Spider repeller

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There is no shame in being scared of spiders. :eek:

For those of us in the real world - have any of you tried those plug-in electronic repellers? This year they're on steroids and I need to bring out the artillery. Are they any good?

Alas, telling me to get a grip doesn't work.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know you don't want to hear this, but spiders eat bugs. Bugs you don't want. If you have spiders, they're eating bugs. If you ditch the spiders, you'll be seeing the bugs. Just sayin'.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know you don't want to hear this, but spiders eat bugs. Bugs you don't want. If you have spiders, they're eating bugs. If you ditch the spiders, you'll be seeing the bugs. Just sayin'.

A spider built a web around a light fixture in a little used room in our house. After discovering him we would turn the light on to help attract bugs to his area and we left him alone.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I prefer the bugs to the spiders, thanks. Especially the enormous, bristly tarantulas we occasionally get here in Texas.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I prefer the bugs to the spiders, thanks. Especially the enormous, bristly tarantulas we occasionally get here in Texas.

Hey, I have no experience with Tarantulas, and I'm not a big fan of spiders either. But if you have no bugs, you have no spiders. I'd say if you want to get rid of spiders, get rid of what spiders eat. They don't hang around if there isn't any food.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
What repells spiders? Why what ever eats Spiders of course! or a big construction boot.

Lori

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was single, my bedroom (in the attic) was a veritable heaven for spiders and ladybugs (hundreds of them). They kept to themselves and I left them alone. In return for the free lodging, they ate every bug that dared enter my domain.

When my girlfriend started staying over, I had to get rid of the spiders. Technically, I didn't -have- to get rid of the spiders, but one has to make choices in life, and I preferred the company of my girlfriend :)

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rather have the spiders and the bugs instead of the spiderwebs :(

ever since i was like 3 I had a mad fear of spider webs.

and NL spiders are harmless and they dont bite. which is why im not afraid of them. Thing i dont like about them is that they make WEBS!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At the end of the day, spiders are on our 'side'. They don't know they are and some of them look scary as all heck but spiders kick butt for the Lord on all things that we most definitely don't like.

For the record, because of several childhood years of having a hole by the light fitting over my head in my bedroom and, thus, having all too many 'visitors' coming in from the loft in search of food, spiders do freak me out. It's not rational but I can't control it - thus, if a particular spider is just too close to "10" on the shudder-scale it has to go.

But that means go outside, via a suitable device such as an empty kitchen-matches box, rather than squished. Make no mistake, unless it is an exotic venomous variety, killing a spider is a blue-on-blue incident :D.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
At the end of the day, spiders are on our 'side'. It's not rational but I can't control it - thus, if a particular spider is just too close to "10" on the shudder-scale it has to go.

This guy IS NOT on our side and is at least a 15 on the shudder-run-shriek-hide and crap your pants scale:
camel-spider.jpg

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They're not real, right? How big are they anyway?

This guy IS NOT on our side and is at least a 15 on the shudder-run-shriek-hide and crap your pants scale:
camel-spider.jpg

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Adopt a cat. Cats are natural hunters they will catch the spiders, play with them for a while and eat them.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They're not real, right? How big are they anyway?
Oh, they are real.
Solifugae is an order of Arachnida, known as camel spiders, wind scorpions or sun spiders, comprising more than 1,000 described species in about 153 genera. They may grow to a length of 7 cm (2.8 in), and have a body comprising an opisthosoma (abdomen) and a prosoma (head) with conspicuously large chelicerae, which are also used for stridulation. Most species live in deserts and feed opportunistically on ground-dwelling arthropods and other animals. A number of urban legends exaggerate the size and speed of Solifugae, and their potential danger to humans.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Adopt a cat. Cats are natural hunters they will catch the spiders, play with them for a while and eat them.

They will eat bugs, too. I moved to a place next to a large chunk of conservation wetlands. The hot summer brought in a few uninvited guests...6 legged and 8 legged...all of whom disappeared once I moved kitty in to the new place. :)

Latest Discussions