Something positive

Elbowgrease

Green Belt
Reaction score
Something positive, discovered through martial arts, or a positive outcome that may not have been possible without time spent in training first.

I am alive today. I defied gravity and stood up. I won this battle again.
I know that I can ALWAYS do one more push up, take one more step, spend ten more seconds in the horse stance, shoot one more punch.
I know that, regardless of what the world might throw my way, I can take it. Until the thing comes along that kills me, and I probably won't know about that anyway.
It doesn't matter what anyone says, I've been called that before. Probably been called worse. Probably in several languages. I can take it.
I've been hit harder than that before. I know I have. I know that no one can hit me harder than I can.
I know that there will always be someone out there who is bigger, badder, faster, meaner than me. When I meet them, I want their advice, opinion, guidance, wisdom.
Because of martial arts, I know that the principal of a thing is the important part to learn. Generally, the principal of one thing could be used to begin to understand anything else. The similarities are astounding.
I know that when I have the opportunity to instill the same values in the next generation, if I do so I can help the next generation grow to be good people. I can teach them how to work hard and study, and they might learn why not to fight.
I know that balance is essential. Balance between extremes. In all things.
I know that I am a part of a tradition (a brotherhood, a BIG extended family) that has spanned countless generations, and will continue for countless generations into the future. I know that we, the members of this community past, present and future, understand that the real secret, the only secret is hard work, discipline, integrity, courage, humility, selfless service...
I know that anyone who finds out that martial arts are a part of their life has done a lot of push ups, sit ups, punches, had too many cuts, bruises, broken bones, spent too much time contemplating conflict (and the resolution of conflict).
Our similarities bind us, and overcoming our differences makes us strong.

So what good can I do with this?
I have to have a better reason to live than to seek out and destroy my enemy.
Is it really all about helping that elderly couple get their groceries to their car?
Is it really about working to see the positive and lifting each other up so that we don't spend all our time tearing each other down?
We are the warrior class. If we come together, we ARE the strongest. We can have a massive impact on the world, I think it should be a good one.

Maybe it's a little bit over the top.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something positive, discovered through martial arts, or a positive outcome that may not have been possible without time spent in training first.

I am alive today. I defied gravity and stood up. I won this battle again.
I know that I can ALWAYS do one more push up, take one more step, spend ten more seconds in the horse stance, shoot one more punch.
I know that, regardless of what the world might throw my way, I can take it. Until the thing comes along that kills me, and I probably won't know about that anyway.
It doesn't matter what anyone says, I've been called that before. Probably been called worse. Probably in several languages. I can take it.
I've been hit harder than that before. I know I have. I know that no one can hit me harder than I can.
I know that there will always be someone out there who is bigger, badder, faster, meaner than me. When I meet them, I want their advice, opinion, guidance, wisdom.
Because of martial arts, I know that the principal of a thing is the important part to learn. Generally, the principal of one thing could be used to begin to understand anything else. The similarities are astounding.
I know that when I have the opportunity to instill the same values in the next generation, if I do so I can help the next generation grow to be good people. I can teach them how to work hard and study, and they might learn why not to fight.
I know that balance is essential. Balance between extremes. In all things.
I know that I am a part of a tradition (a brotherhood, a BIG extended family) that has spanned countless generations, and will continue for countless generations into the future. I know that we, the members of this community past, present and future, understand that the real secret, the only secret is hard work, discipline, integrity, courage, humility, selfless service...
I know that anyone who finds out that martial arts are a part of their life has done a lot of push ups, sit ups, punches, had too many cuts, bruises, broken bones, spent too much time contemplating conflict (and the resolution of conflict).
Our similarities bind us, and overcoming our differences makes us strong.

So what good can I do with this?
I have to have a better reason to live than to seek out and destroy my enemy.
Is it really all about helping that elderly couple get their groceries to their car?
Is it really about working to see the positive and lifting each other up so that we don't spend all our time tearing each other down?
We are the warrior class. If we come together, we ARE the strongest. We can have a massive impact on the world, I think it should be a good one.

Maybe it's a little bit over the top.

Perhaps the premise lies in another time though.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
and confidence :)

theres to such thing as too much confidencr

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are many positives to martial art training. Firstly the physical skills like balance and coordination, health through fitness and stretching, mental through conquering you insecurities and, as identified in the OP, a world wide band of brothers.

I reckon that's more than enough to balance numerous bruises, the odd black eye or the split lip.
:D