Better quality training! Need advice.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL, the other students range from 8 to 14 years old!! THey are all there because their parents are making them go, a few are really in to it, but it's mostly the parents. I can see that the instructors push me, where they don't bother to push the other kids. I'm pushed because I'm 20 years older than everyone else, and I'm the only one paying their way (not to mention, I'm the only one who can drive, and vote, lol). They push me because they see me pushing myself - nobody else pushes themselves, they're all just kids who just do the bare minimum of what's required. I don't like training in that environment.

I agree, it will take some explanation. I guess that's why I'm trying to clearly understand a) if I want to leave b) when I want to leave c) if I want to go to a different Dojang d) if I want to start all over with Kung Fu. Every time I think I have an answer, something jumps out of the woodwork as a new variable. It's an interesting journey, and a well placed fork in the road :)

I also don't like having to tell someone that they're not doing a very good job (however delicately it's said, that's what it really boils down to). Maybe if I just focus on my needs, ie: I need to train with adults, I need more detailed instruction, and my Korean sucks ;)

I know that this is no easy thing for you. A buddy of mine says there is a difference between "simple" & "easy." Climbing MT. Everest is simple. You put one foot in front of the other until you're at the top. That doesn't mean there's anything easy about it!

All the variables you bat back & forth take it out of the realm of "simple" for you. I'm not you, so I don't have the emotions that factor into this decision. I've left schools before. And even when the instructor that I was with for 8 years turned out to be a lying, wife-beating jerk...it was still not easy to leave.

It seems you like your instructor, but you're not getting what you want out of the program. The "simple" question is, "can you get what you want from that program?" I would encourage you to talk with your instructors (if neccessary hire a translator) & have a talk with him. See if that's possible. If after the talk, you feel you cannot get what you want/need from the program, seek out that which you want/need.

I wish the best. I know this is not easy for you.

OP
F

faerie2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
HAHA, another option has presented itself! I happened upon our local community centre, and noticed they offer tkd. The curriculum looks much more in depth than mine, and he is easy to communicate with. A few neighbors have trained with him and this place comes highly recommended. They offer once per week classes (weird), but if I sign up for that for 12 weeks, it will end about the same time as my year at my current dojang, so i can replace one day per week at the new dojang. THis way, I can get a 'tutor', and I won't have to scrap a whole year of TKD training at my current school, I'll just continue at both places - then, move on to Kung Fu once my year is over.
Is this just crazy? I think I've finally lost it. :erg:

:deadhorse

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
HAHA, another option has presented itself! I happened upon our local community centre, and noticed they offer tkd. The curriculum looks much more in depth than mine, and he is easy to communicate with. A few neighbors have trained with him and this place comes highly recommended. They offer once per week classes (weird), but if I sign up for that for 12 weeks, it will end about the same time as my year at my current dojang, so i can replace one day per week at the new dojang. THis way, I can get a 'tutor', and I won't have to scrap a whole year of TKD training at my current school, I'll just continue at both places - then, move on to Kung Fu once my year is over.

If your Korean GM is old school, he will undoubtedly regard taking instruction from another teacher as a grave insult. I would tread lightly with this option. Besides, not all taekwondo is the same despite the same name. I would not assume that the technique taught at the community centre is the same as at your current dojang.

It is hard to serve two masters. I'll leave it at that.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I don't know that I'd want to double train. I might be inclined to sign up for a week or two just to get a feel for how you as a red belt look as compared to his high belts. Not in a competative way, but perhaps to put to rest the question of whether or not you're at the level you should be for the belt you hold. Though this might also be accomplished simply by watching the adult classes for a week as well. Also, ask what style of taekwondo he is (Kukkiwon, ITF, ATA, or whatever).

I'm with Dancing on this one; either stick it out with the one school or end it and go to another, but don't train at two taekwondo schools at the same time.

Daniel

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know that I'd want to double train. I might be inclined to sign up for a week or two just to get a feel for how you as a red belt look as compared to his high belts. Not in a competative way, but perhaps to put to rest the question of whether or not you're at the level you should be for the belt you hold. Though this might also be accomplished simply by watching the adult classes for a week as well. Also, ask what style of taekwondo he is (Kukkiwon, ITF, ATA, or whatever).

I'm with Dancing on this one; either stick it out with the one school or end it and go to another, but don't train at two taekwondo schools at the same time.

Daniel
I agree, as well. What you might be able to do is talk to the guy at the community center, and perhaps train with his group for a few nights, as Dan suggested. You might even be able to discretely feel him out about your instructor's reputation. But don't try to train at both at the same time, at least without making it plain to both instructors what you're doing. Among other things, you'll find conflicts in how they teach different things, and have to try to keep them straight.

You might also look into going to some tournaments or clinics and see how you really compare. You might be surprised; you seem to be training hard and intensely and you may have acquired more skill than you realize. That's one reason I don't like time frames...

Latest Discussions