Sine-wave

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

Kickyou,

Just wondering if your going to the Coca Cola Classic MMA tournament in St. Louis on Saturday, April 6th.

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

Dont shoot the messenger, its the student that cant do it the right way, out of observation I would say most people dont really start getting it kinda down right until they are 3rd degrees.

I would have to say it's not the students according to the following pattern requirements straight from the ITF official web site:

6. Each pattern should be perfected before moving to the next.

7. Students should know the purpose of each movement.
8. Students should perform each movement with realism.

How can it be the student if they are advancing without meeting these requirements.

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

I guess sine-wave is not very popular among most practicioners of TKD, according to the number of posts. So I'll take it that it's not much more beneficial to learn.

:asian:

OP
K

kickerfour

Sine wave is a difficult concept to explain but relative easy to demonstrate -- if the person doing the demonstration undestand what they are doing.

Sine wave is only one small part of the theory of power although it is a very important part. To really understand sine wave one should really study and understand the whole theory of power.

OP
B

Bagatha

Originally posted by Ty K. Doe

I guess sine-wave is not very popular among most practicioners of TKD, according to the number of posts. So I'll take it that it's not much more beneficial to learn.

Judging from the number of posts, there are only 2 people here who dont seem to see any value, yourself included. Learn to count and then learn to play.

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

Learn to count and then learn to play.

I'm not sure what kind of game you want me to play, but maybe you could explain that a little more.

Perhaps I made an incorrect statement, so I'll try to clarify.

At the time there were 25 posts vs. 297 views. That means that roughly 8% of people viewing this thread who I am assuming are TKD practicioners have anything at all to say about the sine-wave. Out of the 25 posts only 12 really knew anything about the sine-wave and only 13 really didn't know anything about it (me included). However the 8% is overstated because out of 25 posts only 10 different people posted. So my conclusion was that perhaps there are a greater number of TKD instructors out there that didn't feel the need to teach the sine-wave to their students.

If I'm incorrect maybe we could get more TKD practicioners to post.

Bagatha, I would like to extend my sincerest apologies if I have offended you in any way. It seems evident from other threads that somehow I have gotten under your skin.

I would like to assure all ITF practicioners who use the sine-wave that I am not bashing them. Since there is no one within an hours drive from me that can properly teach me this technique, I am attempting to see if it is worth my while to drive an hour every week to learn this.

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

I've done ITf TKD, and I'm not sure what this sine-wave thing is. Are you guys talking about the pre- sway motion that some people exaggerate on? I may have been exposed to this, but I must understand what it is first. Can someone explain a little? I read Bagatha's explanation... but I'm still unsure as to what it might be.:asian: :asian:

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh dear god no. It is not worth an hours drive just to learn sinewave. I run an ITF school so ...I'm not saying sinewave isn't good, I'm just saying it's not worth an hours drive every lesson. Find a good local school to go to.

OP
D

Drunken Master

Originally posted by Damian Mavis

Oh dear god no. It is not worth an hours drive just to learn sinewave. I run an ITF school so ...I'm not saying sinewave isn't good, I'm just saying it's not worth an hours drive every lesson. Find a good local school to go to.

I would say that perhaps a couple of hours instruction and you would be able to pickup what Sine-Wave is all about.

I think it would be worth making the drive at least twice to experience and learn what it is about. Once you have learnt the principal you can practise and perfect it yourself.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think what he meant was (and I might be wrong) that in order to learn sine wave he would have to join a school that is an hours drive away, so taking one or 2 classes to pick it up were outta the question I THINK. My advice was stay in your neighbourhood, life is way to short to drive 2 hours a day for one of the least important things I have to teach my students. Don't be upset with me if you feel it warrants more importance... I just feel that working on the pads, sparring and working on your timing and reflexes are more important. He should be able to get that anywere without the 2 hours a day drive.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To view the sine-wave in action check out the following web site.

If that's sine-wave, then I was correct in what I first posted. It was introduced to us in the USTF back in 1986 and it was called at that time spring step.

Nice web site too, thanks for the heads up on that. :)

OP
W

WaterCircleHarmony

i've trained in hapkido, a small amount of WTF and i am now training ITF style which does practise sine.
i recommend seeing the forms displayed at www.taekwondo.to

they are very crisp and i am more convinced now of sine motion. i never rated this much due to my training background but it has much more relevance now in my training.

i'm still quite stubborn so GRRR! DARN sine motion!
lol ;)

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

i've trained in hapkido, a small amount of WTF and i am now training ITF style which does practise sine. i recommend seeing the forms displayed at www.taekwondo.to

I've actually had that site bookmarked for a while. I do think they perform it better than most other sites I've seen.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Still don't care for it. In my opinion it makes the form err sorry, pattern too bouncy. Your height zone changes which goes against principles of keeping your head and body one height.

Yes I practiced this and when I quit the USTF I was glad to drop it.

Just my opinion though.

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Klondike93

Still don't care for it. In my opinion it makes the form err sorry, pattern too bouncy. Your height zone changes which goes against principles of keeping your head and body one height.

Yes I practiced this and when I quit the USTF I was glad to drop it.

Just my opinion though.

I'm hurt! Once ITF, always ITF, you can never quit us!:mad:

(Not really)

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't say I quit the ITF just the USTF, just didn't care being told who I could study with. Now I'm doing Kenpo and Systema and loving it.

OP
K

kickerfour

Originally posted by Klondike93

Of course, General Choi developed principles other than keeping your head and body one height. This is a karate priciple which fits with what you are doing now. I very much like sine wave as I find it generates more power when used correctly and in conjunction with the threory of power.

Latest Discussions