Some help please!

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, it's funny how one thing leads to another. I went down on Wednesday to do some 'self defence' work with them, I was prepared along with the other leaders to talk over what happened etc. for the first hour they making paper chains and cutting 'snowflakes' for a Christmas party they were organising for the Brownies. We all sat around the table cutting and sticking thinking they'd want to have a chat, not a bit of it! They were their happy normal selves! They chatted about X Factor (ugh lol) and other programmes, pop stars and all the things they usually do so we left it, there didn't seem any point in going over it if they were now settled and happy. For the last hour we did some techniques, not many because I'd rather not 'overload', we covered safety aspects and I showed them how to punch so they could hit the pads. Happy guides, they said they'd like to do a bit more next term which will be fine.
However the Ranger group, the older girls from 14 upward knew about the incident last week and that I was doing some things with the Guides and have asked me to come along and do a two hour session with them. It seems they also have an ulterior motive, one of them we found out this week is cutting herself because of bullying at school and a difficult family background ( it was noticed at school this week so school started the ball rolling), they reasoned that learning some self defence would help her. The Rangers more or less run themselves under the eye of an adult leader, they plan their own activities and trips. they have also arranged for a Girl Guide Peer Educator to come and talk to them!
So I now have a proper session to do with them, as they are older I'm going to include alcohol safety, a couple of them are off to university next year which is a whole different thing from our quiet rural living. I'm proud of the girls proactive approach to their Guiding sister though. In Guiding we have advisors to help on situations like self abuse so I will be getting all the help I need. The self harming isn't our problem to solve of course with but we feel we can be that 'safe space' where they can be themselves and not feel pressured which we hope will help while the professionals do their work.
Thank you for all your advice and help, I love martial artists!

Nothing wrong with adding a bit of pad work to the Guides' and Rangers' curriculum : )

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions