Getting back in the game?

~shinigami~

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie on these forums.

Here's a little background: I started TKD when I was about 12 and reached 1st Dan when I was 16. After achieving my black belt, I vowed not to be one of those people who quite after getting it. Alas, I became a hypocrite. Many factors led to me stopping TKD. Probably the biggest one is that I entered into the final years of High School and as my goal was to enter dental school, I had to work my butt off so I took a break from TKD. Another reason was that my training buddy who was the same level as me moved away. We always pushed each other hard during sparring, it was an intense rivalry, although we were best friends off the sparring mat. Money was also a problem then. After a bit of a break, I came back but everything seemed off for me. I wasn't able to execute kicks as I used to, I was disheartened and with the added stress of school exams, I quit. Intending to come back after I graduated High School.

The present and the problem: Well here I am, graduated High School and about to head into the first year of university. I recently found my dan certificate and checked the kukkiwon database for my name for fun. It was there and now I feel like going back. If I can put humility aside, I was quite good and very fast regarding my kicks back when I was training but here's the problem. I am now fatter and less fit than before. I can't seem to jump as high nor am I even remotely flexible. Also, I'll be moving interstate so I can't go back to my old dojang.

I apologise in advance for this long spiel and I would appreciate it so much if anyone can give me any advice. Should I train to lose some weight and gain flexibility before going to a new dojang or just bite the bullet and start? If it's the former, do you have any suggestions as to how I can lose weight and gain my flexibility again?

Once again, I'm sorry for the long rant.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Depending upon how out of shape you are I would definitely do some training before going back. Before I started TKD (to lose some weight and get fit) I started doing some exercises 2 weeks before going to my first class. You need to concentrate on 2 things. The first one is aerobic because if your class is anything like mine we do a lot of aerobic activity. The second thing you need to do is to practice your kicks and make sure you can do them fairly well. People will look up to you and ask you for advice. You do not have to be perfect or be super fit but it is useful if you know how to kick properly and you do not get winded in the first few minutes of an aerobic workout. When you go the class do not let pride get in your way, do not be afraid to step out for a minute or so if the activity gets too much. You will be able to keep up eventually but it may take a while. Just remember, what you used to do at 16 you may not be able to do again, just accept it and do the best that you can.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I totally sympathize with where you're at. I've done what you've described numerous times. It's hard to get back into something...especially when there is a perceived disconnect between where you actually are at and where you feel/remember yourself to be.

My expereince says don't put if off. I;ve never successfully implemented a "pre-training" preparation routine. All it ever did was act as a reason not to get started. Your best bet is to stay humble and get yourself back into training. THEN, use outside conditioning and training to accelerate getting back into fighting shape.

The most important thing is to forgtewhat you used to do and just accep tthat you are where you are at. there's nothing wrong with that and its nothing to be ashamed of. Just go in, do what you can do and work at getting better. You'll probably find you'll be back close to your old fighting shape pretty quickly.

Peace,
Erik

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree. As long as you have a clean bill of health from your doctor to perform aerobic activity get back in. Having to perform will help you to lose weight and gain flexibility plus it will make you want to improve outside of class.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Should I train to lose some weight and gain flexibility before going to a new dojang or just bite the bullet and start? If it's the former, do you have any suggestions as to how I can lose weight and gain my flexibility again?

People who wait to get into shape before they start or return to an activity generally don't do it. Find a class you like and join it - talk to the instructor about your past experiences, goals, and what you'd like help with. A good instructor will help you; a poor instructor won't - which is a sign that you might want a different instructor anyway.

Good luck!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will add my nickel here, like Kacey said people who wait keep waiting plan and simple. I started back after a little of a year without training her e is my advise throw everything you learned away for you personal training remember you are just like a beginner with some knowledgeof the Art of TKD was once was may never ever come back but if you keep those pipeline dreams alive you will just give up. Take each day one day at a time and enjoy your training and those that you train with.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with the above about not waiting until you "get into shape" before coming back. Just find a school you like & come back.

It's the hard thing about being a black belt or high ranking student & then coming back after a while: we think we need to be at our former self before we walk on the mat again. Truth is, it's our ego telling us that. Just go back, if medically ok'ed to do so & have fun.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If it was me I'd probably not tell the new class I was a black belt. If you do tell them then are unable to perfom up to blackbelt standards then people will naturally think, 'he's not very good for a blackbelt is he...?'
If you just go in as a beginner, they'll think 'he's good for a beginner isnt he..?'

As you're bound to have retained some of your previous training, you'll probably be graded very quickly anyway.

That's just the way I'd do it, it's up to you of course!

Good luck, to echo what others have said, don't wait, just get started and your fitness will come as you train.

cflick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was once in the same position as you though I never reached first Dan. Due to money issues and both the instructors moving and the school closing down I had to quit. Before I quit I had good technique, great flexibility (could actually do the splits) and competed and even won a few trophies. But quitting was always something that I deeply regretted. And so I get to the University and they Have a Taekwondo club instructed by an 8th Dan Grandmaster. So I decided to check it out and then I joined even with my doubts. And I'm so glad I was able to get back.
You will get your flexibility back (atleast to some degree) and your technique if it was solid before will come back as well.
It'll take some time as mine still could use a lot of work. But I'm no longer embrassing myself :D
I had forgotten all the patterns as well but those came back SO quickly.
And as far as getting into shape...this coupled with running or any other areobic excerise will get you into shape. But again that'll take alittle bit of time.

OP
S

~shinigami~

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank You all for your great advice. I'll be back with a more detailed reply later as I'm in a hurry (need to get my blood test results) but as a quick reply, I totally agree with the thoughts on pre-training making one eventually not go back.

ellies

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I also have been away for some time. This is do to my military career, changing assignments and the current world situation hasn't helped at all. However; while stationed in Iraq, there was a 4th Dan who was teaching self defense. I jumped right in, because like many others I don't have my 1st Dan. While training with this fine gentleman, I was able to return home and I am now working toward my 1st Dan. I wish you all the praise and I will keep you in my prayers!!!

Stay Strong!

TaeKwonDoKevin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie on these forums.

Here's a little background: I started TKD when I was about 12 and reached 1st Dan when I was 16. After achieving my black belt, I vowed not to be one of those people who quite after getting it. Alas, I became a hypocrite. Many factors led to me stopping TKD. Probably the biggest one is that I entered into the final years of High School and as my goal was to enter dental school, I had to work my butt off so I took a break from TKD. Another reason was that my training buddy who was the same level as me moved away. We always pushed each other hard during sparring, it was an intense rivalry, although we were best friends off the sparring mat. Money was also a problem then. After a bit of a break, I came back but everything seemed off for me. I wasn't able to execute kicks as I used to, I was disheartened and with the added stress of school exams, I quit. Intending to come back after I graduated High School.

The present and the problem: Well here I am, graduated High School and about to head into the first year of university. I recently found my dan certificate and checked the kukkiwon database for my name for fun. It was there and now I feel like going back. If I can put humility aside, I was quite good and very fast regarding my kicks back when I was training but here's the problem. I am now fatter and less fit than before. I can't seem to jump as high nor am I even remotely flexible. Also, I'll be moving interstate so I can't go back to my old dojang.

I apologise in advance for this long spiel and I would appreciate it so much if anyone can give me any advice. Should I train to lose some weight and gain flexibility before going to a new dojang or just bite the bullet and start? If it's the former, do you have any suggestions as to how I can lose weight and gain my flexibility again?

Once again, I'm sorry for the long rant.[/quote]
Like Nike says....Just do it!
Jump back in and get kicking. I am so glad I did.
Wish you the best!:asian:
-Kevin

Latest Discussions