Soundtracks for Sparring? Suggestions, Please.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Re: Soundtracks for Sparring? Suggestions, Please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowser666 View Post
same here, I was like music when you spar ? That is odd, how can you focus and maintain good control when you have White ZOmbie blasting.
If you lose focus and control because of some random music in the background how are you going to deal with the real world where there are people yelling at you and everything isn't dojo quiet?

Try:
The first Matrix soundtrack

Drum Sex by Brent Lewis
http://www.brentlewis.com/cd12.htm

The reason I say that is because it is called training. You are meant to be focusing on perfecting your technique. I understand if you " get attacked at a rock concert, club etc......, but if you , in the initial stages of training , are more focused on " this song kicks ***, and singing the lyrics, that means it is less focus on your technique which weakens it. So that when the time comes ( Hopefully not) that you get attacked in a noisy environment , your technique won't be as strong. That was my only point, not trying to start an argument, just saying............... I guess I am just old school , sorry..............

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, CFR and EH nailed it. I'd add Drowning Pool, Let the bodies hit the floor...

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Sounds pretty good! Any others from that soundtrack you recommend?

I like Remy's and Hugo's stage music too( do a myspace music search for "street fighter" and about 3 pages of profiles come up, go through the ones that deal with SF 3 ,and you'll find them both and a few more but Ryu's, Hugo's and Remy's are my favorite).

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
We need some new soundtracks for sparring. I would say that the same three songs are played over and over.

Any suggestions? Lyrics obviously need to be clean as we are a family dojang (and want to promote ethics and good morals).

Sounds like a challenge, eh?

In our studio they always play techno and it bugs me! I'd say you gotta play really good fighting music that can really pump your students up.

Pantera is good just watch out for some songs that are inappropiate. "Tens" i think is a great song for sparring. "Cemetary Gates" "Walk"

Static-X I'd say works well with sparring like a song called "Otsego Undead" also "Black and White"

Powerman 5000 song "When World's Collide" or "Dracula 2000"

AC/DC like "For Those About to Rock"

Amon Amarth "The Pursuit of Vikings" :viking2:

Drowning Pool "Enemy" "Sinner" "Step up" is a perfect MA song and "Bodies" i believe is perfect too but I'm not sure of your inappropiate standards so you're gonna have to check the lyrics yourself of course. ;P

Dethklok "Deththeme" "Thunderhorse"

Godsmack "I Stand Alone"

Megadeth

Metallica

Mudvayne

Rammstein

Rob Zombie

Saliva "Superstar"

Shadows Fall

Trivium is also really good for sparring

I hope this helps. :partyon:

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We need some new soundtracks for sparring. I would say that the same three songs are played over and over.

Any suggestions? Lyrics obviously need to be clean as we are a family dojang (and want to promote ethics and good morals).

Sounds like a challenge, eh?

Would choons without vocal or pure instrumental music not be preferable to songs as such? I might suggest The Crystal Method - Vegas or perhaps Faithless - Forever Faithless, few lyrics, great pacing beats and no profanity :) Good luck.
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you lose focus and control because of some random music in the background how are you going to deal with the real world where there are people yelling at you and everything isn't dojo quiet?

I'd be more worried about falling into rhythms or patterns based on the music

SamT

Orange Belt
Reaction score
When we have music, it's usually selected from the following bands: Corvus Corax, Finntroll (of course if anyone speaks Swedish there then you must take care - while there aren't lyrics with obscenity, political correctness is not always present given the band's theme), Turisas, Therion, early Theatre of Tragedy, Falkenbach.

These go for sparring-training with "archaic weaponry" for the mood. When we train for "possible real life confrontations" we rarely have any music - when we do it's almost always something we don't like. Music we like doesn't disturb us nor does it take our concentration, but something that gives us headaches likely does both, and you can't stop the music if you're attacked in a pub, for example...
Trollhammaren sveper igen!
Hugga ned, broder igen!
Hör det sista ropet -
Trollhammaren är här!

Couldn't help myself :D. At my dojang, most of the sparring music is a bubblegum trance mix with popular songs. Heavier drum and bass is generally good to get adrenaline rushing, or even some gabber. I believe my instructor purchases sparring mixes from Century Martial Arts.

But if Finntroll was suggested... I firmly believe Nile makes for great sparring music :D.

ares

Orange Belt
Reaction score
well, I think that a good soundtrack would be from the "Staying Alive" movie. Far from over. up beat and has power with it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'd be more worried about falling into rhythms or patterns based on the music

I think what FearlessFreep posted is something to REALLY consider before you start training, particullarly sparing to music.

My Xingyi sifu has said most people fight to a rythm and he has used that to his advantage he tends to attack on the off beat, he also watches how people breath when fighting but that is stuff of another post.

Music is great for aerobics class, or Tae bo but for sparing I think you are setting yourself up for picking up some bad or dangerous habits and picking those up unconsioulsy which will lead you to a place you might not want to be shold you ever really need to use what you are training.

I have heard sparing compared to a dance but in my experience it is not.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Having been a professoinal DJ for 9 years and still working with dance music I suggest hard house, euro hard, psy trance, pumping trance, pumping house, Hardcore (watch the lyrics here), hard dance, drum and bass is good if you can find some good tracks that aren't to hypnotising, breaks. Look at www.beatport.com and you will find some great tracks and you cna compile them onto CD to fit your needs. The songs will cost about $1.50 - $2.00 each.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Our demonstration team uses music for sparring, but that's all choreographed and they know what's going to happen.
Free fighting you need to be aware of what's happening and focus on your partner to prevent accidents. That's hard to do with music playing in the background. Studies have shown that human beings will switch their focus to songs they hear, especially familiar songs with vocals. That's dangerous in sparring.

Latest Discussions