Sport vs self defense.

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
. The bare knuckle fights we still have and the gypsy fights of course.
Romani wrestling traditions are awesome.

Irish Gypsies are Travellers (and their bareknuckle fights vide "snatch" movie) , they are not the Romani Gypsies. First have Celts/Irish ancestry, second come from India.
I really doubt if Romani(Roma) have any wrestling traditions - there was quite a lot Roma/Gypsies in my neighbourhood when I was a kid in 80' in Poland and they have no connection to any kind of sport. Dance, singing, palmistry, thievery, begging but not sport. Later in 90' tens of thousands of Roma/Gypsies from Romania came to Poland (Romanians do not like Roma at all) and they all were thefts and beggars.
There is quite big minority of Roma in Slovakia and Bulgaria and they live in ghettos which look like poorest brazilian favelas or african villages (Roma were forced by communists in East Europe to abandon their nomadic lifestyle and live in the cities/villages).
Nobody here have ever heard about Roma wrestlers.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Irish Gypsies are Travellers (and their bareknuckle fights vide "snatch" movie) , they are not the Romani Gypsies. First have Celts/Irish ancestry, second come from India.
I really doubt if Romani(Roma) have any wrestling traditions - there was quite a lot Roma/Gypsies in my neighbourhood when I was a kid in 80' in Poland and they have no connection to any kind of sport. Dance, singing, palmistry, thievery, begging but not sport. Later in 90' tens of thousands of Roma/Gypsies from Romania came to Poland (Romanians do not like Roma at all) and they all were thefts and beggars.
There is quite big minority of Roma in Slovakia and Bulgaria and they live in ghettos which look like poorest brazilian favelas or african villages (Roma were forced by communists in East Europe to abandon their nomadic lifestyle and live in the cities/villages).
My post was about fighting not ethnicities, if they identify as gypsies, in the UK we call them that.

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My post was about fighting not ethnicities, if they identify as gypsies, in the UK we call them that.
Yes, but my post was a response to Oil Dragon who confused Irish Gypsies with Romani Gypsies. EOT.

OP
G

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
These guys always look like they’re having fun together.
Seth busts out the sport karate for the 6v1

OP
G

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well that's easy, go read your original post.

"For a skilled sport fighter, often an adjustment of mindset and being able to quickly identify which mindset you need, along with some discussion about tactics and the actual goal of self defense is all the additional training needed"

Icy Mike was not prepared for his opponent, in a self defense sense.

He was clueless. He was worried about the location and how he'd look on camera, shaking hands, touching gloves?

Being a skilled sports fighter is not enough to defend yourself from a dangerous criminal predator.

When I said he was lucky he wasn't skinned and made into a lampshade, I wasn't exaggerating. I was being deadly serious. Collins had a hit list.
Ok bro.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't catch the Irish part but I definitely know of the Travellers. Into the West is my favorite movies about horses. I should have known because Gypsy in the Asian sense been considered a slur for 50 years (because of it's connotation with criminal activity, which is just a little racist).

This is probably fodder for a whole different thread but Roma traditions definitely include hand to hand fighting traditions This is pretty typical for any nomadic people, and like all diasporas they are a potpourri of stuff passed down and picked up a long the way.

Interesting research topic for another day.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
He did defend himself against ninja Ron.
On camera sure. My point was Mike wasn't aware that the guy he was fighting was also a criminal lunatic who was hunting down his online adversaries (Mike was not the only one Collins tracked down, there's video out there of him trespassing into other schools trying to start fights with other martial arts peeps).

So self defense wise he was in trouble. Wins the fist fight, gets clubbed over the head with a pipe and we never see him again. This is easier to swallow if you ever read Ron Collins' many essays online about being a ninja (ie anything goes with ninjutsu, you come at me with fists, you die in your sleep type insanity).

It's really a special case of picking fights with strangers. You don't typically have this issue with actual classes and training, or legit competition, people aren't showing up to start trouble. That's exactly what happened here.

From Kimbo Slice to Icy Mike to Xu Xiaodong, it's important to know your enemy up front.

Sun Tzu 101.

Out of respect for the mods, that'll be the last post I discuss this travesty but I hope at least some people get it.

Last edited:

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Martial arts training in the dojo works like learning about and shooting rifles in the USA Army. If your skills (with s-d in mind) in the martial arts don't get worked correctly and frequently your weapons will dull. If the recruit doesn't follow the information on aiming/trigger control and his lack of skills are so-so, the recruit will not be of much use or effective in combat when the time comes.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
What Icey mike says has largely been my experience with the situations I’ve encountered.

For a skilled sport fighter, often an adjustment of mindset and being able to quickly identify which mindset you need, along with some discussion about tactics and the actual goal of self defense is all the additional training needed.

Icey is right. Trained fighters are the most equipped. It doesn't take much to readjust the mindset for the street; with some training, it would be better but not that necessary for an experienced MMA fighter.

A lot of the RBSD is just mostly Larping; lacking full power sparring.

Latest Discussions