sifu attitude

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good point. I was working on stances and basic movements before students showed up last week. I've been working on those for 28 years. Give me another 28 years, and maybe I won't need to practice them. Maybe.
That whats last night's sparring class worked on stances and moving while in a low stance. The we added attacking while in low stance. The other instructor never fights in a low stance but last night he discovered that his side kick is better when he's in a lower stance and he said it felt stronger too as if he could make it cause some damage. Some students lacked the strength to attack while in a low position so hopefully they learned that they need to work on making those legs stronger.

last night it opened their eyes at just how important stances and movement in stances are to the system we train.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor's instructor's instructor (confusing I know, but go with it) spent 3 years working on the first form of our system and nothing else. He then got told to go to another school, where the instructor there saw his form and said it was all wrong and had him spend another 3 years relearning it. That is a rather extreme example but it shows that just because you have trained for years at one school, that doesn't mean you will be able to skip ahead when you join another school.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"I don't need to practice that thing anymore" This is not a good mindset for martial artist or fighters. The best athletes and fighters still practice the foundation drills that they learned as a beginner.

NBA players still practice free-throws, lay-ups, and basic chest passing. NFL QBs still practice taking snaps and stepping back; WRs still practice running basic routes. MLB players still practice scooping up a ground ball. NHL players still practice slap shots.

Those are all things they learned as kids in youth leagues. What would happen if they didn't practice them, thinking they were too good for basics?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
NBA players still practice free-throws, lay-ups, and basic chest passing. NFL QBs still practice taking snaps and stepping back; WRs still practice running basic routes. MLB players still practice scooping up a ground ball. NHL players still practice slap shots.

Those are all things they learned as kids in youth leagues. What would happen if they didn't practice them, thinking they were too good for basics?
I yell at the NFL team The Falcons all the time for not being able to do a simple tackle. It drives me crazy to see professional athletes mess up the basics. It's not like I'm asking much. All I want is for them to put their arms around the guy and tackle him. Lol

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello my friends.
something happened to me yesterday and iam seeking for ur advise, especially those who experience same thing as a student or a couch.
I trained wushu sanshou or sanda for like 2 month, and i changed the school and went to new class yesterday.
there was a guy who had 1 year experience sanda and had participated in some competitions, and it was first day for him too.
here is the problem: our sifu wanted to see what we (me and 1 year experienced guy) trained so he can figure out were we should start. and we both end up practicing how to step. :) now iam wonder should we say something or just go with it? IMO beside that i must respect the sifu, its better to just let him teach. i mean, saying that i know that move, i don't need to practice that thing anymore, i know that already and stuff like that, nothing good gonna come out of it. but i know i can be wrong, so iam asking for ur viewpoint.
Still bad at English :rolleyes:

Take a step back and address what you think is the problem. Address it and move on. The Sifu is not the issue, just you're core beliefs. Nothing wrong with that, but as we learn through life, things need to change. My advice is to listen. Hey if it fits, it fits, if it don't it don't, but still listen. You're English skills are not the crux of the problem. Step back, relax, and listen. Sure you will be fine

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because concussions and crippling injuries build character. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

They may well but the rules of rugby have been changed to make it safer, there is a ground breaking programme for the prevention of damage from concussions. There are less injuries in rugby than you would imagine from such a rough game.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
They may well but the rules of rugby have been changed to make it safer, there is a ground breaking programme for the prevention of damage from concussions. There are less injuries in rugby than you would imagine from such a rough game.

Indeed. I'm pretty sure there are more injuries from soccer than from rugby these days.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It was really just a friendly poke.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed, there's some evidence that the more you armor people (American Football) the harder they collide, creating more injuries, rather than fewer.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Indeed, there's some evidence that the more you armor people (American Football) the harder they collide, creating more injuries, rather than fewer.
Or the difference between concussions and brain injury in modern boxing as compared to MMA.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was really just a friendly poke.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

I know but I'm very keen to get any mention of concussion 'prevention/safety' on here because it's so relevant to what we do as well. it's a bee in my bonnet if you like, I want people to be safe while training and minimise risks of brain damage. We should be able to go full contact but do need to understand what happens when head strikes are used.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know but I'm very keen to get any mention of concussion 'prevention/safety' on here because it's so relevant to what we do as well. it's a bee in my bonnet if you like, I want people to be safe while training and minimise risks of brain damage. We should be able to go full contact but do need to understand what happens when head strikes are used.
Tez, I'd be interested in hearing your (and others') thoughts on managing that risk in full-contact. Could I talk you into starting a thread on that?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tez, I'd be interested in hearing your (and others') thoughts on managing that risk in full-contact. Could I talk you into starting a thread on that?
Put 'em in play. Watch for hard knocks to the head. When a particularly hard one connects, watch for signs of concussion. If any show up, take 'em out of play and send 'em to the doc. When in doubt, take 'em out of play and send 'em to the doc. This goes for yourself too.

Either one (or BOTH) of these courses.
Heads Up Concussion
NfhsLearn

They're both free.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put 'em in play. Watch for hard knocks to the head. When a particularly hard one connects, watch for signs of concussion. If any show up, take 'em out of play and send 'em to the doc. When in doubt, take 'em out of play and send 'em to the doc. This goes for yourself too.

Either one (or BOTH) of these courses.
Heads Up Concussion
NfhsLearn

They're both free.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Good advice - all centered around dealing with one when it happens (or might have). I'm interested in what we can do to minimize them. Most of the folks I train are driving themselves to class, and a trip to the doc means they need someone to drive them there and someone else to go pick up their kids, etc. I'm looking for ways to include as much head contact as I can with reasonable safety, and I'm not sure how to judge that.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm looking for ways to include as much head contact as I can with reasonable safety, and I'm not sure how to judge that.
Lots of good instruction. Teach head movement and evasion drills. Reinforce the importance of them verbally. If you use protective gear (gloves and headgear) make sure they know that it's to reduce facial cuts and broken noses/knuckles, but won't prevent injuries that, if ignored, could leave them a babbling idiot. If a student is just eating punches, stop the play and go back to instruction. Find out if the reason is because the drills didn't take or if the student just thinks he's superman.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions