'see' myself as others do :)

Tess

Okay Tess, I think I can try and explain how it is to spar with ya. See Tess to me is really quick, especially with her hands. When you spar her she is always in a deep stance with her head leaned back out of the way. When she comes in trust me most of the time I don't see it. I'm sure everyone has seen some crazy person weave in and out of traffic before. Well, that's almost like sparring Tess. One minute she's there in front of you and the next she's weaving her way behind, next to you, over you, under you, you can never tell. She doesn't do sweeps so much, but she does have a killer front kick that will send you flying. :eek: I think that's about it. Watch out for those hands. :asian:

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig

I understand everyone's points on not restricitng targets. Now, also remember that we live in a litigious society here in the states. The rules are more for my protection than they are for the student's. Were I to be sued, it would still cost me dearly to defend myself. So I had to apply Kenpo to my Kenpo. (The best way to defend one's self is to avoid the attack altogether.)

Yeah, these things seem to govern the way schools are run more and more these days (which is why I was on about insurance and that...), I just hope it doesn't get to the point where it's so easy to sue someone (especially in America ;) *) that instructor's daren't let people spar anymore.

Ian.

* there was a story on the news here last week about a couple of big American lads who were taking McDonald's, BK and KFC to court in some sort of joint trial or something because they'd both had two heart attacks from fast food they were knowingly sold, and that is classed as a legitimate case over there?? Made me laugh anyway (the ridiculousness of the legal precident, not the fact they'd had heart attacks..)!

K

Kirk

Originally posted by satans.barber

* there was a story on the news here last week about a couple of big American lads who were taking McDonald's, BK and KFC to court in some sort of joint trial or something because they'd both had two heart attacks from fast food they were knowingly sold, and that is classed as a legitimate case over there?? Made me laugh anyway (the ridiculousness of the legal precident, not the fact they'd had heart attacks..)!

Yes ... the whole news story is posted here in the locker room. A friend of
mine from England had this to say about the lawsuit. "In England,
they'd tell them to piss off!" :rofl:

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk

Yes ... the whole news story is posted here in the locker room. A friend of
mine from England had this to say about the lawsuit. "In England,
they'd tell them to piss off!" :rofl:

Ah, didn't see that, I don't usually read the locker room. Maybe I should!

He's quite right though, it'd never get off the ground here! Same as suing someone because you got kicked or whatever in a martial arts school, if you went in there of your own free will, and fought of your own free will, I don't see where the grounding is for a claim!

Just the way different legal systems work though I suppose.

Ian.

S

Stick Dummy

KenpoTess wrote:
I have a lovely bruise on my left knee.. no clue who gave it to me or how...

Rudyard Kiplings 5 W's.................:asian:

Tess has a unique stance, my guess is adapted from Seig and further refined over time and experience sparring him. Very narrow frontal profile and good mobility. Now its just working on transitionary technique Flow, Tessmania has NO FEAR

I concur with Seig on class techniques, I can pretty much at will use the infamous "Stuffed Crust Shuffle" technique against round or angled kicks in sparring classes. ( Sparring for me is to teach less senior students skills, and maybe do some live lab experimenting once in a while.)

From my limited time training with the Mountaineers, I find Seig and myself use a lot of leg checks that could be quite easily converted to sumfin else.

Some of his students have also experienced running into a variation of a twist kick that is suddenly just "there" at leg level.
It NEVER connects, but its waiting patiently in the shadows.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
I find myself using a high wide kneel allot. I see allot of the seniors doing the same. I think it is a more natural stance - allowing greater mobility. I think it is something you pick up on as you grow in the art though. :asian:

B

brianhunter

Originally posted by jeffkyle

That is considered to be BatMan...and you shouldn't be messing with him, because Superman isn't far away!

I guess thats why you are good at teaching jeff.....you can put it into terms that people understand ;)

Latest Discussions