Some guidance for a beginner would be SUPER appreciated.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with drop bear. It's not about whether a program focuses on self-defense vs sport, it's about how intense they are in training either of those approaches. Serious sports training requires a good bit of conditioning, it just may mean doing ab exercises and suicide sprints and agility ladder drills, rather than doing knuckle pushups and conditioning your bones to withstand being hit.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I'm Not promoting anything im just proud of my Karate school Like everyone else im not here to say come joined my karate class im just here to to see whats the post is and reply to them why are you assuming im promoting all all I say is my instructor does FMA and his instrucctor is Guro dan innosanto nothing wrong with that he can go to any FMa in Usa. well when i was new they ask me what style you do whats your lineage whose your instructor and were your studio so i tell them im not here to promote and ya im proud of my karate school and instructor and nothing wrong with it

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
rather than doing knuckle pushups and conditioning your bones to withstand being hit.
Conditioning and increasing bone density is an important factor when training martial arts for self-defense purposes. If a person's training doesn't include this then that person is going to run into situations where techniques can't be effective because of improper conditioning.

For example, I wouldn't suggest that a person use a spear hand technique unless they have been conditioning their fingers in a way will allow them to use that technique without injuring themselves.

Fight against someone who has proper conditioning and you soon discover that it's like fighting a person made of concrete.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with drop bear. It's not about whether a program focuses on self-defense vs sport, it's about how intense they are in training either of those approaches. Serious sports training requires a good bit of conditioning, it just may mean doing ab exercises and suicide sprints and agility ladder drills, rather than doing knuckle pushups and conditioning your bones to withstand being hit.

Well... sort of...
Sport training needs to be focused on endurance and built around the ruleset being used.
Self defense training needs to be about short bursts, and the conditioning is an absolute must. Because you don't have pads to protect you.
Ask Mike Tyson. While he has never been an exemplary example of a fine human being, I doubt there are many who will deny his abilities as a boxer (and ear biter).
But what happened when he punched someone outside the ring? He broke his hand.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well... sort of...
Sport training needs to be focused on endurance and built around the ruleset being used.
Self defense training needs to be about short bursts, and the conditioning is an absolute must. Because you don't have pads to protect you.
Ask Mike Tyson. While he has never been an exemplary example of a fine human being, I doubt there are many who will deny his abilities as a boxer (and ear biter).

Nacer Bouhanni, a French professional cyclist is missing the Tour de France this year because he got into a fight in a hotel and broke his hand. He thought he could fight because he's also a kick boxer. The consequences for him as one of his team's best sprinters is likely to be quite severe, a big loss of earnings for sure and perhaps his job, at least though it's only his hand, it could have been worse physically.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nacer Bouhanni, a French professional cyclist is missing the Tour de France this year because he got into a fight in a hotel and broke his hand. He thought he could fight because he's also a kick boxer. The consequences for him as one of his team's best sprinters is likely to be quite severe, a big loss of earnings for sure and perhaps his job, at least though it's only his hand, it could have been worse physically.

Exactly. If you only train to hit things while wearing pads, then you better not hit things without those pads.
I encourage students early in their training to do bag work with limited force and wraps/gloves. Force is gradually increased, and protection is gradually decreased. Those who are training specifically for self defense are encouraged to aim for the goal of being able to strike full force without protection of any sort. Initially, I think a softer bag such as the WaveMaster is ideal. Later, I think something considerably firmer (and with anatomical targets) like BOB is better. Makiwara and breaking practice is also a good idea.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well... sort of...
Punching without the gloves is not the same as punching without gloves. Any weaknesses in a punch technique, wrist strength, and hand conditioning will come to light when punching without gloves. I've seen guys who would pound a heavy bag like a monster, but almost break their wrist and scrape the skin off their knuckles when hitting the bag without gloves.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
People break their hands while wearing gloves as well. You shouldn't punch anything with poor technique.

Punching a moving opponent is different to punching a stationary object.

I saw this guy who did this thing. Then he did that other thing and got hurt.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm Not promoting anything im just proud of my Karate school Like everyone else im not here to say come joined my karate class im just here to to see whats the post is and reply to them why are you assuming im promoting all all I say is my instructor does FMA and his instrucctor is Guro dan innosanto nothing wrong with that he can go to any FMa in Usa. well when i was new they ask me what style you do whats your lineage whose your instructor and were your studio so i tell them im not here to promote and ya im proud of my karate school and instructor and nothing wrong with it

Stay proud, bro.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People break their hands while wearing gloves as well. You shouldn't punch anything with poor technique.

Punching a moving opponent is different to punching a stationary object.

I saw this guy who did this thing. Then he did that other thing and got hurt.
We do mobile pad training for the very reason that opponents move. Punching a moving target requires much more coordination and body positioning than kicking or punching a heavy bag.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. If you only train to hit things while wearing pads, then you better not hit things without those pads.

Some more info today watching Le Tour, not just a broken hand, there was stitches as well in which infection set in so quite nasty, C'est vraiment stupide de faire une chose pareille!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some more info today watching Le Tour, not just a broken hand, there was stitches as well in which infection set in so quite nasty, C'est vraiment stupide de faire une chose pareille!

Punching someone in the mouth is a foolish move. It's not all the effective a target (although not everything that strikes the mouth was aimed at the mouth) and ends up in a lot of stitches and infections.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Punching someone in the mouth is a foolish move. It's not all the effective a target (although not everything that strikes the mouth was aimed at the mouth) and ends up in a lot of stitches and infections.
yep.. That's why tiger claw techniques from kung fu work the way they do. It's the answer to how to hit someone in the face without messing up the hands from smashing someone in the mouth with a fist.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep.. That's why tiger claw techniques from kung fu work the way they do. It's the answer to how to hit someone in the face without messing up the hands from smashing someone in the mouth with a fist.

Or you can just not start fights.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is going to sound terribly attitudinal and somewhat confrontational but I don't intend it that way, I am merely saying what I'm saying and not trying to make a point.

If you can find yourself a Tomiki-ryu Aikido school (like my own or those with whom I know) you'll be able both to learn a art that it is terrible in its beuty and elegance... and it's ability to do mayhem to an opponent. I spend all day in class saying to people, "We do it this way in kata so we don't hurt our partner, the street-do version is... right... here."

There is a squeak/squeal and we stop immediately so that someone can get themselves back in order, then we continue.

We regularly do in class our own version of sparring (I've been 25+ years in hapkido & taekwondo so I know hwat sparring is, and what it is for), and what we're doing in our classes is exactly sparring, though to the untrained eye it wouldn't look like it. Anyone with 10 years in woul look at us and go, "Oh, yeah I see what they're doing there."

If you wanted a semi-competitive outlet, you can get it in the Tomiki system's randori tournaments, or in our subbranch of informal just "figure it out" informal sparring session stuff. It's a lot of fun, and can hurt people real bad, real quick just like any other MA.

We had a bad training accident in class last year, as it happens. Two guys, who should have known better, were going a bit too fast, using a bit too much power, and I *my fault* had turned around to speak to someone else, when I heard SNAP-snap... and I turned around to find one of my 1st degree black belt student standing over a brown belt with eyeballs huge and bugging out of his head saying, "I didn't mean it! I didn't mean to ..."

He had broken the other student's tibula and fibula, simply because of a weird fall. Ambulance came, we picked him up and packed him on the cart, the whole thing.

Aikido is fun. It's dangerous as hell and the people who don't know... just don't know. I know there's lots of poo-poo patty-cake out there... but that's not aikido, out of the aikijutsu. There's some real bad mojo out there, trust me.

I guess you'd need to lay hands on me and mine to know, but that's OK. We welcome visitors and nay-sayers and doubters alike. As long as we can go train, we can go drink beers and there's no hard feeling after.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"We do it this way in kata so we don't hurt our partner, the street-do version is... right... here."

We don't do it gently in kata, we do it the same way we do anything, as realistically as possible

He had broken the other student's tibula and fibula, simply because of a weird fall.

That happened at a seminar I was at and at an MMA fight night.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

images

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well... sort of...

Both approaches are forms of conditioning, though. "Conditioning" doesn't only refer to damaging your bones in order to make them stronger. It's any kind of training regimen you do to make you stronger, faster, tougher.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We do mobile pad training for the very reason that opponents move. Punching a moving target requires much more coordination and body positioning than kicking or punching a heavy bag.

Yeah, for sure. A heavy bag is good for power or for getting your technique/footwork down just so, but you need the dynamic drill too. One of my favorites is where the target holder is moving towards the person striking and they have to retreat and hit.

Latest Discussions