Spreading the art II: THE REVENGE.....

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
No, I have not. I will look for it though. Is it something you would recommend?

Paul

Sorry for getting back to this late.

Actually I would recommend the book. However from your posts it sounds like you already are going in this direction anyhow. I read the book several years ago when I was teaching kids TKD at a YMCA. I was use to teaching adults but kids were a different story so I purchased some books on teaching the martial arts to kids and picked this one up as well. It was geared more for overall teaching of both kids and adults.

I was taught TKD from my instructor in a more semi private to private setting at his house, with other adults (senior browns and black belts). due to moving and such (jobs and school) I worked out with different martial art schools with both adults and sometimes kids in class. However I was never prepared for teaching a kids TKD class at a YMCA.

Upon getting the job I looked to other instructors for input and received some but it wasn't much so I sought out outside sources such as these books taking what ideas they presented and applying them in class if I could.

Later on when NAPMA hit the scene a friend and I were thinking about opening up a school I looked into their material and that helped as well. (However we didn't open a school so I never got involved with NAPMA or Century's program, so I don't know what their programs are like now). I remember the TKD Asscociation that I belonged to at the time did hold some classes/2 hr. seminars on teaching kids/adults for their advanced belts as part of a continuing education type program, but I don't know if they still do that.

In conclusion I feel there should be some type of instructor development program for any organization/large school in order to help instructors who come out of the school spread the art/system. It surprises me that generally there isn't much out there for this. However it could be too that since I'm not out there much (in the martial arts community) that maybe there are a lot opf programs and I'm just missing them on my radar screen so to speak.

Mark

Latest Discussions