So what does everyone think about Simone Biles withdrawing from the Olympics due to her mental health issues?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It sounds like she has an anxiety disorder, because she has a lot piled onto her. That will make a mess out of anyone, when the people around you demand that you be flawless. There are winners and losers of events, but there aren’t any flawless people.
I'm flawless. I perfectly make mistakes guaranteed lol

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
It sounds like she has an anxiety disorder, because she has a lot piled onto her. That will make a mess out of anyone, when the people around you demand that you be flawless. There are winners and losers of events, but there aren’t any flawless people.

True....but let's not forget a lot of what is expected is due to her marketing herself as the G.O.A.T for endorsements.

While it sucks she had to pull out....she still probably made millions in endorsement deals prior to it....so I don't feel too bad for her....lol.

BigMotor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
True....but let's not forget a lot of what is expected is due to her marketing herself as the G.O.A.T for endorsements.

While it sucks she had to pull out....she still probably made millions in endorsement deals prior to it....so I don't feel too bad for her....lol.
What good is that, if you end up committing suicide? People have done it before. Fifty or one hundred million dollars, will buy you a fabulous house and luxury, but it wont give you peace.

The singer Karen Carpenter comes to mind.People may not mean to suck someone else dry, but they get to wrapped up in them, especially if they are the money maker.

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
What good is that, if you end up committing suicide?

WTH? Where did that come from?

Nothing about her problem has suggested depression or suicidal thoughts....

She has a mental block from possibly the stress.....gymnasts experience this often and overcome it. She will overcome it or retire as one of the best if not the best and make millions in book deals, analysts/commentary, and public appearances.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't even see this as a "mental health" thing. Losing your orientation is a significant physical problem in a routine. But then some people wouldn't be satisfied until she broke her neck. She did the right thing and protected herself, supported her teammates and finished in an event that didn't require "twisting" in the air and won a medal. What's not to like, not to mention some of her teammates got medals they wouldn't have if she had competed.

BigMotor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
WTH? Where did that come from?

Nothing about her problem has suggested depression or suicidal thoughts....

She has a mental block from possibly the stress.....gymnasts experience this often and overcome it. She will overcome it or retire as one of the best if not the best and make millions in book deals, analysts/commentary, and public appearances.
People routinely kill themselves while they are under severe stress. You are blind to reality, because there is an intrinsic possibility of suicide.

She gave up her dream and she may try again in the next Olympic, but she is done with this one.

Maybe she will be fine, but to be aghast that I brought it up is silly.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
IMO - this did not just occur , her coaches should have known better than to put her in this position, She should not have been on the team. Once she quit on her team mates she should have been replaced and sent home.
I disagree. It's just like any injury, illness, or other incapacitating event. Way I see it is if she had a high ankle sprain or other physical issue, there would be no discussion. This is no different, in my opinion. Trust her, the coaches, and the doctors to make the call, and if she can't compete, she can't compete.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, because having loads of money always makes up for the trauma of being sexually abused as a young person ....... for years. It even carried on long after the FBI were involved.The
Glad you find it all amusing.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, because having loads of money always makes up for the trauma of being sexually abused as a young person ....... for years. It even carried on long after the FBI were involved.The
Glad you find it all amusing.

Well, I never said anything about the sexual trauma or laughed about it.

I was just talking about her developing the twisties and having to pullout of competition. Career wise her spot as the winningest Olympic gymnast is locked in and she has had a great career and is set financially.

Career wise I don't feel bad that she didn't win one more all-around....without it she is still an all-time great.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I never said anything about the sexual trauma or laughed about it.

I was just talking about her developing the twisties and having to pullout of competition. Career wise her spot as the winningest Olympic gymnast is locked in and she has had a great career and is set financially.

Career wise I don't feel bad that she didn't win one more all-around....without it she is still an all-time great.

Why is money always considered the indicator of happiness and success?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why is money always considered the indicator of happiness and success?

Because often times one of the goals of having a career is to provide financial security and a good quality of life for you and your family.

So by achieving financial security you have succeeded in fulfilling that career goal.

When I chose a career in law enforcement, one of my goals was to provide financial security for my family and myself and (knock on wood) so far I have succeeded in that.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
At first I frowned on it....because of the team aspect.....until it was explained that she developed something called the twisties.

It is a phenomenon that gymnastics can develop. Basically you lose the ability to recognize space and dimension while flipping through the air and puts you out of control.

If that is the case....it made sense to withdraw because she could not help the team.
The team aspect is actually something I respect her a lot more for. It's a lot tougher to quit on your team then it is to quit on yourself, for most people.

And it wasn't really quitting on her team (although I'm sure many people interpret it that way, and the thought may have crossed her mind). She recognized, that given her current state, she was not the best person for her team. In any sport, if I'm competing for something and someone knows that they won't do well, I'd much rather them inform us of that, then have them try to push through and lose (or get injured in this case) as a result.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because often times one of the goals of having a career is to provide financial security and a good quality of life for you and your family.

So by achieving financial security you have succeeded in fulfilling that career goal.

When I chose a career in law enforcement, one of my goals was to provide financial security for my family and myself and (knock on wood) so far I have succeeded in that.

However you didn't start work as a child and you have a family, two things Ms Biles had to deal with that you don't.

Financial security is one thing, being made to compete in gymnastics while passing kidney stones is another. If she was doing it all for many and came shouldn't wouldn't have reported the abuse, it could have very easily destroyed everything she's worked for. Your situation is in no way comparable to hers but money is supposed to make everything alright?

Her mental health is her priority at this time, I have no doubts that the powers that be in American gymnastics care very little about her health as they've already shown. There seems to be a general toxicity and unwillingness to change the atmosphere in gymnastics, in the UK there's allegations flying if bullying and body shaming. This is not how we should be treating young people, telling them it'll be fine because if they succeed, at a huge cost to themselves, they'll be rich and famous is not good enough. This isn't a 'career and financial security' this is a horror story.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
However you didn't start work as a child and you have a family, two things Ms Biles had to deal with that you don't.

Financial security is one thing, being made to compete in gymnastics while passing kidney stones is another. If she was doing it all for many and came shouldn't wouldn't have reported the abuse, it could have very easily destroyed everything she's worked for. Your situation is in no way comparable to hers but money is supposed to make everything alright?

Her mental health is her priority at this time, I have no doubts that the powers that be in American gymnastics care very little about her health as they've already shown. There seems to be a general toxicity and unwillingness to change the atmosphere in gymnastics, in the UK there's allegations flying if bullying and body shaming. This is not how we should be treating young people, telling them it'll be fine because if they succeed, at a huge cost to themselves, they'll be rich and famous is not good enough. This isn't a 'career and financial security' this is a horror story.

Again.....I'm not referring to the mental trauma from the sexual abuse. It's my understanding that it is a separate issue than why she had to withdraw from competition.

I now remember why I took a break from this site.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again.....I'm not referring to the mental trauma from the sexual abuse. It's my understanding that it is a separate issue than why she had to withdraw from competition.

I now remember why I took a break from this site.

Because you didn't think it's all joined up? Trauma isn't a separate issue, it's all bound up together and informs how she is today.
I presume you took a break when you didn't like being disagreed with.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

True, but I suspect it's not prominent in the decision to become an Olympian. That's a lot of years and opportunity cost for a poor chance at making significant money. Going into law enforcement is probably a better route.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
True, but I suspect it's not prominent in the decision to become an Olympian. That's a lot of years and opportunity cost for a poor chance at making significant money. Going into law enforcement is probably a better route.

I dunno.

At 18 years old, Biles turned down a college scholarship to turn professional and recieved 2 million dollars in endorsement deals. She went to her first Olympics the next year.

Sounds like she took a pretty good career route.

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes she has an anxiety disorder. Probaly PTSD as well from the sexual abuse she suffered from Larry Nassar as well. Hope she gets well.

Latest Discussions