Are low stances useless?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I did Tae Kwon Do in my teens and I am nominally a Black Belt (Yes I know that's not saying much). In TKD we did our Poomsae in low stances, but in sparring there's hardly a hint of it. Didn't think much about it then, but now it's really puzzling to me why we would do our forms in a way that had little relevance to how we actually fought.

Because sparring and fighting are two different things. Even combat sports like MMA are different from fighting. There's different rules (none) and different objectives (points vs. survival). In my TKD class, we do sparring with the faster, shorter stances, but our self defense techniques (those that incorporate only blocks and strikes and those that incorporate grappling) we use lower stances for better balance and better power, at the cost of speed.

Plus, if you're paired with an 8 year old and are doing a grappling technique that involves stepping under his arm, you need to be good with low stances! (Usually we get paired with people around our belt and/or size, but every once in a while you're the odd one out...)

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Longer stances are great for really fast forward and backward movement, when you want to explosively attack, or quickly retreat out of range before executing a counter attack.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Many of the responses are looking at low stances from a sparring/competition perspective. I think that if you really want to find the reason for low stances you need to look at it from a stand up,grappling perspective.
:asian:

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Many of the responses are looking at low stances from a sparring/competition perspective. I think that if you really want to find the reason for low stances you need to look at it from a stand up,grappling perspective.
Read my first post lol

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Low stances are good for training. Even if you won't use them much in sparring or in self defense its good to train with low stances. That way it would be much easier to transition to higher stances. Its much easier to go from low stances to high than from high stances to low.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you get old. it's harder to get into low stance. So try to get into low stance when you are still young. This way you may just delay your aging process. The low stance is just like the spin hook kick. If you can still do it when you are 80, your body are still "young".

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
First off as its been said before Low stances are good for conditioning your body and for teaching correct structure in your form and techniques.

It looks like most of the positives of a low stance has been covered but I'll add in the one important concept that I feel has been left out that deals with self defense.

First let's paint the picture stand in a medium height side horse with the lead hand stuck out in a jab position a few inches away from a wall bag or punching bag. Now sink quickly and you will observe the hand will gain a few inches of distance and that you can also develop a decent amount of power this way.

Now of course this isn't the most applicable technique for sparing but if you are talking about a self Defense scenario where you are using a spear hand or leopards fist to a vital point this can make a big difference in adding power and range to that hand strike.

Let's take it a step further now you have a weapon or knife in your hand against another armed opponent this extra range and power can give you a winning edge over the other person that is attacking you with another weapon.

This is why you see spots in traditional forms where there are subtle rising and sinking in them especially with weapon sets like Gim and spear sets.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you get into low stance when somebody shots at you, your chance to survive will be higher. Just for this single reason, it should be good enough.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
First let's paint the picture stand in a medium height side horse with the lead hand stuck out in a jab position a few inches away from a wall bag or punching bag. Now sink quickly and you will observe the hand will gain a few inches of distance and that you can also develop a decent amount of power this way.

When I read this post, I thought "this is absolutely absurd and flies in the face of physics." However, I've seen mythbusters. I tried it against the wall. Myth confirmed. I did not realize that would happen. That's incredible.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
First off as its been said before Low stances are good for conditioning your body and for teaching correct structure in your form and techniques.

It looks like most of the positives of a low stance has been covered but I'll add in the one important concept that I feel has been left out that deals with self defense.

Now of course this isn't the most applicable technique for sparing but if you are talking about a self Defense scenario where you are using a spear hand or leopards fist to a vital point this can make a big difference in adding power and range to that hand strike.

Let's take it a step further now you have a weapon or knife in your hand against another armed opponent this extra range and power can give you a winning edge over the other person that is attacking you with another weapon.

This is why you see spots in traditional forms where there are subtle rising and sinking in them especially with weapon sets like Gim and spear sets.

If it works why is it not applicable to sparring?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I read this post, I thought "this is absolutely absurd and flies in the face of physics." However, I've seen mythbusters. I tried it against the wall. Myth confirmed. I did not realize that would happen. That's incredible.

You get more sideways movement the more you bend your knees. You can go further away from the wall if you want as well. But because you are looking at the wall you are dragged towards it.

Or it is whitchcraft due to possession.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you get old. it's harder to get into low stance. So try to get into low stance when you are still young. This way you may just delay your aging process. The low stance is just like the spin hook kick. If you can still do it when you are 80, your body are still "young".

It does take some time to become flexible in the hips. And it is something that can be lost through inaction.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah.

If you are just striking and especially with kicks low stances work against you because they expose your front leg to attack.

Thai for example have that floating front leg. It just gets that kick off the ground or out of the way a bit quicker.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=upifi6nIoXQ

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on how you define rules and sparring.

OK leopards fist.
p1030142.jpg

Spear hand.

set_4_chudan_4.jpg

You could do a punch from either of those positions. So you could spar throwing punches from those stances. If you feel those stances give you some advantage.

Or you could throw those strikes from other stances if you feel they give you some advantage.

Sparring will let you know which punches will let you hit know which strikes will hit targets and which won't. Extending your fingers and hitting pressure points makes no real difference.

Latest Discussions