Sharing my son's experience catching a bad guy.

Happy-Papi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys! I have been out for a few months but here again to say hi and to share my son's experience last January 11, 2014. I just copied and pasted this from my Facebook and here it goes...

We just arrived home from the police station to claim our son. Our son helped catch and apprehend a suspect by controlling him from escaping by using CQC (Close Quarters Combat) controlling techniques which left the suspect immobile.

I have learned from the police that he didn't use any aggressive techniques and only used very peaceful yet effective CQC controlling techniques without using excessive force and not giving harm nor damage to the suspect.

As a father and as his CQC-FMA teacher, I am very proud to see him grow-up with responsibility and love for the country. May he always walk tall and proud... OSSU!!!

I didn't post the whole story on FB but the story went like this... My son and his classmate saw a guy who shouted "thief!" and joined in the chase. They caught the guy but my son was the one who grabbed the guy and passed him to the main guy. Then he escaped and the chase was on again. The guy was able to escape 3 times and my son always caught him. During their cat and mouse chase, the guy punched my son on the face and kicked him on his leg plus threatened him that he will kill my son. My son did not punch him back. He just controlled him by using the standing collar hold or just grabbed his arm.

The police called us in to claim our son at the main police station since he is still a minor and to ask us if we would like to file charges against the guy because he punched and kicked our son and for the threats. We didn't file charges because my son told us that he was not injured. Since this happened in Japan, the laws here are different and using force to apprehend someone may backfire to the person helping the law if too much force is used. It was a good move that he did not poke his eyes or slammed him on the concrete head first. He was trained heavily on military CQC and finishing the job is SOP but he was cool all the way. The funny thing is that when I was talking to the police that he assured me that my son did not use aggressive force. Then he showed me how my son used the standing cross collar hold (which was actually a choke and was very military just like what the Spec Ops uses, lol!). Then he showed us how he grabbed his arm (which was actually a joint lock, hahaha!). He also commented that my son should join the forces :)

My biggest question was, why was the guy able to punch and kick my son because it is near impossible to retaliate while being military cross choked (It's like having your Adam's Apple constantly poked and it hurts like hell... this techniques is not normally taught at dojos...) so I asked him. His answer is that he actually gave the guy some slack for him to land some blows on his face. I know that my son has been receiving punches, kicks, have been slammed to the ground, twisted, grappled, choked and bled many times since he was young. A punch on his face will make the bad guy look "more bad" to the eyes of the people... Yes his techniques was SOP where you receive hits first but I was surprised that he was crazy enough to follow it. Then I asked, "why did you follow it?" his answer is "because it's Standard Operating Procedure"... lol! This reminded me during my younger days when my senior says "jump", we don't ask "how high", we just jump, hahaha!

My son is now 17 and rarely goes to the dojos. We rarely have the time to train together but he still does train by himself but not as often as he should.

Many of us have been training all our lives to see real action but I guess what separates practitioners from the untrained is that practitioners perform much better and has the luxury to think and control the situation while the untrained often losses it :) I really believe that allowing my son to cross-train from aggressive/offensive CQC-Traditional FMA to defensive Japanese Martial Arts really helped his character and decision making. Our training and his dojo training plus the numerous street fights he experienced before I believe also helped him keep his cool.

I hope you enjoyed my son's experience. Keep cool and keep on training!

Latest Discussions