Speaking of hitting trees

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like trees. :D

Seriously we had willow trees growing up and a way to strengthen the bark and outside layers of the tree was to hit it with a garden hose.
We had an old one and we cut it up into sections and then I would swing and hit the tree.
Good exercise. Also good for that tree and the impacts micro fractured not fractured and broke away the bark.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I like trees. :D

Seriously we had willow trees growing up and a way to strengthen the bark and outside layers of the tree was to hit it with a garden hose.
We had an old one and we cut it up into sections and then I would swing and hit the tree.
Good exercise. Also good for that tree and the impacts micro fractured not fractured and broke away the bark.
never...and I do mean NEVER...trust a tree

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When we get to the root of this thread's problem I'll plant my feet and say "I think I shall never see, a poem as lovely as that farking tree."
1658419538303.png

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
never...and I do mean NEVER...trust a tree

To be honest , I started when I was little and continued as I grew.
If we lost a branch is was always above the range of my reach :D

And while doing it, the tree would drop branches on me.
Speaking of dropping on me, I have had trees in my backyard drop nuts, branches and what not on my head :eek:

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
To be honest , I started when I was little and continued as I grew.
If we lost a branch is was always above the range of my reach :D

And while doing it, the tree would drop branches on me.
Speaking of dropping on me, I have had trees in my backyard drop nuts, branches and what not on my head :eek:
EXACTLY...NEVER trust a tree :D

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Sanda did hit trees with palms, knees, elbows..... I could never do the knees elbows thing.
My original CLF sifu had "the Stump of Woe" in his back yard. The people in the house previous to him had planted a landscaping post vertically in the ground. Nobody knew why it was there, but he wrapped carpet around in a single layer and we used it for da saam sing, for da Jong, toi Jong, etc... anything that involved repetitive striking with or without partners to rotate ... the Stump got it.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My original CLF sifu had "the Stump of Woe" in his back yard. The people in the house previous to him had planted a landscaping post vertically in the ground. Nobody knew why it was there, but he wrapped carpet around in a single layer and we used it for da saam sing, for da Jong, toi Jong, etc... anything that involved repetitive striking with or without partners to rotate ... the Stump got it.

Padding.....Yeah, I expect that form devil talking sissies :D

My sanda shifu was from Heilongjiang, just hit trees, bark and all, no padding. He hit it with everything you could hit with.... as for me, I was to much of a sissy myself to hit it with my knees or elbows. But to be honest, he was likely the toughest shifu I even had, martial arts withstanding. It was -20 out, and windy, one day, he called for us to train.... push hands and hitting trees outdoors....I showed up in a heavy coat, scarf gloves and an hat...he showed up in only a light coat and looked at me like I was crazy

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Padding.....Yeah, I expect that form devil talking sissies :D

My sanda shifu was from Heilongjiang, just hit trees, bark and all, no padding. He hit it with everything you could hit with.... as for me, I was to much of a sissy myself to hit it with my knees or elbows. But to be honest, he was likely the toughest shifu I even had, martial arts withstanding. It was -20 out, and windy, one day, he called for us to train.... push hands and hitting trees outdoors....I showed up in a heavy coat, scarf gloves and an hat...he showed up in only a light coat and looked at me like I was crazy
HAH!!! Creosote splinters would back even him off ... but if you're used to being so numb to feel when you shanked yourself on a tar infused splinter ... so be it. I prefer my blood moving easily, unpoisoned from the creosote and well within my dermis ... :p

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
HAH!!! Creosote splinters would back even him off ... but if you're used to being so numb to feel when you shanked yourself on a tar infused splinter ... so be it. I prefer my blood moving easily, unpoisoned from the creosote and well within my dermis ... :p

No creosote.... just tree bark.... unless he had me hitting walls....