So I walk into this dojo today

OP
Omar B

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its usually the other way around with the MMA on the front in big letters only to find out its a single style of martial arts.
I wouldnt care about affiliations. Affiliations are cool because they help make sure you are training with a qualified instructor of a system, but they are run like business, and cost like one too. When I joined my karate i was turned off that they werent part of the Kyokushin group, and didnt use the title Kyokushin, i did some research and found out that you cant carry Kyokushin or Oyama in your title if you arent part of the main groups, and the history of the politics and backstabbing between the groups made me no want to be affiliated with any of them anyway. So i came to terms with being in an unafiliated karate school, we are like lone wolves facing off with other unaffiliated kyokushin schools, and with skinkyokushin organisation (who are allowed to fight with other kyokushin outside their org.)
I had a similar experience in hapkido in queens. My friend was interested in training and I recommended hapkido, here are some of this instructors stupid comments.
"Do they teach you THAT!?" he says while teaching his class, he yelled this toward me after I revealed i trained in karate...
"Next time, you cant watch, i dont allow people to sit in and watch" Dumb thing to say considering theres large see thru windows, and chairs around the matt.
"they dont teach you this....", again, toward me... yet I was looking to join...
His sales pressure was really high. He had a beautiful dojang tho, but he only had two students.

I hear what you are saying man. Being part of an organization means something, lineage, organizational support, grade transferability (important for me who splits his time between NY and FL) among other things. But I won't scoff at a non-organization school if they are teaching the style properly.

My sensei is the same sensei I started with at 5-16 years, but I move around a lot and we lost touch. Now we train at his house on weekends when he's around or during the week, but I'm not officially apart of Seido. Doesn't mean I couldn't walk into an official school and what I'm doing jibes exactly with what they are doing.

repz

Green Belt
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying man. Being part of an organization means something, lineage, organizational support, grade transferability (important for me who splits his time between NY and FL) among other things. But I won't scoff at a non-organization school if they are teaching the style properly.

My sensei is the same sensei I started with at 5-16 years, but I move around a lot and we lost touch. Now we train at his house on weekends when he's around or during the week, but I'm not officially apart of Seido. Doesn't mean I couldn't walk into an official school and what I'm doing jibes exactly with what they are doing.

Yeah, i hear you. My girlfriend brought up the fact how hard it would be if we moved to florida (shes been wanting to move to florida, and I'm still scratching my head at "we" and "moving in together") and I dont achieve black belt before then. I have prior training in kickboxing and shotokan, so I think I have a headstart toward black belt (though I'm not rushing, nor do I care really) in knockdown karate, but I can most likely transfer to Oyama karate and Kyokushin since its the same thing ( especially since my sensei started with kyokushin and left to join Shigeru Oyama when he moved from japan to nyc in the 80s) and they tend to promote good fighters and technique.

Thing is, regardless, I'm cross mixing with another art, so if I am in IKO1 under Matsui, or Shinkyokushin under midori, that all goes down the drain once I drop the syllabus to mix in my new style to it, since I cant carry the Kyokushin name, nor be part of the organisation anymore, so it makes sense to stay where I am at and avoid the huge belt fees and monthly/yearly payments. Besides, we fight official shinkyokushin and unaffliated ex-ashihara karatekas all the time, with no limit or restrictions and politics that stop us from mixing, fighting, and becoming friends.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying man. But I walked in because the huge sign outside said "Karate." Silly me for expecting karate right?

I hear ya, and it is frustrating. Unfortunately, for the uneducated, "Karate" is the term they associate with all martial arts. I trained Kung Fu, as did my son. Then my son trained TKD for a while. Didn't matter, if we said we were going to class, everyone else called it "Karate class". *sigh*

Sad that this school felt the need to use the term for marketing purposes. A newbie going in wouldn't know the difference. Shouldn't the goal be to educate? Even a generic "Martial Arts" would be better than "Karate" IMO.

repz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tell that to the new Karate Kid movie, starring Will Smiths son, and jacky Chan, who are doing obviously kung fu, which what looks like to be in China. I guess they didnt want to part ways with the Karate Kid title.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tell that to the new Karate Kid movie, starring Will Smiths son, and jacky Chan, who are doing obviously kung fu, which what looks like to be in China. I guess they didnt want to part ways with the Karate Kid title.

Yep. Case in point. ;)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally I'm not so concerned about a place that uses the term "karate" on their sign. Some people that I have held in very high regard have done similar things. The purpose of a sign is to get people in the door. Once they are in the door, then educate them in person.

"Extreme Hisardut"

I have gotta ask: what is that??

Daniel

Something you probably would not have heard of had Krav Maga not become profitable. ;)

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
"Extreme Hisardut"

I have gotta ask: what is that??

Daniel

The next step in a somewhat ridiculous progression that begins with an up and coming style (krav maga), continues with the advent of closely related styles (hisardut), and "ends" with having to find ever more exciting descriptors to make you stand out from the guys next to you.

Kinda reminds me of how scientists keep having to come up with new terms for "really very big" each time they discover newer and bigger examples of squid.

Pretty soon, we'll all be assailed by colossal squid trained in extreme hisardut. Then Omar will deeply regret not having taken this training opportunity.

Stuart

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
( especially since my sensei started with kyokushin and left to join Shigeru Oyama when he moved from japan to nyc in the 80s)
Quick clarification question, are you saying your teacher moved from Japan to NYC in the 80s or Shigeru Oyama did?

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will personally sign on to any discipline that will allow me to train as an extreme hisardut colossal squid.

repz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Quick clarification question, are you saying your teacher moved from Japan to NYC in the 80s or Shigeru Oyama did?

My instructor came from kyoto japan to nyc in the 80s, and joined Shigeru Oyamas organisation instead of staying with his original kyokushin organisation.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I looked up Hisardut and found this:
http://www.hisardut.com/index.htm

Jujutsu base with strikes and practical self defense. Gee. Sounds like hapkido. Developed in the sixties by a guy named "Dennis Hannover, a 9th dan black belt and founder of the system." Apparently, it is called Dennis Survival Ju Jitsu in Israel.

Placing the word, "extreme" in front of anything is a huge turn off for me. Usually it means a lot of acrobatics and gymnastics and very little practical application, or its just an existing system marketed to sound cool.

I would ask what qualifications the instructor has to teach this art.

Daniel

blink13

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think that using the word "extreme" means that you're doing something normal, but while wearing Oakleys and a Camelbak.

Latest Discussions