So I walk into this dojo today

Master Stallion

White Belt
Reaction score
Omar,
If you are still in Ft Lauderdale, you have a unique opportunity to train with one of the best grandmasters of our generation. He is my teacher and recently moved down to Melbourne FL...about an hour or so north of Ft Lauderdale. He started a school down there and it would definitely be worth your while to take a trip to check it out. He teaches very traditional kung fu that I guarantee will be like nothing you have ever seen. He has a website: traditionaltempletraining.com Check it out if you ever get a chance to take a trip to Melbourne.

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've known Kyoshi Steve for over 15 years and IMO you would be fortunate to train with him and his people. He is a legitimate master instructor in the Kenpo lineage, however he has sought to cross train with some of the best people available. Both his Muay Thai skills and his BJJ skills are legitimate as both a fighter and instructor. If you are a traditionalist who wants to stay within a certain system, that is fine, but realize that their are many legitimate martial artists who choose to expand and grow beyond this. While there are many out there who claim cross cetification that is NOT earned, I can tell you that he is a first rate teacher and an outstanding martial artist. (BTW, I am NOT one of his students or have ANY affiliation with him. I do have quite a bit of respect and admiration for the man and his organization though).

There are many out there who might be turned off by how professionally run and orgainzed his schools and org. is, but he probably balances first rate teaching and training with professional business skills better than anyone out there. The martial arts community is one of the very few that would have a large contingent that would see this as a minus, but so be it. He is one of my personal role models of what a professional martial arts educator should be.

Master Stallion

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer but no, I hate all Chines Martial Arts as a rule. Don't ask why, they just do nothing for me.[/QUOTE

Martial artists as a rule are supposed to be open minded. Its a shame you feel this way...especially because as a fighting art, what my teacher has to offer is second to none. PERIOD.

OP
Omar B

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Look at digging up an old thread! Yes I know martial artists should be open minded, that's how I know I don't like CMA, put a new wrinkle in your brain there didn't I?

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Martial artists as a rule are supposed to be open minded. Its a shame you feel this way...especially because as a fighting art, what my teacher has to offer is second to none. PERIOD.

Omar could have been a tad more diplomatic. But he was under no obligation to be so. Nor to be enthusiastic about your teacher. I'm glad YOU are, but that doesn't mean that he or anyone else needs to be. Your view of your teacher's excellence is an opinion. And you're clearly entitled to it. Omar is equally entitled to his that Chinese martial arts aren't his cup of tea. That doesn't make him closed minded. He's simply determined that gung fu doesn't match up with his preferences. PERIOD.

bribrius

Green Belt
Reaction score
Omar,
If you are still in Ft Lauderdale, you have a unique opportunity to train with one of the best grandmasters of our generation. He is my teacher and recently moved down to Melbourne FL...about an hour or so north of Ft Lauderdale. He started a school down there and it would definitely be worth your while to take a trip to check it out. He teaches very traditional kung fu that I guarantee will be like nothing you have ever seen. He has a website: traditionaltempletraining.com Check it out if you ever get a chance to take a trip to Melbourne.

That actually sounds like something i wish we had around where i am.

The first vid ..... the music, dancing...

i think it was martial arts. Definatley not my cup of tea. They did have some skills but WAY too many people and TOO theatrical as someone already noted. i kept thinking of a parade or circus. I think nice, small, disciplined schools without so much of whatever that was is a good thing to encourage. I started watching that and i was just "wtf?????"

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying man. But I walked in because the huge sign outside said "Karate." Silly me for expecting karate right? I for one never got the whole hodgepodge of styles thing but maybe it's because I'm from a Seido/Kyokushin background.

Yes, she does a great job of representing her dojo. should have seen my face though, when she said Kenpo I immediately said "Great, I have Infinite Insights, it's one of my favorite books" then I was informed it was not strictly Kenpo and I was sad.

Marketing and ability aside they are not doing anything much differnt than the Karate styles you state did, mix up things to vreate their own blend.

How many different arts did Oyama study before founding his on style?
I know he studied some traditional Korean art and then karate (Shotokan) when he was still in Korea, and I know he studied Gojo Ryu, I think he also did some kind of Gung Fu (White Crane I think, it's been a long time since I read up on him) and Judo.

Now odds are Oyama did a better job than these folks but unless your studieing a true Koryu or some Shaolin Gung Fu, traditional is a word and even with those examples, they blended arts and changed things as time went on.

Just dont sign nothing.

Latest Discussions