Solid Stances

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a new style of martial-art, but not many people have heard of it yet. It's called 'Ketchup Karate'. Simply smother yourself in the stuff, and your attacker will be unable (or unwilling) to get any kind of hold on you!!

Ah, you Brits are always one step ahead of us!

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
2. all stances are transitory,
Actually a minor correction with major implications. All stances are not transitional. Stances are transitional in application. However, every stance has the capacity to be solid in and of itself. The applications of stances and the act of transitioning from one to another is a separate issue.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Actually a minor correction with major implications. All stances are not transitional. Stances are transitional in application. However, every stance has the capacity to be solid in and of itself. The applications of stances and the act of transitioning from one to another is a separate issue.
Excellent observation!

Stance: The manner, posture, or pose in which one stands (from Wiktionary). Static.

But our techniques move from stance to stance. Dynamic. The stance(s) are component parts of the techniques, just like the blocks, strikes, traps, locks, etc. I don't think we'd classify those as transitory?

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Thank you, perhaps it would be more accurate to say that stances are all functional? By this i want to highlight that training a stance and using one is not an end in and of itself, rather a function of self defense.

respectfully,
marlon

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course! :banghead: I've been struggling to articulate this duality since this thread began...unsuccessfully. Thanks for doing the thinking for me. :D

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you, perhaps it would be more accurate to say that stances are all functional? By this i want to highlight that training a stance and using one is not an end in and of itself, rather a function of self defense.

respectfully,
marlon

I'm sorry sir, I have no idea what you're saying.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Like any MA , IMO , stance training is mandatory, it helps build a strong foundation , as well as strengthens legs. I study Chang Chuan and we do a lot fo stance work, and I never knew that there was so much muscle in my legs waiting to pop out ! Its a great stregthening excercise. Yeah all stances have their impracticalities for the purpose of fighting etc...... but you need strong roots !

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah all stances have their impracticalities for the purpose of fighting etc......
Well, actually all stances have a practical purpose in "fighting," not the other way around as you state. Stances are like "words," if they are used out of context, than the purpose of their use may be obscured and misunderstood.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If a CMA interloper can be tolerated for a moment; stance, IMO, are very important

One of the styles I train is Hebei Style Xingyiquan and stances are the basis and the root of all forms and all fighting applications. Without a proper stance or proper stance training you have nothing, no root, no speed and no power.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
If a CMA interloper can be tolerated for a moment; stance, IMO, are very important

One of the styles I train is Hebei Style Xingyiquan and stances are the basis and the root of all forms and all fighting applications. Without a proper stance or proper stance training you have nothing, no root, no speed and no power.

You're preaching to the choir here brother. :)

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sheesh, they let anyone in here now, huh? :rofl:

Just kidding, don't hurt me. :)

No root, no speed, no power. Love it. :bangahead:

Took me years to understand what my old San Soo sifu meant when he said, the eight basic foot movements (stances/postures) are the foundation of the art, and every time I teach or workout, seem to learn another shade of meaning to these simple movements. :yoda:

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

In application, I teach that stances are reference points. They have to be able to be solid in and of themselves, but in application, the amount of time you remain in the solid stance is not the issue, it is that you are in the correct stance at the correct point in time.

End point focus/timing indicates that one is not really in the stance fully until that point, but, just as important, one does not remain in the stance beyond that point.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all that took the time to reply! :) Like I said, IMO, stances are the key to pretty much everything we do. Even when moving, we're in a stance, so obviously making sure its stable is important.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

you see i agree completely and perhaps it is merely semantics but stance and rooting are two different things. where as a stance imo, is either where you are and your anatimocal structure in relation to your attacker(s) and / or the goal you wish to accomplish; or, stance is to train rooting. Fighting applications can be executed by different stances even to accomplish different things but to root is to root. As you have said no root , no power, no speed, no viable stance

respectfully,
Marlon

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
you see i agree completely and perhaps it is merely semantics but stance and rooting are two different things.

I agree they are 2 different things.

But proper stance training also trains rooting but rooting should not be dependant on the stance. And there can be times in any stance you do not want to be rooted.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
In application, I teach that stances are reference points. They have to be able to be solid in and of themselves, but in application, the amount of time you remain in the solid stance is not the issue, it is that you are in the correct stance at the correct point in time.

End point focus/timing indicates that one is not really in the stance fully until that point, but, just as important, one does not remain in the stance beyond that point.

Excellent description sir.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

What do you mean "reference points"?

marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree they are 2 different things.

But proper stance training also trains rooting but rooting should not be dependant on the stance. And there can be times in any stance you do not want to be rooted.

agreed.

marlon

Latest Discussions