New change

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey all.

I just wanted to post about my new change. Some of you know the trouble I was having with my current dojang, trying to change to a sister dojang and got refused, contracts, politics, ect.

Well, I found a new place to train. It's an ITF dojang. I found it one day before work. I told myself that I would check it out after work. Come to find out that one girl I work with is the owner's daughter. So we talked a lot about it. She gave me a thing for free classes, so I took one class so far. I loved it. By one class, I can tell it was for me. It just felt right.

They don't have contracts, it's about half of what I was paying, no politics, traditional (as far as training goes), and the classes are laid back. And the classes are an hour and a half long (no more short 45 min classes)! WHOOOHOOO!!! It just fits me. I still have to deal with the contract thing at the other dojang, but I am much happier here.

So, for you ITF'ers, is there a website I can go to to learn the chun gi (sp?) set of forms? I was allowed to keep my belt, but I have to learn the forms up to my level (Chung Moo, I believe).

Thanks in advance.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad you found a class that works for you - congratulations! I've been in the ITF or an off-shoot for 19+ years (long story, but my association is no longer there, although we still practice Ch'ang H'on patterns and other ITF TKD) and have loved it since I walked in the door. I suspect that there will be some terminology differences as well as different tuls (patterns), so I don't know that you will be able to learn them just from paper - but here is a link to the tuls, move by move, so you can have a written copy to work from as a memory aid. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Kacey :) Actually, the terminology is the same as my old TSD dojang (for the most part), so no problems there. But you are right, the forms are different from both TSD and WTF. I learned Chon ji already, though. And I have seen the higher ones. They do look hard, so yea. You are definitely right about that.

I will definitely take you up on your offer if I get stuck on one.

Thanks again :)

EDIT: I just looked at that site (nice site by the way), and I was looking at chun ji. It says walking stance, but we do it all in front stance and L-stance (back stance). Is that just an association difference, or my instructors prefrence (sp?)?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
Thanks Kacey :) Actually, the terminology is the same as my old TSD dojang (for the most part), so no problems there. But you are right, the forms are different from both TSD and WTF. I learned Chon ji already, though. And I have seen the higher ones. They do look hard, so yea. You are definitely right about that.

I will definitely take you up on your offer if I get stuck on one.

Thanks again :)

EDIT: I just looked at that site (nice site by the way), and I was looking at chun ji. It says walking stance, but we do it all in front stance and L-stance (back stance). Is that just an association difference, or my instructors prefrence (sp?)?

That's one of those terminology things I was mentioning... walking stance is front stance. The best reference for ITF TKD is Gen. Choi's Encyclopedia. I have the complete 15 volume set - but it was a gift; it's not cheap. If you have the money and the desire, I would suggest investing in the condensed version - you can find it about halfway down the page here; I've also been told it's widely available on eBay, although I've never purchased anything that way.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Woot Woot raise the roof. I am so happy for you. That is off the hook.

Hey go to my schools website. http://www.moosulkwan.com
Go to the Tae Kwon Do information link.
It will have a link for poomse. We have stuff for all the wtf and itf forms.

I love the Chong gi line and I love the Tae Guek line. I don't have a favorite. Both are great.

Again Congrats getting to an awesome school.

Matt
icon10.gif

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks so much, guys :) Yes I know the Taegeuks well. But I think I like ITF forms better (no offence to WTF folks). My first class with the new dojang was showing me the forms (ITF). Chung moo is my rank, and that form looks like fun.

One thing though. I noticed some ITF dojangs do the sign wave (sp?) and we don't. Is that a big deal?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
It'd probably have an impact at broader ITF tournaments. Otherwise, I don't think that sine-wave would make a giant difference in the training. (I like it better personally.)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
One thing though. I noticed some ITF dojangs do the sign wave (sp?) and we don't. Is that a big deal?

It is and it isn't. Sine wave is the natural up and down motion that occurs when you walk - watch yourself in a mirror when you walk, or watch others walking, and notice the up-and-down bobbing of people's heads. Some organizations emphasize it more, and make the sine wave more visible; others don't. When I started, sine wave as it is done today was still in the future, and the emphasis was on keeping your head (or, more specifically, your eyes) at the same level all the time, which forces you to bend your knees and turn your hips when you walk (bending your knees is good for balance; turning your hips, another natural motion that is, in some places, overemphasized, adds to your power - it is often called hip turn or spring style, and there may be other names I'm not thinking of right now).

TKD is an evolving MA, and therefore things change. In addition to changes in technique, there are organizational changes going on that have intensified since Gen. Choi (the primary creator of Ch'ang H'on tuls, and the original president of the ITF) died - the ITF split into 3 groups, all of which claim to be the "original" or "official" or "only true" ITF. Due to the political infighting, many organizations left their national parent organization, especially in the US, some switching between one of the 3 ITFs and some leaving entirely, and this is also affecting technique. At your rank, I wouldn't worry too much about differences between organizations (technical, political, or otherwise), and would suggest concentrating on whatever is emphasized by your current instructor.

I hope this helps. I would rather not get into the history of the split at this time, as I know that, for myself, I am biased in favor of a particular group, and don't want to ignite a discussion like some of the ones I've seen - but if you're interested, PM me and I'll send you some links to other discussion boards where you can see multiple viewpoints and decide for yourself.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Laurie,
I'm glad to see you found something that you liked. We all need pick ups every now and then. Always, remember to have fun.

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks again, all. I totally spelled that wrong didn't I LOL. Anyways, thanks for the info on the sine-wave thing.

Latest Discussions