Is being a cop self defense

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The thing "being a cop" has going for it is that it's a cops job to "deal with people" in physical confrontations and work with H2H techniques, weapons, de-escalation techniques, etc. (where a 7/11 employee is more likely to be a victim of crime).

SOME Cops actually attend schools specifically focused on crime prevention and personal security for community policing and citizen awareness events.

All that being said. I can see how SOME cops can have more clout in teaching SD (vs. unarmed fighting techniques) than a martial arts instructor who may have more experience in unarmed fighting but not so much on the other "non-fighting" topics.

Of course none of this means I'm making a blanket statement about the profession in general having any specific clout.
Tgace, totally agree but think there's an important distinction to make between who is credible to teach and what is being taught. I'm specifically thinking about the latter.

I completely agree that some cops would be excellent instructors in many different types of self defense training, whether to cops or non-cops. What I'm suggesting is, in the context of the crossing guard, a cop might be an excellent choice to teach a class. However, no matter how good the instructor is, if he is teaching a crossing guard to defend against being shot while "on duty," the instruction will be functionally useless. It's just not a realistic danger in that context.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Because if we worked in specifics. Then you deliberately cherry pick self defence into what you consider important.

I dont really like this nebulous self defence concept anyway. We all just try to fight for ownership of a very vague term.
Show me one instance where I "cherry picked" into what I consider important.

Latest Discussions