Stance Work

K

Kirk

In class yesterday, we did stance work where we'd step back
into a neutral bow, and do crossovers, step drags, drag steps,
etc. Then we'll throw in kicks and strikes. Such as, right neutral
bow, feet together throw a right backfist, then a right
roundhouse. Or step through, straight kick etc.

Towards the last 5 minutes or so, I was wiped. I just couldn't
do it. This happens everytime we do this type of stuff in class. It's
gotten to the point that I'd rather not test any further until I can
handle this.

Has anyone else had a similar problem, and overcome it? What'd
you do? Any help would be appreciated.

OP
K

KenpoGirl

I'm in the same boat Kirk. If we are doing a very aerobic workout in class. (ie constant kicks punches or pad work) with little or no breather in between, I get overheated and breath like an old steam engine.

But you should have seen me when I first started back, 4 months ago. I couldn't even get through 10 minutes without almost passing out.

And if you think about it you're probably the same way. Still having a hard time with the workout, but considerably better then when you first started.

Keep plugging away my friend. It can only get better ...... that's what I'm hoping at least. ;)

Dot
:asian:

OP
W

warrior.mama

Kenpo is meant to challenge us. If it didn't, it wouldn't be worth it.

Just keep going. Push yourself. Give it your best.

Many many times I have been sucking wind during a workout.

What I have finally realized is it's not because of the workout itself (that's just an excuse), it's because I'm not in good enough shape.

Train outside of your workouts. Work on what's hardest for you - aerobic stuff? pushups? whatever it is.

And, most important - talk to your instructor for advice. He/she is there and seeing what's happening and probably has some good ideas for you.

Prove to yourself that you're tough enough physically, intellectually, psychologically, emotionally and spiritually to go the distance.

Oss
Judy aka warrior.mama

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's not difficult, so chances are (if you're anything like me) you're concentrating so hard you're not breathing properly!

I do this all the time, the only remedy is to relax! Try and kiai with your strikes, the silent type if nobody else is doing it.

Ian.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's very important to remember to relax while in such high rep work. Any amount of tension is like driving long distance while riding your brake... you burn out sooner.

Find those things that are difficult for you and work'em till you own'em!!! Seek out the things (other than stances and transitions) that stance work (like stance sets I & II & III) teach you!!! There's lots of good stuff to be found in there! More knowledge about them engenders greater appreciation of them.... which in turn can lead to more excitement about them. Then the rote work wont seem so..... well.... rote.

Keep at it, keep the faith!
Your Brother
John

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only person judging you, is you Kirk. Think of it as a challenge. You will just do one more than you did last time. Or one more rep or set per week. Legs are the big muscles, and when the lactic acid builds up, they feel like tree trunks. You know what you need to do for aerobic conditioning ... and are doing it. Keep it up!!!!

-Michael

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by Brother John

It's very important to remember to relax while in such high rep work. Any amount of tension is like driving long distance while riding your brake... you burn out sooner.

What I was going to say. Relax relax relax. A huge amount of being able to relax is breathing while you are doing your drills. Just take a deep breath and continue.

OP
H

headkick

Originally posted by satans.barber

It's not difficult, so chances are (if you're anything like me) you're concentrating so hard you're not breathing properly!

I do this all the time, the only remedy is to relax! Try and kiai with your strikes, the silent type if nobody else is doing it.

Ian.

I'll second that one. I had a horrible pre-test for 1st black. Part of it was that I wasn't breathing well at all. I was loading up for the strike and not breathing between them. What was Mr. Parker's term, constipated motion? That was me. Fixed that and the problem went away. That and I ran 2.5 miles every day for 8 weeks before the test. That might have something to do with it too. Tough for us "plus" sized guys to do.

R

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone else had a similar problem, and overcome it? What'd you do? Any help would be appreciated.

1. Yes

2. Kept at it till my legs got stronger

3. Sorry your on your own there.

That's the simple response, everyone else gave you the "winded" response and it's good advice too. You just have to keep at it and your body should begin to get used to the work.

:asian:

OP
K

Kirk

Well y'all certainly don't lack in encouraging words, thank you
very much! :asian:

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm in your shoes Kirk. I've definitely improved my stamina and abilities since I started training, but a good hard workout like that can still take me down. I can usually get through it, but since I have asthma, I occasionally have some problems, especially if I'm even just a little bit under the weather. I've had to take a break for the past week to avoid a repeat of an attack I had during class last week.

Still, I love it. I'm so glad I screwed up the courage to actually join my class back in May.

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk

In class yesterday, we did stance work where we'd step back
into a neutral bow, and do crossovers, step drags, drag steps,
etc. Then we'll throw in kicks and strikes. Such as, right neutral
bow, feet together throw a right backfist, then a right
roundhouse. Or step through, straight kick etc.

Towards the last 5 minutes or so, I was wiped. I just couldn't
do it. This happens everytime we do this type of stuff in class. It's
gotten to the point that I'd rather not test any further until I can
handle this.

Has anyone else had a similar problem, and overcome it? What'd
you do? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Kirk!
I'll tell you an old story that was told to me at Mr. Parker's Pasadena Studio...
A lot of the "old timers" who had been with Mr. Parker and regulars at the school for many years would often ask him for classes on "the good stuff"! One student, upon hearing this repeated request, decided he had to be in on one of those classes because, of course, Mr. Parker would be going over all "the good stuff" that he only reserved for his most senior students!
Well, one day, Mr. Parker relented and said to the "old timer" in question "Ahhh, OK! you got it!" So this particular student made an active point of being there for that particular class!
Gee,guess what they went over?
The exact same type of basics that you describe in your post!
and they did them until they were all driven into the ground with sweat and effort from numerous repetitions of various actions and motions,either in horse stance or through various foot manuvers and stances! I always tell all of my students "Learned technique becomes instinctive reflex through repetition!"
So, just think, Kirk, you're learning and working on "THE GOOD STUFF"!!
I hope that I was of some service,
KENPOJOE
www.rebeloskenpokarate.com
http://members.aol.com/KENPOJOE/
:::Getting off my soapbox now::::soapbox:
PS:BTW, the student was none other than Frank Trejo!

OP
R

rmcrobertson

I can only commiserate.

The first stance set I was taught, in Toni's back yard, was the one called, "A Pattern of Alternating Stances," in "Secrets of Chinese Karate." It hurt.

She also told me that she was in one of Mr. Tatum's advanced classes back in the old West LA studio, and he stuck the whole class into a wide kneel. Then he went down the street to get coffee. All you could hear were the "flap, flap" sounds that a wet gi makes when the wearer's leg is about to explode, and those great kenpo explosions of breath as one student or another dropped to the mat.

Now, you haven't lived until you go to one of the more aerobic advanced classes that ends with Stance Set 2. Real slow. "Stretch it!" is the cry. Nothing better, if you're into horror.

When I get to teach group, I like to end by making some poor shlub choose old, or new. If old, they do the "Pattern of Alternating Stances." If new, it's Stance Set 1--which I like to finish off by saying, "Oh, that didn't hurt. THIS is going to hurt."

Mr. Tatum sometimes remarks: " Do your legs hurt? Good--it means you're getting stronger."

I'd like to offer a magic bullet, but my experience has been that kenpo always hurts about the same amount. It's just that as you progess and get stronger, your ability to kill yourself expands...

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to offer a magic bullet, but my experience has been that kenpo always hurts about the same amount. It's just that as you progess and get stronger, your ability to kill yourself expands...

It's kind of like my experiance with building endurance. You still feel like you are going to throw up/pass-out/drop, etc at the end of a hard workout....it's just that this time you lasted 5 minutes longer than last time. You do get somewhat used to the feeling....wait...not used to it, you just know what to expect.

Speaking of working with stances and such, I recorded the list of techniques in our system onto a CD with upbeat background music. There was a 'slow' set to work form and a 'killer' set that the only way you could keep up was going full out. The CD was about 1/2 an hour of constant motion. We used the CD as a warm-up for our workouts when we were getting ready to grade for BB.

The first while when we got to the 'killer' portion we could hold good form for about 3-4 techniques and the rest were just trying to keep up. After 3-4 weeks you could notice yourself holding good form for a longer period of time. It didn't matter though, at some point between 5-32 you were again just trying to keep up with the CD. It has been one of my better ways to train consistantly hard. On our easy nights we'd just do the CD and go home :)

Rob