Intellectual Departure (Variation What do you think??)

B

brianhunter

I was wanting opinions on this technique...I know some people have removed it from their curriculum I have always thought it was a great technique to help sparring skills..........

We were training weapon retention the other day and I found something really close to "ID" that I liked (if you holster your weapon on the right side of your gun belt) I know this is a defense against a kick but where the opponent is reaching on your waist is pretty close to the same target as a kick would be

When you fell your weapon being grabbed instead of checking your shoulder with your left hand secure your weapon in your holster with it....still stepping into a reverse bow, simultaneously executing a right inside downward diagonal block....

then the stiff leg kick, back knuckle, drag step knife kick etc.... etc.....

What do you guys think?? I kinda liked it but I am no where near the level alot of you are..just a cop trying to find something that might work

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by brianhunter

I am no where near the level alot of you are

Neither am I. In fact, probably even less than you, so
keep this in mind. If your holster is on the right side, I would
think that it'd be best to use your right hand to just make
sure that pistol doesn't come out of it's holster. Stronger hand,
and closer to the holster. If the attacker's right hand is already
on the pistol, then you can not only keep your pistol secure, but
now you've also got his hand. Then you can do maybe a
glancing salute variation on him (the right hand is just lower),
and break or hyperextend his elbow, and now his best weapon
is neutralized at the least, but if you can complete the tech,
then it's possible he's all neutralized.

If you had your heart set on doing "ID", I still think I'd do a
left downward block, and then lead into it.

Again, I'm testing for Orange this saturday, so I'm speaking from
a seriously limited number of techniques that I know. But I figure
that if I'm way off base here, then I could learn a thing or two
from having my opinion negated.

:asian:

OP
G

GouRonin

I loved Orange belt.
**sniff**
No, wait...I liked purple belt.
**sniff**
Nooooo...I liked blue...
**sniff**
No no no...Brown...
**sniff**
Green was good too though...Oh I loved them all! I'm just so happy!
:waah:

OP
B

brianhunter

good thoughts......I know Sigung Labounty has done some law enforcement training I ought to get ahold of him and see what he has for weapon retention.....

That makes sense....to explain more you made a statement about strond hand, I am left handed and shoot right so thats kinda why I pinned with the left (yeah it makes me an odd duck but I usually shoot 95% or higher right handed)

Good input though like the salute idea

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
dropped that technique years ago.... however I do like it for various reasons...... Suffice to say I don't like it in the Yellow Belt but I do like to add it at some point.

Personally I use the action often and so I like it because I have used it effectively on many, many occasions.

OP
B

brianhunter

Mr. C.
Sibok Kelly has it in the orange belt curriculum (promotion to purple) in place of captured leaves (defense against two finger grab??? I dont know) I know you said youd like to find a way to put it in. I don't know why he did it I just do what he says ;)

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor has Intellectual Departure at yellow belt, but also has Captured Leaves at green belt.

Why did you drop it GD?

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that Mr. Parker had dropped it I thought it was done by the instructors at some point. Which technique did he replace it with?

OP
C

clvlkenpo

IF YOU ARE CARRYING ON YOUR RIGHT HIP YOU SHOULD ALREADY HAVE YOUR LEFT SIDE FORWARD TOWARDS THE PERP SO THAT YOUR WEAPON IS OUT OF HIS REACH. HAVING YOUR RIGHT HAND ON THE WEAPON WOULDN'T HURT ALSO. HOWEVER AS OLD MR COOPER AT GUNSIGHT USED TO SAY, IF YOU THINK YOU NEED YOUR WEAPON, THE ONLY PLACE FOR IT IS IN YOUR HAND!

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93
I wasn't aware that Mr. Parker had dropped it I thought it was done by the instructors at some point. Which technique did he replace it with?

Sword and Hammer

Latest Discussions