sifu attitude

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Good advice - all centered around dealing with one when it happens (or might have). I'm interested in what we can do to minimize them. Most of the folks I train are driving themselves to class, and a trip to the doc means they need someone to drive them there and someone else to go pick up their kids, etc. I'm looking for ways to include as much head contact as I can with reasonable safety, and I'm not sure how to judge that.

Are you talking about during drills or during sparring? Either way I feel it's about keeping the sparring light and the energy levels of the participants as low as possible. When people get excited that is when the accidents happen. Whenever I'm doing open hand sparring with no padding my instructor makes a point to tell us each time to keep it light and relaxed, focusing on placing the strikes with as little force as possible. We even have a rule where if the instructor hears a slap of flesh on flesh (meaning someone either hit or blocked too hard) everyone in the class does 10 press-ups. This helps regulate the sparring and the energy levels and therefore prevent accidents from happening.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about during drills or during sparring? Either way I feel it's about keeping the sparring light and the energy levels of the participants as low as possible. When people get excited that is when the accidents happen. Whenever I'm doing open hand sparring with no padding my instructor makes a point to tell us each time to keep it light and relaxed, focusing on placing the strikes with as little force as possible. We even have a rule where if the instructor hears a slap of flesh on flesh (meaning someone either hit or blocked too hard) everyone in the class does 10 press-ups. This helps regulate the sparring and the energy levels and therefore prevent accidents from happening.
During sparring. None of our drills really carries much risk of concussion unless something really goes wrong. I'm working on turning up the intensity in sparring, and considering how to maintain reasonable safety at the same time. Engineers don't cotton to having some of cognitive issues of a concussion - even the short-term effects.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or the difference between concussions and brain injury in modern boxing as compared to MMA.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Does anyone know how it compares to say drinking?

I mean if we are going to compare risks in lifestyle choices.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
During sparring. None of our drills really carries much risk of concussion unless something really goes wrong. I'm working on turning up the intensity in sparring, and considering how to maintain reasonable safety at the same time. Engineers don't cotton to having some of cognitive issues of a concussion - even the short-term effects.

Shorter rounds,good protetion,good training,strong necks.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Well, 90% of boxers get at least one brain injury during their career, and 15-40% have symptoms of chronic brain injury at any given time, according to this 39 Notable Boxing Brain Damage Statistics - HRFnd

I don't know how you want to compare it to drinking (What 'drinkers' would you compare it to?) but either way, I would say 90% with injury and 15-40% with chronic injury is a big enough percent to make it an issue regardless of other ways people get concussions.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes. The term is becoming addled. Having been concussed from a sports accident, being drunk is no comparison. It's more a feeling that cannot be conveyed as such, but concussion was a bit more lucid, in a strange kind of way.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, 90% of boxers get at least one brain injury during their career, and 15-40% have symptoms of chronic brain injury at any given time, according to this 39 Notable Boxing Brain Damage Statistics - HRFnd

I don't know how you want to compare it to drinking (What 'drinkers' would you compare it to?) but either way, I would say 90% with injury and 15-40% with chronic injury is a big enough percent to make it an issue regardless of other ways people get concussions.

Hey, I have a problem with alchol, so I know the issue between being reality, and the misconception there. Guess it must be a chemical reaction in the brain. The alcohol experience in what the brain feels like, is a lot different from concussion in my experience. Alcohol pretty much numbs the receptors, I do know that if I had knocked back a few Vodkas, I would likely being left a position of completely uncontrollable actions. With concussion, I still had a semblance of control. At least as my mind would interprete it. Essentially not so much statistics, but personal experience. Well as I see it anyway :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shorter rounds,good protetion,good training,strong necks.
The necks thing is something I'm starting to think more about. I have some students whose falls haven't progressed as quickly as their movement through the curriculum, and I've had to slow them down because their necks aren't strong enough to compensate for the occasional bad form in a fall. I need to look for a way to add neck strengthening either to classes or to what I recommend to students for outside class.

I have physical therapy for my foot tomorrow. Maybe the therapist can recommend something.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, I have a problem with alchol, so I know the issue between being reality, and the misconception there. Guess it must be a chemical reaction in the brain. The alcohol experience in what the brain feels like, is a lot different from concussion in my experience. Alcohol pretty much numbs the receptors, I do know that if I had knocked back a few Vodkas, I would likely being left a position of completely uncontrollable actions. With concussion, I still had a semblance of control. At least as my mind would interprete it. Essentially not so much statistics, but personal experience. Well as I see it anyway :)

I wasn't referring to the immediate response, I was referring to the long-term repercussions of both. As for the comparing, I meant what level of drinking would be similar to being a competitive boxer.

What you said about how Alcohol effects you versus a concussion is accurate enough to display the difference...As for the long term effects, dealing with alcoholics is quite literally in my job description and the ones that I have seen don't appear to have any long-term brain damage from their drinking, although many of them have mental health issues that may have resulted from drinking or vice versa (another issue entirely). It isn't a statistic, and not 'evidence' that drop bear would accept, but it's what I've noticed myself.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
lol. If I was in your school the class would need to do about 60 push ups to build up the credit for all the blocks I would be doing.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't referring to the immediate response, I was referring to the long-term repercussions of both. As for the comparing, I meant what level of drinking would be similar to being a competitive boxer.

What you said about how Alcohol effects you versus a concussion is accurate enough to display the difference...As for the long term effects, dealing with alcoholics is quite literally in my job description and the ones that I have seen don't appear to have any long-term brain damage from their drinking, although many of them have mental health issues that may have resulted from drinking or vice versa (another issue entirely). It isn't a statistic, and not 'evidence' that drop bear would accept, but it's what I've noticed myself.

Interesting. Can only go on what I have seen, but some of the long term affects of alcohol misuse, seem like permanent damage. Especially with the speech centre. One bloke at least, sounded like he was drunk because his speech was so slurred as a every day thing. Always figured it was akin to being punch drunk. Maybe not so then.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Can only go on what I have seen, but some of the long term affects of alcohol misuse, seem like permanent damage. Especially with the speech centre. One bloke at least, sounded like he was drunk because his speech was so slurred as a every day thing. Always figured it was akin to being punch drunk. Maybe not so then.
There are some long-term repercussions to the brain from heavy drinking. Liver damage can lead to hepatic encephalopathy, which can have wide-ranging effects. People with a genetic thiamine deficiency can develop Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome, which can have long-term cognitive and motor effects and even a form of psychosis.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are some long-term repercussions to the brain from heavy drinking. Liver damage can lead to hepatic encephalopathy, which can have wide-ranging effects. People with a genetic thiamine deficiency can develop Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome, which can have long-term cognitive and motor effects and even a form of psychosis.

That was a horrendous read regarding the above disease and symptoms.

Latest Discussions