Sport vs self defense.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The guy might have actually been homeless. He was definitely insane and walking down streets filming himself.

I backed it up, too. I pointed out it's on Google.

I don't want to violate the TOS. Can I post challenge fights here? I consider this NSFW.
Everything is on Google, it doesn't narrow it down.

If you don't want to post it publicly, feel free to send me a private message.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Everything is on Google, it doesn't narrow it down.

If you don't want to post it publicly, feel free to send me a private message.
Great idea. Incoming.

How do I send you a PM? If I hit Start Conversation, can anyone else see it?

This is "sometimes, dead is better" stuff IMHO.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great idea. Incoming.

How do I send you a PM? If I hit Start Conversation, can anyone else see it?

This is "sometimes, dead is better" stuff IMHO.
The "Start Conversation" button initiates a private chat between you and the person you are messaging. No one else can see it, not even the mods, unless you invite them to join the conversation.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you can be a big fish in those street beef style ponds pretty easily with a bit of natural talent and some training.

Which makes sense that the conclusion that being able to fight. Is most of fighting.

Which has been my experience as well.

Anyway this is icey mike in street beefs against the first random guy I could find. So people get the general idea.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think you can be a big fish in those street beef style ponds pretty easily with a bit of natural talent and some training.

Which makes sense that the conclusion that being able to fight. Is most of fighting.

Which has been my experience as well.

Anyway this is icey mike in street beefs against the first random guy I could find. So people get the general idea.

Did you catch the part where he said somebody going for a single leg is sign they don't spar often? Then says his jujutsu is bad. OK man thanks for the double bind :D

Maybe he was surprised, and his opponent almost beat him, but by the end of the video it ended well. When people beef, meet up, and become friends that's great.

It doesn't always pan out that way and when it doesn't it creates bad mojo, sometimes on a massive scale.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did you catch the part where he said somebody going for a single leg is sign they don't spar often? Then says his jujutsu is bad. OK man thanks for the double bind :D

Maybe he was surprised, and his opponent almost beat him, but by the end of the video it ended well. When people beef, meet up, and become friends that's great.

It doesn't always pan out that way and when it doesn't it creates bad mojo, sometimes on a massive scale.

I didn't watch all of it. So I don't really have context.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Great idea. Incoming.
I watched it. I didn't really see anything to suggest this was him maliciously picking fights with mentally ill, or anything to suggest he took the fight too far.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If I was to move past the fact that I try not to watch things from Mike, and comment on the suggestion that sports fighting is good training for self-defense training, with the acception of shifting your mindset and making minor adjustments, I totally agree.

I think most people feel that way and agree with that. So I must be missing something?

OP
G

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
He's a former cop who makes a lot of hot takes about martial arts and self-defense. Some of his takes I agree with, some I disagree, and some I'm somewhere in the middle on. If I give him the benefit of the doubt, I think his main goal is to get people to think outside of their bubble, because he will sometimes side with the sport guys, and sometimes with the self-defense guys.

The problem is he doesn't come across like he's thinking outside of his bubble. Every one of his hot takes is delivered as if it is undisputable fact, and if you're going to do that, then you should be right 100% of the time.
No different from anyone else in the self defense community really, and in my opinion it’s about the only way to get through to those who believe 100% in the BS they were taught.

My experience with protecting myself and others physically as part of my profession lines up completely with what mike says.

You may say he doesn’t step outside his bubble, but for that to be true, he must have a very large bubble.
He trains with sports guys all stripes and colors, he trains with various self defense types, and he always accepts that he may be wrong, or that what he says may not be for everyone.

OP
G

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Eh...he does say a lot of wrong things though. I mentioned in my above post about how "the only thing you can do with a gun is shoot them".

But there are some videos that he tests things, and there's flaws in his methods. A big example is when he (and a few others) were testing how easy it is to protect yourself from a groin kick. It's similar to the guy who was showing off how to avoid getting punched in the head. It is very easy to protect a single part of your body if you are not also required to counterattack.

An exaggerated example is if you win by slapping my left hand, and I win if you don't, then I'm just going to turn my body so I'm pushing you with my right hand, and my left hand is behind me.

I've taken enough groin shots in Taekwondo and in my 3 months of BJJ to know that it's not so easy to defend against 100% of them.
It’s not easy to defend against 100% of them, but I’ve also taken many. I wear a cup only when required for a competition, and have taken many, many groin shots. I have never taken one in a training scenario, sparring or otherwise that has left me in a puddle unable to fight like so many seem to believe.

OP
G

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
If I was to move past the fact that I try not to watch things from Mike, and comment on the suggestion that sports fighting is good training for self-defense training, with the acception of shifting your mindset and making minor adjustments, I totally agree.

I think most people feel that way and agree with that. So I must be missing something?
My experience is the opposite especially since most self defense guys never make any attempt to compete full contact, and claim that sport creates bad habits, and that they don’t train the ‘best and most effective techniques’ for self defense.

OP
G

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd rather not. I'm sure if you go look it's under one of this challenge fights, but some mental patient/convict who claimed to be a ninja ended up doing a backyard fight and Mike clocked this dude who was probably drugged out at the time, he himself was a big YouTuber ninja. There were years of forum fallout after.

There's a whole 10+ year history of these fights, but honestly, seeing Mike hurt this dude bothered me. Don't hit sick people man....what's wrong with just training.

I just think online fights are the dumbest thing the Internet produced.
…he was a fraud sure, but calling him homeless, or mentally is just down right disrespectful.

Online fights such as street beefs are no different than any other amateur promotion, and every promotion has equal right and claim to posting their events online.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My experience is the opposite especially since most self defense guys never make any attempt to compete full contact, and claim that sport creates bad habits, and that they don’t train the ‘best and most effective techniques’ for self defense.
My experience is that most of the people I know who train for self-defense, either have competed full-contact, or train with those who have. The idea of the people that train for self-defense but do not actually pressure-test/compete is not one I've found accurate.

OP
G

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
The guy might have actually been homeless. He was definitely insane and walking down streets filming himself.

I backed it up, too. I pointed out it's on Google.

I don't want to violate the TOS. Can I post challenge fights here? I consider this NSFW.
You’re being a massive drama queen. It’s an amateur fight promotion, there not even any visible blood in the video.

OP
G

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Did both fighters consent to the fight? If so, you can't really blame him. If he's going around picking fights with homeless people, then yes, it's a problem.

Like I said, this is a wild accusation, and if you're not going to back it up, then I recommend not making it.
Here’s the video he’s so afraid to show.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I watched it. I didn't really see anything to suggest this was him maliciously picking fights with mentally ill, or anything to suggest he took the fight too far.
Read my response. It's likely that Icy Mike didn't know the caliber of the psycho he fought that day.

He's lucky that dude didn't return and shoot him dead.

That's the risk you run picking real fights with online trolls. You might knock a few out, some might carve you up and make you into lampshades.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
You’re being a massive drama queen. It’s an amateur fight promotion, there not even any visible blood in the video.
I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Look into the background of the guy in that video. Not only is he mentally ill, he's a criminal predator and firearm felon.

If you knew the whole story of how he met Icy Mike, it would blow your mind.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here’s the video he’s so afraid to show.

That wasn't the video.

You really don't know the history of this guy Mike fought?

You don't know drama queens, Jon Snow. That video you posted contains 2 of the biggest online, but the one who isn't Mike is a well known danger to society (legally).

OP
G

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
That wasn't the video.

You really don't know the history of this guy Mike fought?

You don't know drama queens, Jon Snow. That video you posted contains 2 of the biggest online, but the one who isn't Mike is a well known danger to society (legally).
You said he believed himself a ninja, this is ninja Ron. Stop acting a fool and post the video.

OP
G

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Look into the background of the guy in that video. Not only is he mentally ill, he's a criminal predator and firearm felon.

If you knew the whole story of how he met Icy Mike, it would blow your mind.
I googled him. Nothing but this video comes up. So how about you just share all of this **** you claim to have for all to see instead of making a big stage show out of it.

Latest Discussions