Sick of the Mcdojang crap!!!!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks I fuess about my website, MR. Bob Hubbard made it for me. I am guessing youwas referring to mine since I am Twin Dragons. I know exactly what you feel about everything, been there and gone though it.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
People tell me that she calls my school a Mc dojang! Why because I'm good at what I do?

Well says you. A claim of McDojangism could be related to practices and have nothing about quality, it could be a misinformed claim about your quality (misinformed about what McDojangism is, not the quality of your school, it could very well not be very good), or it could be fraudulent.

I've even hear on other threads that If you have more then 10 kups in your system (TKD) then your a Mc dojang.. If you do events in your school.. Then your a Mcdojang... If you keep your school clean. The your a Mcdojang.... If you charge for belt testing... Then your a Mc dojang....

Happy meal toys as incentives, special promotional meals (like the olympics one), McDonald's keeps it school clean I'm sure, I'm sure McDonald's has a pretty spiffy website too. All McDonald's business practices. Doesn't make their food bad, doesn't make their goods quality.

Well what about these schools that teach every martial art under the sun. (Student of many...master of none..) They are more the Mcdojang to me. I know when I go to pizza hut, mainly I get pizza. But when I go to McDonalds I can have about 120 different things. Keep in mind they started off making just the hamburger!

Do they offer them as a bunch of separate arts? Or do they claim to teach the full curriculum of each? Or do they teach their own mix? Pizza Hut diversifies nearly as much McDonald's, they even offered to give video games out at one point. It's all business.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah totally, nuthin' new here. I'm with you all. Nothing to do about it but beat 'em, join 'em or get a helmet.

j

KGTKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Howdy all!
This has something to do with McDojangs, I think. If not, let me know and I can start a new thread. We run tests about every 3 months, after green belt, you have to wait at least 6 months before being eligible to test. That being said, some kids aren't ready to test at 3/6 months. I have found it exceedingly difficult to tell parents their kid isn't ready. How do you all tackle that? Especially when their child goes to practice every chance they get and just have a difficult time with forms/techniques and so on. One parent confided in me that she cried when she got home because her kid wasn't able to test. He tested at the next available test and passed with flying colors.

Second question, we have about 4 children with special needs (Autistic). There are certain things they will probably never be able to master that would be requirements for a black belt. I believe that although there are basic standards for black belt, you wouldn't give a 18 year old and a 65 year old the same test for black belt. Do you all have special tests for special cases?

Thanks.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy all!
This has something to do with McDojangs, I think. If not, let me know and I can start a new thread. We run tests about every 3 months, after green belt, you have to wait at least 6 months before being eligible to test. That being said, some kids aren't ready to test at 3/6 months. I have found it exceedingly difficult to tell parents their kid isn't ready. How do you all tackle that? Especially when their child goes to practice every chance they get and just have a difficult time with forms/techniques and so on. One parent confided in me that she cried when she got home because her kid wasn't able to test. He tested at the next available test and passed with flying colors.

About this part of your question, I think it is what it is. I know in our studio, if a student is not ready to test, than that's what we say. If the parents are hurt by this then they can make sure their kid practices at home. We generally test every 5-6 months. I even seen my instructor stop the test and tell them they all look like crap, test over. If they don't like it, then there's the door.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Howdy all!

Well, the kid is not ready. It is tough on us parents to accept that our spawn is less than perfect. Sad but true. Stick to your guns. It's a no win situation for you, I have been told the calls after tests to tell that Poopsie has not passed are no fun either. Not even going into the learning experience that presents itself for the child (sometimes not passing is better than getting the new rank, been there, done that)

Second question, we have about 4 children with special needs (Autistic). There are certain things they will probably never be able to master that would be requirements for a black belt. I believe that although there are basic standards for black belt, you wouldn't give a 18 year old and a 65 year old the same test for black belt. Do you all have special tests for special cases?

Thanks.

yiekes, 4 ?! I can't give you any ideas on that, we all test the same for Back Belt, my 64 year old friend along side with me (40) and my son (10) but then again we don't run do the cruciable either. We leave our sweat on the school floor prior. You do your form and spar OK, break your boards, you are done.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ten belt colors and a nice website does not make you a mcdojang.

Teaching your students bs and calling yourself Soke (pronouncing it "soak") might

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If purple belts what makes a McDojo/ang then I guess the BJJ guys have been wrong then for quite some time. And Purple belts are in every system that I have come across, even Judo (for the junior ranks at least). Don't worry so much what a rival school says. Let your teaching and your students speak volumes.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Thanks.

Same test for everyone here, no exceptions. And its an 8 hour marathon, a real 'trial by fire' sort of test.

But, we have special needs kids as well, mentally challenged if not autistic, and I don't honestly think any of them will ever be able to test for black so there's no real worry for them. We don't lump them all together as a group, but we keep them working and learning at the pace they can. At our school, it's 5 years to BB if you show up all the time and keep progressing, so I don't think it's a worry the challenged kids will stick with it for what could be easily twice that. And frankly, some of them wear orange belts (8th kyu) for their parents, but that's as high as they're getting. They come for the fun of doing the warm ups, as it were. We don't turn away anyone who shows up at our door due to their disabilities, but we don't hand out belts either (well, past orange anyway ;) )

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surely though it shouldn't be all about the belts and whether people grade up to black or not?
Training should be for trainings sake, to learn how to fight and defend yourself, really it shouldn't matter whether certain people get their black or not.
The adults in our classes don't grade at all, we don't have belts.I'm the only one that wears a belt for purely practical reasons to keep my t shirt or gi jacket in place when grappling. The children grade but it's understood by everyone that grading isn't the reason we train. We all train to fight even the Little Dragons pad up and spar.
I guess it wouldn't suit the parents who want their children to collect belts for boasting rights!

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Surely though it shouldn't be all about the belts and whether people grade up to black or not?
Training should be for trainings sake, to learn how to fight and defend yourself, really it shouldn't matter whether certain people get their black or not.
The adults in our classes don't grade at all, we don't have belts.I'm the only one that wears a belt for purely practical reasons to keep my t shirt or gi jacket in place when grappling. The children grade but it's understood by everyone that grading isn't the reason we train. We all train to fight even the Little Dragons pad up and spar.
I guess it wouldn't suit the parents who want their children to collect belts for boasting rights!

So Tez.....just out of curiosity, what color is your belt?
icon7.gif

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Tez.....just out of curiosity, what color is your belt?
icon7.gif

In the adults class...white.
In the childrens class black (1st Dan TSD) and it took me nine years to reach it.
I've had it for five years now. Unlikely I will grade again.

Reaction score
I have the ball... Well, I have a school in my town that the person that owns it has been to every school in the area only to be kicked out. His person even came to mine for a short time. I think she has maybe her first kukkiwon...maybe.. Anyway she got the rest of her rank here and there and now was promoted to 5th through this I don't know what org. To make matters worst she even moved into my old building... I have a large student base always have since I opened.. her on the other hand I think she has maybe under twenty.. They teach MMA, Taekwondo, Kung fu and Jujitsu. People tell me that she calls my school a Mc dojang! Why because I'm good at what I do? I've even hear on other threads that If you have more then 10 kups in your system (TKD) then your a Mc dojang.. If you do events in your school.. Then your a Mcdojang... If you keep your school clean. The your a Mcdojang.... If you charge for belt testing... Then your a Mc dojang.... Well what about these schools that teach every martial art under the sun. (Student of many...master of none..) They are more the Mcdojang to me. I know when I go to pizza hut, mainly I get pizza. But when I go to McDonalds I can have about 120 different things. Keep in mind they started off making just the hamburger! Oh .. I forgot ...If you have a nice website that really works ( not like twindragons) the your a Mc dojang....

Ah I see why you're angry. TKD gets a lot of flak and this individual calling your school a McDojang is trying to tap into that. If you're running a successful TKD school and putting through good calibre TKD practitioners then you are not a McDojang. It doesn't matter if your students aren't the next MMA champs of the region or whatever else seems to be used against TKD. Hopefully her smear campaign will disappear. The fact that she is resorting to it shows what a threat she considers you to be. Good luck with your school.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have the ball... Well, I have a school in my town that the person that owns it has been to every school in the area only to be kicked out. His person even came to mine for a short time. I think she has maybe her first kukkiwon...maybe.. Anyway she got the rest of her rank here and there and now was promoted to 5th through this I don't know what org. To make matters worst she even moved into my old building... I have a large student base always have since I opened.. her on the other hand I think she has maybe under twenty.. They teach MMA, Taekwondo, Kung fu and Jujitsu. People tell me that she calls my school a Mc dojang! Why because I'm good at what I do? I've even hear on other threads that If you have more then 10 kups in your system (TKD) then your a Mc dojang.. If you do events in your school.. Then your a Mcdojang... If you keep your school clean. The your a Mcdojang.... If you charge for belt testing... Then your a Mc dojang.... Well what about these schools that teach every martial art under the sun. (Student of many...master of none..) They are more the Mcdojang to me. I know when I go to pizza hut, mainly I get pizza. But when I go to McDonalds I can have about 120 different things. Keep in mind they started off making just the hamburger! Oh .. I forgot ...If you have a nice website that really works ( not like twindragons) the your a Mc dojang....

First off, you can get delicious pasta at Pizza Hut!!!

Anyhow, making oneself look better by tearing somebody else down, old hat among small minds. Or like somebody put it: Somebody who never had more than 10 cows his whole life believes industrial farming starts at 11 cows. If you make a living of your school, you are a McDojang...blablabla...been done to death and it's usually the same story over and over. There are bad schools out there, no doubt. There are those out there that just cash checks, too. But this is not centuries ago, when all that you needed in life was clother, food and a roof over your head. I bet even then Masters were paid, just not in money...but who can pay taxes with a chicken or a sack of apples...

My point - I think - consider the source. This person does not seem to hold a lot of respect in the MA community, so why does it bother you what she says. Smile, carry on, and if the manure gets too deep, you got a heavy bag to work over, Smile....

Latest Discussions