Should You Stay Or Should You Go?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have my own thoughts on this, but wanted to put this out for discussion. In another thread in this section, a member made a comment, so I wanted to use what they said, as a basis for this thread. :)

Here is the comment:

The second best self-defense is to disable your attacker enough to allow you to run like hell.

So, the question is...do you take this advice and get the hell out of the area, or do you hang around, calling the police perhaps?

repz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Go, I dont want to hang around when cops come. I have had bad experiences with cops in situations where their actions werent needed. Many people who I grew up with feel the same way about situations like this. I had to readjust myself through life to see cops as good guys with the way I used to see them as kid.

Mind you, I respect good cops, and still have my fingers crossed that they call me in as a recruit. And those times have changed somewhat with cameras on phones and youtube.

I'm also dont want to be targeted because I look or dress a certain way that me defending myself would change to a gang fight, or some other nonsense.. So I learned to leave fast.

Plus, I like to add that someone getting their butt handed to them usually doesnt warrant an investigation unless you killed them, was a hate crime, or they were important. They wont extract dna for a black eye and broken arm, especially if the dude has a record, or is the type to start a fight.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd be calling it in on my cell phone while heading to another part of town. If the cops want to know where I am, I'll meet them at the station.

Staying around a situation where violence occured once is a good bet to invite more violence.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
If it is possible to do so safely, stay on scene.

If you leave the scene, you lose control of the witnesses and may lose the opportunity to be the first involved party to tell the police what happened. If it is possible for you to stay, you have a chance to stick in the minds of the witnesses that you are the Good Person ( For example-- once hostilities have ceased you might take the chance as you lower your muzzle and threat-scan 360 degrees, you might take that opportunity to make some eye contact with witnesses and start asking " Is everyone else all right"? If any approach you can take the opportunity to say "Get Back, Get back, he/they may still be dangerous!" Or "I can't stop you going over to check on him but I do not advise it because he may still be dangerous" (Because you want it understood that you are the Good Person( Which in fact you ARE) and who would stay on scene and ask and say these things to witnesses who was not the Good Person?)

This is the age of cellphones( and more to the point Cellphone CAMERAS). Use it to your advantage that way. If the DA decides to prosecute you WILL need every advantage you can get.

It also means you may not be the first to call 911. Do so ANYWAY. Do not delegate that to a witness, you want to be the first *involved party* to get your side told. Give your name and location twice (because the first time will probably be garbled by adrenaline stress) simply say "I was attacked, and had to (shoot, spray, stop, whatever) this person to save my life". If weapons were involved, TELL THEM. Don't let the cops roll up unprepared for weapons, they won't appreciate that.

If YOU use a weapon, please, please, please have the sense NOT to still have it in your hand when the cops roll up, and if I have to tell you why, you shouldn't be carrying in the first place. As soon as it is possible to do so safely, Either reholster it, or if safe, lay it on a vehicle or ground spot with the cylinder/slide open and all ammo removed if a firearm. The arriving officers will take it from there.

If it is NOT safe to stay (perhaps your intended stun/disable never fail technique sequence failed, or your spray failed to have the desired effect, or you've had to shoot, but this is his neighborhood and here come his homies around the corner) or it is otherwise tactically imprudent to stay, go, but refer again to calling 911 above as soon as it is possible to do so safely and follow all phone instructions above.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you run off and let the other guy be the first person to tell his side of the story...well lets just say it looks like you ran off for a reason.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
To the police flight == guilt. It really is just about that simple.

The "Shoot. Shovel. Shut up" macho garbage will ensure that your claim of self defense is laughed out of court.

As Andy and others have said, call the police as soon as it's safe to do so. If you are still at risk and have to go somewhere else, contact them as soon as you can.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I dont want to be a fence sitter but I have to say it depends; if I am on "my turf" and I am familiar with the location/ROE then I would probably sit tight/stand my ground. If I am a stranger in a strange land then distance is your friend.

My .02 only.....

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate to be a fence-sitter, but self-defense situations are a flowchart in the making. We can't win every fight - no one's juevos are that large.

If I feel lucky to have escaped an attacker ... you're damn right I'm gonna run like hell. My armchair plan is to try and find somewhere in the vicinity or perhaps seek safety in numbers so I can keep an eye on the person and call the police ASAP / will try not to run too far. But the very next contact I aim to have (again, armchair plan in place) is with the authorities.

This just *has* to depend on the situation.

My humble opinion is that if you live a fairly clean life and don't invite trouble, stay aware, use tactics to avoid problems (been discussed before) the likelihood that you will suffer a *serious* beatdown focused solely on you is pretty minimal. That said, however, *anything* is possible. You could be at the wrong place at the wrong time, attacked for NO reason whatsoever. It could be you've been noticed as a difficult target and a challenge for a serial criminal. You might be mistaken for some other jerk who should be getting the beat-down you might be the victim of.

That said ... if a 300-lb. guy manages to get me in his mitts, I'm broken and/or bleeding, I've been disarmed and I actually manage to get away ... yeah - I'm running!

repz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Plus theres the threat of getting sued. I mean, if the question is would you escape, that means hes out, or you broke something on him that you have the option of leaving the scene. That can be easily titled deadly force, which can land you in jail anyway, or open you up to lawsuits. People have sued cops over this and won, I wont take that chance.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most of these posts deal in that hypothetical hits the Fan sort of thing. I'm not sure that is how most fights develop. Often times somthing got said and repeated, and you have this open threatening situation looming over your head. I find not running in these situations can help. Just act non-challant. Show a positive attitude, and sometimes the situation will disolve.
Sean

Kyosanim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have my own thoughts on this, but wanted to put this out for discussion. In another thread in this section, a member made a comment, so I wanted to use what they said, as a basis for this thread. :)

Here is the comment:

So, the question is...do you take this advice and get the hell out of the area, or do you hang around, calling the police perhaps?

That really depends on the area and what happened as well as if the guy needs a doctor.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you do some defensive moves with witnesses around, then you need to stay. Going will only implicate you in wrong doing. Late at night, on a dark street, do what you have to do and leave, if you can.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As Guro Marc "Craftydog" Denny would say, "Prepare your witnesses."

Let the people around you know that you are defending yourself.

If the situation is safe enough to wait for an LEO to show up then I would stay, otherwise I like the cell phone idea.

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Back before everyone had a camera on their phone and Big Brother cameras were not all over urban areas and places of buisness, I would get out of dodge as soon as it was over (or I could get away) unless it was on my turf so to speak.

Most witnesses can't ID someone after a violent , ugly situation happens, so then and if I was an Instructor back then I would say split.

Violence was so pervassive where I lived from 87-94 that the BSO (cops there) did not give a damn about simple assults or even nasty fights as they had a rampant Crack problem and people shooting, stabbing and robbing each other, so if you were not there when BSO showed up, you were probably OK.

Now we have cameras everywhere and you have to be more concerned with the law. (I dont like it, as most laws regarding use of force are written by people who have no idea of such situations and what it can take to protect yourself)

If I can stay, I will stay and I will call 9-11 and say the following "There is an emergency, send emergency services. I am at ****. I can't stay on the phone, but I will leave it on." if it a situation that is pretty much over and doe not require me to deploy a weapon.

If I have to hold a weapn on someone than I will tell the Operator I am an armed citizen defending myself and I will put the weapon down only after the police can secure us both.

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
As Guro Marc "Craftydog" Denny would say, "Prepare your witnesses."

Let the people around you know that you are defending yourself.

If the situation is safe enough to wait for an LEO to show up then I would stay, otherwise I like the cell phone idea.

We train if confronted to adopt a natural ready stance with your palms forward and elbows bent an we say "I don't want any trouble, leave me be."

You just look like someone adopting a natural, non martial arts defensive posture as oppossed to throwing your fist up or doing some obvious MA stance, you dont look like you are looking to fight, but you are very close to a Muay Thai or Pekiti Tarsia fighting stance.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good point being made here is that "leaving the scene" shouldn't be confused with not reporting the incident. Some people seem to imply that leaving the immediate scene means not telling anybody about it in order to avoid criminal charges, civil suit, etc. If that is what you believe then you will most likely NOT come out looking like you were a victim.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
LOL - that was my comment. The complete text was:
Having said that, assuming that the situation has degenerated to actual violence, the first and best self-defense is to run like hell. The second best self-defense is to disable your attacker enough to allow you to run like hell.
Note the common element: run like hell. All of self-defense can be boiled down to a common formula: distract, release, stun, run. The idea is to get yourself to a place of safety where you can call for help.

No, I wouldn't leave the area. I'm a witness to what happened, so I need to make myself available to the officers ASAP, especially if I'm going to file charges. But in order to do that, I've got to get to a place of safety first.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In todays world, with 'big brother' being everywhere, and with everyone running around acting like they're a news reporter, filming things with a camcorder or cell phone cam, as tempting as it may be, to leave the guy in a heap, and take off, it is best to stay, if safe to do so, and call the police.

Not long ago, I linked an article to a story that happened in New Haven, Ct. A guy was having lunch in a park, guy comes up to him with a knife, and tries to mug him. The other guy pulls out a gun, that he legally could carry, shot the guy, and then called the cops. AFAIK, the guy was not charged for the shooting.

Obviously this was in broad daylight, there were people around, so chances are, if the guy took off, something bad probably would've come out of that.

Of course, as someone else mentioned, if you give any witnesses a good picture, chances are it'll work in your favor. IE: hands up in a defensive, non threatening manner, saying things like "Hey man, I dont want any trouble.", etc., are things that will hopefully work in your favor.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

Here is the comment:

Depends on the totality of the situation.

Latest Discussions