Speed.....

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Fellow Artists,
I was just at the Official Site of Mr. Bob Munden, The Fastest Gun in the World, certifed by TGBOWR. .02 seconds for steel downrange from an unmodifed holster. That is fast. And the fact is he's accurate with it too. I've seen him perform and it boggles the mind.
Mr. "Superfoot" Wallace's left foot has been clocked at speeds in excess of 70mph.
Frank Dux claims speeds up around there as well.
If you've seen video of Mr. Paul Mills, well they speak for themselves.

How does one counter this? Granted this is one of those "I'm showing you, the airplane, you're asking me how to fly it" questions, but I'd like to hear from other artist how they go about it. This is a really wide open question. Stances? Attacking the attack? Pre-emptive strikes? It applys to both sparring and on the street. I'll guess I'll state my question as thus:
How do you deal, or prepare to deal with the unexpected, or even the expected in your art? Of course awareness is the first issue and we'll put it by the wayside for the moment. How do you deal?

OP
Hollywood1340

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In response to my own question, it seems absorbtion is the best option for me. Absorbing the attack, and using the motion of your attacker. I've tried force to force and it turns out I don't got enough force to make it work :) ruse and disguise are my weapons of choice with some speed in reserve, very little I might add. "If the unexpected happens, let it, we'll deal with it later. Deal with what comes next and let the unexpected become the only expected thing"
James Maxwell working on his 11th Dan requirement of "Coming up with zen-like qoutes at the drop of a hat"

M

MartialArtist

Are you talking about the gun or the attacks you mentioned. A foot at 70 is fast, but not as fast as a punch from Lee or Ali. Footwork and position is key.

For the gun... There is pretty much nothing you can do. However, his gun is no high-powered rifle. Kevlar and a steel plate. Not practical now, is it. If someone pulls a gun, cooperate. Unless you are going to die anyway.