So I'm kind of confused what to do here.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One word: Bolo. AKA Chung Lee.

Bolo Yeung was an bodybuilder and actor, not a fighter. I do not know that he ever fought competitively, and it's easy to make someone look like a badass on camera.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ironbear24, why do you care so much what other people think about you?[/QUOTit

Becuase that is a sign that I am good at something if people see me and go "oh hey, that's guys awesome."

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bolo Yeung was an bodybuilder and actor, not a fighter. I do not know that he ever fought competitively, and it's easy to make someone look like a badass on camera.

Hm, maybe I should go into acting? Just kidding I don't have the talent for that.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Becuase that is a sign that I am good at something if people see me and go "oh hey, that's guys awesome."
Not necessarily. You could very easily turn into a charlatan. The guys who do the no touch ko's had plenty of people who saw them and said "oh hey, that guys awesome", but then when they go to fight someone not in their 'system' they discover that isn't the case.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not necessarily. You could very easily turn into a charlatan. The guys who do the no touch ko's had plenty of people who saw them and said "oh hey, that guys awesome", but then when they go to fight someone not in their 'system' they discover that isn't the case.

Are you talking about EFO? I thought it was pretty unanimous those people are all liars.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Well, no, it's more a sign that you derive your self worth from external validation. Which isn't good.

You cannot fix your insecurities by relying on the opinions of others. And that is what you're trying to do.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you talking about EFO? I thought it was pretty unanimous those people are all liars.
It currently is, but not in the past, and there are plenty others like them.

I was trying to avoid saying this since I don't know you in person, but there's no point in avoiding it...like DD said, based on all your posts it seems like you rely way too much on others opinions of you and belittle those who have opinions that don't involve how awesome you are. My guess is that this is the cause of your relationship issues with friends/gf, rather than the MA directly. It's also probably the reason that you feel a need to compete so badly, and make sure others acknowledge your styles/other martial artists acknowledge your abilities. I would highly recommend working on that before concerning yourself with competing, as it may cause huge problems for you down the line.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Exactly. He didn't try to be a fighter and a body builder at the same time. He competed in body building competitions not fighting competitions. He practice kung fu, but his focus and goal was to be a successful bodybuilder. The kung fu was a plus, while bodybuilding was the goal. Ironbear will have to make a similar choice. I'm sure once he gets over the hump in his weight lifting he'll just set another weight lifting goal higher than the previous goal.

Set your accomplishment bar lower. If you can do something that someone else can't do then you are good at it. When most people say that something is awesome, it's mainly from the perspective that you are doing something that they can't do or wish they can do.

Don't live your life for "Pats on the the back."

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Exactly. He didn't try to be a fighter and a body builder at the same time. He competed in body building competitions not fighting competitions. He practice kung fu, but his focus and goal was to be a successful bodybuilder. The kung fu was a plus, while bodybuilding was the goal. Ironbear will have to make a similar choice. I'm sure once he gets over the hump in his weight lifting he'll just set another weight lifting goal higher than the previous goal.

Set your accomplishment bar lower. If you can do something that someone else can't do then you are good at it. When most people say that something is awesome, it's mainly from the perspective that you are doing something that they can't do or wish they can do.

Don't live your life for "Pats on the the back."

I was at the gym today training and a guy walked up to me and asked if I fight in mma, I said right now I don't have the money for that, so then he asked me well what martial arts experience do I have, so I told about my experience and he seemed impressed.

He said he could tell I know how to punch and that my kicks look very strong, he then asked me how to kick so I showed him a roundhouse, he asked for where I train and I gave him the dojo's phone number. It's things like this that make me proud of myself, it might seem stupid to some of you but it's things like this that tell me I am doing something right, the fact that this stranger basically came up to me saying he has seen me here a couple of times and thought I actually fight in mma as of now means I must be doing something right.

And who knows maybe I just brought my sifu more business, as far as if I am going to stay there or not, I pretty much decided I have to talk to him first, I need to ask him a few more things before I make a decision.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not necessarily -- it's a sign that they think you're awesome, and are they authorities on the subject? Now, I get the idea that it's good when a teacher or master thinks that way, but some average bozo? You're just letting them manipulate you. If they think you're a loser, then you go 100% all-out to try to prove them wrong, you'd just be dancing for them like a performing animal. You'd be letting them run your life, because you'd be letting them determine what you do, and what you do is your life.

Why isn't it enough that you think you're awesome, or at least a Proficient Martial Artist because of all the hard work you've already done, and all the great things you can already do? Then you could get those bozos out of your head, and make a little room in there to focus on life's important things instead of always trying to impress the average bozo? You're better than that, man.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you want to be a bodybuilder or a fighter? Unfortunately you won't be able to be both

Unless I've missed it somewhere in a different thread, IronBear hasn't said anything about bodybuilding. Weightlifting is a training method used by bodybuilders, but it's not exclusive to them. I'd venture to say that most people who do weightlifting are not bodybuilders.

Having huge muscles will eventually affect the range of motion used in fighting. There is a reason why fighters don't look like bodybuilders. If all of that muscle mass was of benefit then all fighters would look like bodybuilders.

Fighters don't (usually) look like bodybuilders, but having lots of muscles mass is absolutely a benefit in fighting. That's why we have weight classes.
hi-res-5932624_crop_north.jpg

Brock_Lesnar_mug_display_image.jpg

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fighters don't (usually) look like bodybuilders, but having lots of muscles mass is absolutely a benefit in fighting. That's why we have weight classes.

Another thing to consider about professional fighters, is that they're also entertainers. Their job is to fight. The way they get paid for doing their job is, ultimately, people are willing to pay money to watch them fight.

Bear with me here.

One of my new students at Judo is a Professional Wrestler and some-time Pro-Wrestling Trainer. He explained to us that it's dreadfully important for pro-wrestlers to be bulked, manly looking. Otherwise, they become "The Concession Fight." That's the fight were the fans to to the concession stand because they're not interested in watching you fight. They look at the Concession Fight guys and think, "I could take him." The title match guys, the fans look at and think, "I want to BE him."

There is a very strong financial incentive in the entertainment fighting industry to be cut, bulked, and manly looking. In a very real way, more muscles indirectly equals more money even if it doesn't directly mean more ability to fight. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was at the gym today training and a guy walked up to me and asked if I fight in mma, I said right now I don't have the money for that, so then he asked me well what martial arts experience do I have, so I told about my experience and he seemed impressed.

Impressing someone who knows nothing about a subject is pretty easy. And meaningless.

He said he could tell I know how to punch and that my kicks look very strong, he then asked me how to kick so I showed him a roundhouse, he asked for where I train and I gave him the dojo's phone number. It's things like this that make me proud of myself, it might seem stupid to some of you but it's things like this that tell me I am doing something right, the fact that this stranger basically came up to me saying he has seen me here a couple of times and thought I actually fight in mma as of now means I must be doing something right.

A person who knows nothing about how to punch or kick can be impressed by the amount of moving the bag does in your videos. Those who know how to punch and kick will point out that it means you're doing it wrong. Impressing someone who knows nothing about the subject does not mean you're doing something right (nor does it mean you're doing it wrong). It merely means that person knows nothing about the subject.

Everyone enjoys compliments. There's nothing wrong with that. But compliments from ignorant strangers don't actually mean anything and shouldn't be used to determine if you're "doing something right" or not.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Everyone enjoys compliments. There's nothing wrong with that. But compliments from ignorant strangers don't actually mean anything and shouldn't be used to determine if you're "doing something right" or not.
Unless that stranger is a hot chick, right?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a very strong financial incentive in the entertainment fighting industry to be cut, bulked, and manly looking. In a very real way, more muscles indirectly equals more money even if it doesn't directly mean more ability to fight. :)
There's also the personal ego factor. When Tim Silvia got busted for steroid use, he claimed that he wasn't looking for competitive advantage - he just used the steroids because he was jealous of his peers with their ripped bodies and six-pack abs getting on the covers of the fitness magazines. I wouldn't be surprised if he was telling the truth.

Nevertheless, regardless of how good the muscles look, having them is a competitive advantage. That's why bantamweights don't compete against heavyweights.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not necessarily -- it's a sign that they think you're awesome, and are they authorities on the subject? Now, I get the idea that it's good when a teacher or master thinks that way, but some average bozo? You're just letting them manipulate you. If they think you're a loser, then you go 100% all-out to try to prove them wrong, you'd just be dancing for them like a performing animal. You'd be letting them run your life, because you'd be letting them determine what you do, and what you do is your life.

Why isn't it enough that you think you're awesome, or at least a Proficient Martial Artist because of all the hard work you've already done, and all the great things you can already do? Then you could get those bozos out of your head, and make a little room in there to focus on life's important things instead of always trying to impress the average bozo? You're better than that, man.

I didn't realize other people had that much control over me. They should not have such power like that, so I will stop giving it to them.

What good is martial arts if I can't control and dictate my own actions? I see it now, I guess it just took somebody to put the way you did. My body also isn't responding that well to this level of training, my legs hurt when I walk and my elbow hurts when I bend it.

It's been that way for close to a month now and hasn't improved. I think I'll take my girlfriend to the movies before she kill me.

Last edited:
OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unless I've missed it somewhere in a different thread, IronBear hasn't said anything about bodybuilding. Weightlifting is a training method used by bodybuilders, but it's not exclusive to them. I'd venture to say that most people who do weightlifting are not bodybuilders.

I don't body build, what I do is I weightlift for body mass. Body building is about building muscle tone by lifting and dieting down to lose body fat. I don't care about how good I look in a speedo because I am not evil enough to damage the eyesight of the other people.

The profile pic is me with a panda haphazardly Photoshopped over it, I'm muscular but I'm no WWE superstar. It also very easily for me to put on fat and hard for me to shed it, but it is pretty easy for me to put on muscle compared to other guys I've seen.

I am not sure of you guys are familiar with the three somotypes ectomorph mesomorph and endomorph, but I would be a mix of endo and meso due to my large skeletal frame, shorter height and how easily I can get fat as well as gain muscle.

I pretty much accepted that I I'll always be at least 15% body fat which is not bad but by body building standards that is terrible.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry but I don't agree we all love martial arts but in the end you've got to have more than that. You won't be able to lift weights forever or train 7 days a week forever and when it comes to the time you must stop there'll be no one around you. I'm sorry but those comments about your girlfriend aren't nice at all. If your ignoring her and spending all your time training what do you expect quite honestly. I understand you have goals but that doesn't mean it has to be this way do you think pro fighters are 100 % fighting no they have wives, kids hell the heavyweight champion is stil, working as a firefighter and it seems your instructor is right to not let you spar if the first time you do you injure someone. You say it's not your fault because their smaller than you well that's the whole point of marital arts self control. I'm sure your instructor could put you in hospital easily when showing a technique but he's got the control to not do it which it does see you don't have. Honesty I think you should take a small break

Well just look at how Bruce Lee trained. He would be doing drills with the Wing Chun dummy while his friends would go out for pizza and when they got back he would say he's almost done before switching to his other hand.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I didn't realize other people had that much control over me. They should not have such power like that, so I will stop giving it to them.

What good is martial arts if I can't control and dictate my own actions? I see it now, I guess it just took somebody to put the way you did. My body also isn't responding that well to this level of training, my legs hurt when I walk and my elbow hurts when I bend it.

It's been that way for close to a month now and hasn't improved. I think I'll take my girlfriend to the movies before she kill me.
Hey! You are awesome! :D

Latest Discussions