Sparring a 14 yr old BB

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
ADEPT/MARGINAL

I would also like to add that I do not feel that an old master should give up his rank, that was misunderstood completely.

I was pointing out that the distinction made no sense. I understood what you were saying. I also understood how deeply inconsistant the statement was.

An old master has earned that rank from years of training and proving that what he or she does, is effective and not some joke.

Except they can't do that anymore. Therefore, they cheapen the rank.

I just feel that if you cannot at least make an effective display of martial art techniques while your fighting a worthy opponent, then you realy should not be given a black belt.

Which is why old dudes that can no longer take a hit cannot qualify as BB's any more.

If you have earned this rank in the past, and met the high standards that a black belt should be able to meet, and have became to old to do those things, then of course I dont think there rank should be taken. Thats insane.

Why? Unsuitable is unsuitable. They have the same physical qualifications that the 60 year "old never gonna be, never should be" has.

However, I do feel that if you begin martial arts training at too old of an age, or you have phyisical limitations that keep you from performing as other do, then your rank should not go past a certain level.

Which is why rank should be revoked when that level becomes unmaintainable. Otherwise, the belt is horribly, and unendingly desecrated.

Its kind of like special forces in the military,

Well, except for the fact that it's not like that at all. It's not like the army recalls a 77 year old special forces alum back to active duty.

if everyone who showed heart and would give it there all were accepted regardless if the standard was met, THEN IT IS NOT SPECIAL ANYMORE. I see martial arts the same way.

Then why don't you want to to be really special? Why do you want your belt sullied by a host of can't do's?

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Marginal said:
I was pointing out that the distinction made no sense. I understood what you were saying. I also understood how deeply inconsistant the statement was.

Except they can't do that anymore. Therefore, they cheapen the rank.

Which is why old dudes that can no longer take a hit cannot qualify as BB's any more.

Why? Unsuitable is unsuitable. They have the same physical qualifications that the 60 year "old never gonna be, never should be" has.

Which is why rank should be revoked when that level becomes unmaintainable. Otherwise, the belt is horribly, and unendingly desecrated.

Well, except for the fact that it's not like that at all. It's not like the army recalls a 77 year old special forces alum back to active duty.

Then why don't you want to to be really special? Why do you want your belt sullied by a host of can't do's?
Man, I can tell that we are just not going to see eye to eye on this. I guess we are beating a dead horse now. I think Im done.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I said in my first response, the rank is subjective. At its most basic level, it's just a book mark for the instructors you come across. Someone within your system sees a first dan, and they know what their general technique base is. It also is a book marker for the student. They know roughly how much time and experience they've put in relative to other students.

There are other subtle pressures like trying to measure up to your perceptions of a given rank, how you think you should appear to the lower belts, and how you should appear vs how you do in the eyes of the higher belts etc... But at its core, that's all a belt rank is. The rest is romanticising the rank, if not the journey.

Latest Discussions