Son passed his test

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My son who is 4 1/2 passed his white belt with red stripe or tab. Talk about someone who was excited. He went home and showed his mom, sister, the neighbors. I usually don't push him to do class, but I am usually harder on him then most the other kids. Sometimes when I think he is to young or is he learning anything. He will come up with something that I have said in class. So I know he is listening. We are getting ready for a demo this Friday. I have showed him a jump front kick. He may not be very good at it, but he keeps on practicing this kick. Has anyone else started training their kids at a very young age, and how did they respone when they got their first rank.
Bob :D

K

Kirk

Yes, congratulations! I have a 6 month old girl, and I'm just
hoping she'll be interested in the little dragons program that
my school has, when she turns 4. The thought of her facing
an attacker keeps me awake at night .. this will give me some
peace, when she reaches dating age, if she's still in it at that
time *fingers crossed*

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My 12 year old loves it and my 8 year old really likes it. I work with each of them, separately, each night. We do Modern Arnis mixed with occasional bits of other stuff I've learned over the years; I add a little BJJ for my 12 year old son (from my little experience of it).

OP
K

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Arnisador and Kirk. To me this is a great way to bond with your child. My son and I usually do a little private lesson once a week. It ususally last for only 10 to 15 minutes.
Bob:D

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats. :)

The great thing about this is its giving him something that can stick with him forever, and also gives you a great way to bond with him. Too many parents struggle to find a way to do so.

:asian:

T

tonbo

Hey, please pass along my congratulations to your son on a job well done!! What I tell my students is that the Black Belt isn't necessarily the hardest rank to earn.....it is the white and the next belt after it (yellow, where I come from). Main reason behind that is you have to overcome all the fears, talk, etc. to actually start on your journey. Lots talk about it, fewer actually *do* it.

For the little guys, it is just plain exciting. There is nothing like watching their faces light up when they realize that they just achieved something "cool". I remember when my son passed his first test (he was about age 4). I didn't think he would *ever* calm down!!

Again, congratulations--if you haven't already, buy the young man an ice cream or lego set or something, and help him celebrate BIG time!! :)

Peace--

L

lifewise

Congratulations!

It is always a joy to watch a child take pride in his accomplishments!

E

Eraser

I dont have any children myself.. but i do get a thrill watching them at test time.. or if i get to class early and watch them practising their patters and blocks... I hope someday to have kids and would love to get them involved in MA... Spending time with your kids.. or heck any kids for that matter.. really adds somthing to your life.. Heck... I was an assistant coach in minor baseball this year.. and i was the only adult there that didn't have a kid.. the other adults were surprised at first.. BUT i treated each kid like they were my own... I had a great time...
Have fun with your children.... they will remember those times most fondly when they get older.. i know I do!!!

Peace :asian:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
May I also offer my congradulations to your son and to the proud parents. It is always wonderful when our children accomplish something worth wile. I know he must have worked verry hard to do what he did.
Shadow:asian:

OP
K

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would like to said thank you to everyone for the kind words. It is wonderful to see all the kids do great, but your own is just a little different.
Bob:asian:

F

fissure

Good job to your son! My oldest boy is 5, he just passed his first test (white belt with yellow stripe) so I know the emotions you are feeling.Ain't it cool!!!:)

OP
K

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fissure, congrats to your son also. Yes it is great to see them do good. I wish that I could of started that young.
Bob :asian:

F

fissure

Thanks!
I wish that I could of started that young.
My son could 'swing' his leg to the side over his head the first day of class.I've been stretching for 22 years, if your over about 6' 2", you don't need to worry about me kicking you in the mouth! :D

F

fissure

Yes. I have blended elements from Judo,Shotokan and submission wrestling into my traing/teaching.I have studied these other arts to varying degrees at one time or another, the end result leaves many of the classes I teach looking decidedly un-TKD like. ;)

OP
K

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of the first things I taught my son was the cross body arm lock. When he puts it on me he yells uncle, uncle. Also I have showed him a verison of Tai otoshi, that you does to me.
Bob :D

Latest Discussions