Slavery In The Prison System

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seems to me that prisoners could be considered slaves without them even lifting a finger to help pay for the $26,000 a year (or more).

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prisoner
1. a person who is confined in prison or kept in custody, esp. as the result of legal process.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/slave
2. a person entirely under the domination of some influence or person
3. a drudge

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/drudge
1. a person who does menial, distasteful, dull, or hard work.
2. a person who works in a routine, unimaginative way.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that prisoners could be considered slaves without them even lifting a finger to help pay for the $26,000 a year (or more).

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prisoner
1. a person who is confined in prison or kept in custody, esp. as the result of legal process.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/slave
2. a person entirely under the domination of some influence or person
3. a drudge

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/drudge
1. a person who does menial, distasteful, dull, or hard work.
2. a person who works in a routine, unimaginative way.

Thanks for the links. :) So, it seems like they could be considered a slave, as you said. So, is this illegal? I mean, if slavery is not allowed, why have a prison? What do we do with people that murder, rape, etc.?

This is just a general question to everyone. I'm not targetting anything you said. :)

Mike

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sean what is your agenda behind all the prison stuff.

Personally I've seen what these people do and I don't feel sorry for them
My agenda is to get people to recognize what the prison system is, what it does, how voters always vote counter to what they really want (less crime) and vote for punishment as a reaction to cause of their actions. They want to see killers fry but they hate death row, they want kids tried as adults, but they can't figure out why they get released as super criminals, they want to eliminate early release and parole, but they don't want to hire more guards to deal with the lack of incentive to do well. The list goes on. I'm not saying workers in the criminal justice system aren't doing a good job, I am saying the voters have great people dealing with problems their votes have created. Being that criminals eventualy get used to the system and thrive, the only real punishment that occurs is seperation from society. Its a time out. Its seems more time out is where the votes are going and will go in the future. So, we are creating a slave class with very few advocates.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the links. :) So, it seems like they could be considered a slave, as you said. So, is this illegal? I mean, if slavery is not allowed, why have a prison? What do we do with people that murder, rape, etc.?

This is just a general question to everyone. I'm not targetting anything you said. :)

Mike
Slavery exists in many palatable forms.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dearest negative reper,
Explain to me how the prison system is productive, beside the government job angle, and then we can address how changing it is "unproductive".
Sean

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My agenda is to get people to recognize what the prison system is, what it does, how voters always vote counter to what they really want (less crime) and vote for punishment as a reaction to cause of their actions. They want to see killers fry but they hate death row,

I'm confused. The people that want to see people put to death hate death row?? If anything, I'd say that what they hate is how long the process takes.

they want kids tried as adults,

I read not too long ago that in CT, the lawmakers are working on getting an age set for what determines if a child is tried as an adult.

but they can't figure out why they get released as super criminals, they want to eliminate early release and parole, but they don't want to hire more guards to deal with the lack of incentive to do well. The list goes on. I'm not saying workers in the criminal justice system aren't doing a good job, I am saying the voters have great people dealing with problems their votes have created. Being that criminals eventualy get used to the system and thrive, the only real punishment that occurs is seperation from society. Its a time out. Its seems more time out is where the votes are going and will go in the future. So, we are creating a slave class with very few advocates.
Sean

So IMO, what changes would you make? I'm not saying anything negative against your post, just trying to get a better feel as to what people think the best system is.

Mike

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm confused. The people that want to see people put to death hate death row?? If anything, I'd say that what they hate is how long the process takes.

I read not too long ago that in CT, the lawmakers are working on getting an age set for what determines if a child is tried as an adult.

So IMO, what changes would you make? I'm not saying anything negative against your post, just trying to get a better feel as to what people think the best system is.

Mike
I'm running out of today's internet time, but I'll part with a one liner. The cheaper the better; we need to teach the general public what is inexpensive and what is expensive, rather than let politions play on everyone's emotions. To educate everybody, would be a good start.
Sean

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm running out of today's internet time, but I'll part with a one liner. The cheaper the better; we need to teach the general public what is inexpensive and what is expensive, rather than let politions play on everyone's emotions. To educate everybody, would be a good start.
Sean

Looking forward to hearing more when you can reply next. :)

Mike

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sean

To educate everybody? We live in a country where you can be charged with endangering the welfare of a child if you DONT send him to a free public school. Whos fault does it become when somebody doesnt take an opportunity when its given them? The "system", the child, the parent or the culture that prefers and glorifies criminal activity. A clerk working in a bank office may not make as much as a high level drug dealer, but both are as easily attainable if you put your mind to it.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To educate everybody? We live in a country where you can be charged with endangering the welfare of a child if you DONT send him to a free public school. Whos fault does it become when somebody doesnt take an opportunity when its given them? The "system", the child, the parent or the culture that prefers and glorifies criminal activity. A clerk working in a bank office may not make as much as a high level drug dealer, but both are as easily attainable if you put your mind to it.
The system, as it were, allows everyone to turn their back on children. The Children, being offspring of people we don't like, deserve no better. Right?
Sean

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is some info on my State's Incarceration program:

Programs
  • Education - The Granite State High School is recognized by the New Hampshire Department of Education as its own school district. Inmates can obtain their diploma or their GED.
  • Vocational Education - Information Technology, auto mechanics, small engine repair, auto body repair technology, horticulture, food service management, business education, and building trades.
  • Life Skills - Peer Exchange group, anger management, parenting, domestic violence, alternatives to violence, mediation, stress control, AA/NA, aid to incarcerated marriages, and cognitive problem solving.
  • Hobbycraft
  • Religious/Chaplain services
  • Victim IMPACT Program -- strives to improve offender empathy toward crime victims/survivors and understanding about the many impacts of crime. It teaches inmates how crime harms real people -- physically, emotionally, and financially.
Industries Shops on premises - For more details click: New Hampshire Correctional Industries Website Homepage
  • License plate shop
  • Sign Shop
  • Print Shop
  • Wood Shop
  • Information Technology Department
  • Farm
  • Tailor Shop
  • Electronic Shop
  • Furniture Shop
Correctional Industries provides inmates the opportunity to learn job skills and develop good work habits. Each Industry shop has a training component that covers such topics as safety, quality control, and skill development. Opportunities are available to offenders at the New Hampshire State Prison for Men, New Hampshire State Prison for Women, and the Northern New Hampshire Correctional Facility.

Things have come a long way since Cool Hand Luke, but really, I could care less which way things go as long as the bad guy is locked up.

Sounds like the Dems are just looking for more voters in 08.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The system, as it were, allows everyone to turn their back on children. The Children, being offspring of people we don't like, deserve no better. Right?
Sean

Turn their backs? Theres programs, schools and halfway houses everywhere you turn.

You can lead a horse to water.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Turn their backs? Theres programs, schools and halfway houses everywhere you turn.

You can lead a horse to water.

I have to agree with your post. If people want to make an attempt to bring people back on track, great. However, like you said, we can't work magic. The other person has to have the desire to want to make a change in their life.

Mike

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have to agree with your post. If people want to make an attempt to bring people back on track, great. However, like you said, we can't work magic. The other person has to have the desire to want to make a change in their life.

Mike

Isn't that freedom?

I have mentioned this earlier ...in this, or the other post. If a person decides to not participate in society, isn't that OK. Right up to the point where they break the law.

If someone wants to live hand to mouth, with no job, begging for the good will of their fellow citizens, isn't that OK. Isn't that a choice?

Why must we demand that someone make the choice to be 'productive' in society?

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't that freedom?

I have mentioned this earlier ...in this, or the other post. If a person decides to not participate in society, isn't that OK. Right up to the point where they break the law.

If someone wants to live hand to mouth, with no job, begging for the good will of their fellow citizens, isn't that OK. Isn't that a choice?

Why must we demand that someone make the choice to be 'productive' in society?

Well, you know, I think that no matter what anyone suggests, the odds of it happening seem pretty slim. Unless we all signed petitions, called congressmen, etc., things will stay the way they are.

Personally, depending on the situation, I see nothing wrong with offering a second chance. IMHO, the 2nd chance should be proof to the courts that this person wants to make something of themselves. Offer them help and if they choose to take it, they have to go out and find a job or take the assistance that is offered to them. If they're gonna go back out and possibly committ the same crime that got them in jail in the first place, then that tells me that they don't want help, they just don't want to be in jail and would rather be on the streets. How is that help?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hard Labor was often part and parcel of criminal punishment and incarceration with the idea that if we work prison inmates darn near to death they won't ever want to come back.

I could not quickly find on the net easy to interpret stats on the history of recidivism and punishment methodology.

Let's start this exploration by listing some things we need to consider outside of politics:

* Crime-appropriate punishment
* Potential success of rehabilitation according to crime and criminal history
* Socioeconomic need
* Reintegration solutions
* Realistic environmental and sociological controls inside facilities
* Funding
* Definition of "Slavery" as it relates to punishment, labor, environment, need and funding

So how *exactly* are we defining the slavery of incarcerated persons?

Latest Discussions