should training in another MA be considered when obataining rank in your own MA

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Marksmanship is a martial art. I can shoot the nuts off a gnat at 100 yards, should that get me brownie points when I test for my Black Belt in a few months? Of course not.
It really is comparing apples and oranges.

mwd0818

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you learn Spanish, it isn't German. So I would not expect your German teacher to grade you higher because you also learned Spanish. I would not expect him to give a darn about your Spanish.

And you may find yourself accidentally pronouncing words in German incorrectly, simply based on confusion while trying to learn both at the same time.

On the other hand, learning the rules of language, syntax, pronunciation, and becoming bilingual (and then trilingual) are not bad things.

So, learn Spanish and German. And Chinese and Japanese and Esperanto if you like.

But don't expect teachers in any of those fields to consider your other studies to be relevant at all.

I can imagine the conversation:

"You have failed to master the basics of Isshinryu, so I cannot promote you."

"But Sensei, I know hapkido!"

"Great for you. Have a nice day."

Depends on what you're instructor has asked you to study. If it was German, than Spanish will not directly help. But what if you mastered German, and your instructor reveals to you that you are tasked with learning linguistics now, regardless of language. You could study with just the background of English and German, but perhaps a latin language like Spanish or French will help even more.

Ultimately, it all depends on what you are tasked with and what the expectations are. Learning Spanish just to learn Spanish in a German class is pointless, but if it is linguistics and language in general . . . it might be helpful. :)

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
%-} i guess cross training gets you rank in the real world only ... peace

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I feel that once a person has a solid base in one art, and for each person that may be different, but in most cases I would say first or second Dan, that they should begin looking at other arts as well, while continuing with the first Art.

But, aside from growing their knowledge, that second (or third or ...) art should not be considered in the other arts when grading aside from the hopefully increased skill that it has given the Student.

To the comments earlier by someone who's initial instructor didn't want their students cross training:

Early on in your studies, I'm not sure you should be cross training. Until you get your foundations down in one art, studying two or more arts at one time can make it hard to learn each art cleanly. BUT, once you have reached a solid understanding of the principals of the first art, by all means I think you should learn other arts that compliment your initial art by adding techniques and weapons/etc that you didn't have in the first art.

One thing I also recommend is that, provided that you have an open mind and don't try to say "Hey, my Instructor did it this way" at every difference, once you get to a solid understanding level, this time for sure second Dan or so, you should go to other senior instructors in your first art and learn from them as well, to broaden your current understanding of your current art. (Problem here is many don't let you come into their school and study unless you separate yourself from your first instructor...)

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
i know all TMA & senseis want to perserve there art just as it is , but i think it would be a great idea to send my student out and get some boxing lessons up in him if all i was teaching him was judo and i would rank him and take it into consideration just because it would make em him a all around better MA in the sense of martial arts ( not just judo ) , i know alot of people here and out there wouldnt agree with that , but if i care for my students i would know there gonna need some stand up in there bag of trix just because i know how it is out there theres no gi´s no mats not telling whats lurking in the shadows :)

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
Only if you don't use deoderant after you practice...lol!

What are you trying to say?

in your case only if you brush your teeth after you practice ... lol

what im trying to say is : cross training gets you rank in the real world in real life on a personal level.

i got my black belt 5 years ago since then guys i trained with are working on and about to get there 2nd degree , as for me its not important well it is but not really - i went into judo back into boxing and really got personal about my kenpo and fitness - i meet the requirments for a 1st degree - will i ever go up for it - who knows ? i might i might not a lil stripe on my belt doesnt make a difference to me these days. i stay in close contact with both my kenpo teachers and they always ask me hows that judo working out for you : im like i love it and from time to time i get on the mat with some of his jujitsu students and as for the boxing my teacher was a boxer for 15 years before coming across kenpo so he always hints to me that thats were its at ... so thats were the question kind of originated from : should training in another MA be considered when obataining rank in your own MA :)

Latest Discussions