So what does everyone think about Simone Biles withdrawing from the Olympics due to her mental health issues?

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So what does everyone think about Simone Biles withdrawing from the Olympics due to her mental health issues?

From what I have read she has suffered from anxiety before this. She has said
"I Therapy has helped a lot, as well as medication. And I feel like that's all been going really well,” Biles said Tuesday night. “But then whenever you get a high-stress situation, you kind of freak out. You don't really know how to handle all of those emotions, especially being here at the Olympic Games.”

Anxiety is not a new phenomenon for Biles. She told Olympics.com in early 2020 that she was “having breakdowns,” and that, a year earlier, “I forgot how to twist and flip.” She had similar troubles in the leadup to the Rio Olympics in 2016.

In the media I have heard people react to this in basically 2 different ways. One side says she is a coward for not facing her fears and stress and she quit on her team.
The other side says in this statement from USA Gymnastics "We wholeheartedly support Simone’s decision and applaud her bravery in prioritizing her well-being. Her courage shows, yet again, why she is a role model for so many."

So is she a quitter and a coward or brave and do you applaud her bravery in prioritizing her well-being?

Me personally I have personally let fear and anxiety make me quite many things in life. I'm not proud of that. So I understand why she withdrew. Anxiety disorders and mental health issues very real.

But I also don't think quitting should be rewarded as well.

So what do you think? Was what she did brave or cowardly?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Personally, I totally support her decision. Here's the way I think about it. If she had a physical injury and couldn't compete, would we be talking about whether she is brave or cowardly? These athletes train injured and under extreme emotional and mental pressure all the time. They deal with both all the time.

I can't recall many (if any) examples where we second guess decisions to sit out due to physical injury or illness. We trust their judgement. I don't see the media or the public saying things like, "Hmm... was she faking her ankle injury? Is her decision to withdraw due to a severe high ankle sprain cowardly or brave?" This isn't any different, IMO.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think she definitely did the right thing - for herself and the team. Gymnastics is a most demanding sport (even art) - not to demean the demands of other sports, say running. In track, competitors are either sprinters or long distance. All they do is run. It is more one-dimensional. Gymnastics is literally 3-D and the movements and precision required to be world class are just about off the charts, more than we can imagine. And along with this comes the pressure and stress of being perfect every time.

Now, to this, factor in the fact that in 2019/20, athletes were training for the expected start of the Tokyo Olympics, mentally and physically focused to "peak" just before time - but, then, it is put off for a year, and they have to ramp up all over again. This is very draining on several levels, especially in a sport as complex as gymnastics.

Putting this in a shorter time frame, imagine running a mile race and at the last 200 yards, you start your kick, the sprint to the finish, giving it your all. Then, a few yards out, the finish line is suddenly moved ahead another quarter mile. ?

Then, you have the pressure of expectations on your shoulders . You are the best in the world. You know it, your team mates, coaches, and Olympic committee knows it, the entire nation knows it. And even though you've been the World Champion, year after year, after year, after year.., they expect you to be the very best, again. And, you're only 24 years old (though old age for a female gymnast.)

All of the above can easily give rise to a form of PTSD. Good for Simone for having the presence of mind to realize that, this time, she just didn't have it in her to perform at Olympic medal level. Putting her team first, she dropped out. Her legacy should be untarnished - She has dominated American and World gymnastics for a long time, but all good things must come to an end. She will always be a Champion.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think she definitely did the right thing - for herself and the team. Gymnastics is a most demanding sport (even art) - not to demean the demands of other sports, say running. In track, competitors are either sprinters or long distance. All they do is run. It is more one-dimensional. Gymnastics is literally 3-D and the movements and precision required to be world class are just about off the charts, more than we can imagine. And along with this comes the pressure and stress of being perfect every time.

Now, to this, factor in the fact that in 2019/20, athletes were training for the expected start of the Tokyo Olympics, mentally and physically focused to "peak" just before time - but, then, it is put off for a year, and they have to ramp up all over again. This is very draining on several levels, especially in a sport as complex as gymnastics.

Putting this in a shorter time frame, imagine running a mile race and at the last 200 yards, you start your kick, the sprint to the finish, giving it your all. Then, a few yards out, the finish line is suddenly moved ahead another quarter mile. ?

Then, you have the pressure of expectations on your shoulders . You are the best in the world. You know it, your team mates, coaches, and Olympic committee knows it, the entire nation knows it. And even though you've been the World Champion, year after year, after year, after year.., they expect you to be the very best, again. And, you're only 24 years old (though old age for a female gymnast.)

All of the above can easily give rise to a form of PTSD. Good for Simone for having the presence of mind to realize that, this time, she just didn't have it in her to perform at Olympic medal level. Putting her team first, she dropped out. Her legacy should be untarnished - She has dominated American and World gymnastics for a long time, but all good things must come to an end. She will always be a Champion.

What you haven't mentioned is the continual sexual abuse she suffered from the team doctor for years, the stress of being the one that blew the whistle when the authorities didn't want her to, the horror of reliving it all and the knowledge this was news all around the world as well as the online racist and misogynist abuse she's still getting.

Then there's the Olympic gymnastic judges telling her they wouldn't be marking her highly because her techniques can't be done by other gymnasts.

She's reported to have said she lost herself doing the vault, a very dangerous thing to happen while you are in the air.

Yes, she was right to withdraw herself, totally. She stayed to support her team, fetched them chalk, drinks etc, hugged and encouraged them.

She is a tremendously courageous and strong young woman, a role model and she deserves time to herself, to recover and go on to do whatever she wants. I have huge admiration for her, she's more than just a survivor she's a beacon of hope for other sexual abuse and rape victims as well as a remarkable athlete.

I watched the gymnastics on Eurosport, all the neutral commentators had Russia as favourites,several of their gymnasts are European champions. They also have some new very talented girls, two of whom were too young to compete last year, that haven't been seen much of because of lack of competition due to Covid, with the judges already indicating they'd mark Biles down it was unlikely the US would win gold, so those blaming her for losing gold are very wrong.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I hope she's okay.

The last vault she did, the one that led to her removing herself, you could see it in her run up. She was different, stiff, unsure in the eye. Fortunately she didn’t seem to get hurt.

I support her one hundred percent, I wish her well. It must be very difficult being in her shoes, even without whatever issues she’s struggling through. She’s been doing gymnastics since she was eight, more and more with every passing year. And that training is hard as nails. I think she is, too.

She went through foster care, went through the Larry Nassar horror show, and now this turning point in her life.

I wish her all the best.

cismab

White Belt
Reaction score
I think that's completely her choice. I respect her decision (For what it is worth since she doesn't know me personally and shouldn't take anything anyone else says into consideration for her own personal decision). As for the media... News these days has turned into editorial comment and frankly I don't feel its either news or anyone else's business. I wish her well.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unfortunately people like Piers Morgan have this to say.
"Are ‘mental health issues’ now the go-to excuse for any poor performance in elite sport? What a joke. Just admit you did badly, made mistakes, and will strive to do better next time. Kids need strong role models not this nonsense."

This is someone who doesn't understand how important being in the right mindset is. Especially for someone flipping around. Stray thoughts while doing stuff like that can result in broken limbs, injuries and even death. That's why there's a saying "Get your head in the game." If you can't do that then everything after that sucks.

Stuntmen won't do stunts if they feel off. This is what happens when your "mind isn't in the game."

You know what Piers Morgan does when his "mind isn't in the game"? He takes the day off or goes on Vacation.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
At first I frowned on it....because of the team aspect.....until it was explained that she developed something called the twisties.

It is a phenomenon that gymnastics can develop. Basically you lose the ability to recognize space and dimension while flipping through the air and puts you out of control.

If that is the case....it made sense to withdraw because she could not help the team.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's any of my business.
Largely, I agree.

However, I will say that, if she feels unsafe, she needs to step down. I've told officers working for me that they should stay home if they're head isn't going to be in the game -- and 90% of the time, it's not really a big deal for them if they are a little off. They just can't control when the 10% isn't going to happen. Here -- she KNOWS she's going to be doing very physically and mentally demanding techniques that have a high chance of injury if they go wrong. I'd rather she step back than be carried off in a stretcher, possibly never to walk again -- or worse.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Largely, I agree.

However, I will say that, if she feels unsafe, she needs to step down. I've told officers working for me that they should stay home if they're head isn't going to be in the game -- and 90% of the time, it's not really a big deal for them if they are a little off. They just can't control when the 10% isn't going to happen. Here -- she KNOWS she's going to be doing very physically and mentally demanding techniques that have a high chance of injury if they go wrong. I'd rather she step back than be carried off in a stretcher, possibly never to walk again -- or worse.
I agree. I can only say that I have zero right to say what Simone Biles does. It is literally not my business, and I don't think I have any right to an opinion on the matter. I'm very sorry for what she must be going through.

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is well said.

Attachments

• simone.jpg
    simone.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 122

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately people like Piers Morgan have this to say.
"Are ‘mental health issues’ now the go-to excuse for any poor performance in elite sport? What a joke. Just admit you did badly, made mistakes, and will strive to do better next time. Kids need strong role models not this nonsense."

This is someone who doesn't understand how important being in the right mindset is. Especially for someone flipping around. Stray thoughts while doing stuff like that can result in broken limbs, injuries and even death. That's why there's a saying "Get your head in the game." If you can't do that then everything after that sucks.

Stuntmen won't do stunts if they feel off. This is what happens when your "mind isn't in the game."

You know what Piers Morgan does when his "mind isn't in the game"? He takes the day off or goes on Vacation.

I have a personal 'interest' in Piers Morgan. I wish him all kinds of hell visited on him.
When he was the editor of a newspaper here in 2004, he knowingly published a fake story about British soldiers torturing a prisoner, it even had faked up photos of 'actors'. This put soldiers lives even more at risk than they were. The regiment concerned at the time was stationed here where I am, I was working with many of them and a couple were our martial arts students. They'd already lost soldiers when an ambulance was attacked. The Commanding Officer of the regiment was actually incandescent with rage, he proved the photographs were faked though and Morgan was fired as editor.

Before that though a young girl had gone missing, her parents and the police believed she was still alive because the messages on her mobile phone had been accessed. They were sadly very wrong, she had been murdered some time before and the messages had actually been hacked by journalists belonging to the same group, though another paper but Morgan admitted he had listened to the messages. He did not inform the police. After that came out so did the fact that many celebrities and others had also had their phones hacked so stories could be put in the newspaper.

Piers Morgan walked out of his job on television here when the weatherman called him out on one of the bigoted comments he made. Took his microphone off while on air and just walked off leaving the other presenter on her own..........

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
He's a real dirtbag.
I have a personal 'interest' in Piers Morgan. I wish him all kinds of hell visited on him.
When he was the editor of a newspaper here in 2004, he knowingly published a fake story about British soldiers torturing a prisoner, it even had faked up photos of 'actors'. This put soldiers lives even more at risk than they were. The regiment concerned at the time was stationed here where I am, I was working with many of them and a couple were our martial arts students. They'd already lost soldiers when an ambulance was attacked. The Commanding Officer of the regiment was actually incandescent with rage, he proved the photographs were faked though and Morgan was fired as editor.

Before that though a young girl had gone missing, her parents and the police believed she was still alive because the messages on her mobile phone had been accessed. They were sadly very wrong, she had been murdered some time before and the messages had actually been hacked by journalists belonging to the same group, though another paper but Morgan admitted he had listened to the messages. He did not inform the police. After that came out so did the fact that many celebrities and others had also had their phones hacked so stories could be put in the newspaper.

Piers Morgan walked out of his job on television here when the weatherman called him out on one of the bigoted comments he made. Took his microphone off while on air and just walked off leaving the other presenter on her own..........

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Usually I have a book to write, but I don't even know what to say. I had no idea he was evil.

KungfukennyG

White Belt
Reaction score

"I Therapy has helped a lot, as well as medication. And I feel like that's all been going really well,” Biles said Tuesday night. “But then whenever you get a high-stress situation, you kind of freak out. You don't really know how to handle all of those emotions, especially being here at the Olympic Games.”

Anxiety is not a new phenomenon for Biles. She told Olympics.com in early 2020 that she was “having breakdowns,” and that, a year earlier, “I forgot how to twist and flip.” She had similar troubles in the leadup to the Rio Olympics in 2016.

In the media I have heard people react to this in basically 2 different ways. One side says she is a coward for not facing her fears and stress and she quit on her team.
The other side says in this statement from USA Gymnastics "We wholeheartedly support Simone’s decision and applaud her bravery in prioritizing her well-being. Her courage shows, yet again, why she is a role model for so many."

So is she a quitter and a coward or brave and do you applaud her bravery in prioritizing her well-being?

Me personally I have personally let fear and anxiety make me quite many things in life. I'm not proud of that. So I understand why she withdrew. Anxiety disorders and mental health issues very real.

Why in the world would anyone be remotely qualified to offer an opinion on this amazing athlete. You live her life and then "offer your opinion." How about practicing instead of starting a dumb thread?

wolfeyes2323

Green Belt
Reaction score

IMO - this did not just occur , her coaches should have known better than to put her in this position, She should not have been on the team. Once she quit on her team mates she should have been replaced and sent home.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMO - this did not just occur , her coaches should have known better than to put her in this position, She should not have been on the team. Once she quit on her team mates she should have been replaced and sent home.
I interpret this differently. Her withdrawing from the various competitions allowed her team mates to win medals, which some of them did, and more than likely wouldn’t have if she had competed at the top of her game.

I find the esprit de corps among the USA women’s gymnastic team not only uplifting, but likely life changing for several of them.

BigMotor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It sounds like she has an anxiety disorder, because she has a lot piled onto her. That will make a mess out of anyone, when the people around you demand that you be flawless. There are winners and losers of events, but there aren’t any flawless people.

Latest Discussions