Learning much higher ranked forms...

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you’re going to learn a kata from video, might as well go all out and do this one...
Just when it was cool to do karate again.
.... doesn't everyone train like this? Am glad I'm not the only one...

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you’re going to learn a kata from video, might as well go all out and do this one...
Just when it was cool to do karate again.
(...... that truly was one of the most bizarre martial arts related things I've ever seen.... :S XD)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
(...... that truly was one of the most bizarre martial arts related things I've ever seen.... :S XD)
I keep asking myself “what’s is the thought process behind this?” Does she think she needs more kiais? Does she watch herself on video during training and say “I need more intensity?” Do her teachers tell her she not intense enough in certain parts? Does ANYONE around her tell her she looks and sounds like a complete idiot? Does everyone around her tell her she’s awesome?

I’d love to be in the room while she’s developing her strategy.

I wonder what her score was. I wonder what went through the judges’ minds. Where they asking themselves “what the hell is wrong with her,” “finally, someone gets it!” or was it just another competitor? I wonder where she placed. I wonder what the rest of the competition did.

So many great questions.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I keep asking myself “what’s is the thought process behind this?” Does she think she needs more kiais? Does she watch herself on video during training and say “I need more intensity?” Do her teachers tell her she not intense enough in certain parts? Does ANYONE around her tell her she looks and sounds like a complete idiot? Does everyone around her tell her she’s awesome?

I wonder what her score was. I wonder what went through the judges’ minds. Where they asking themselves “what the hell is wrong with her,” “finally, someone gets it!” or was it just another competitor? I wonder where she placed. I wonder what the rest of the competition did.

So many great questions.
YES, I'm so curious myself... It's like the louder she yells the more serious the move is!

The closest thing to that was at a tournament I was watching a few years ago, a fellow went up and did his kata Bassai Dai. But just after he did the last move, he got into a stance, he put his palm-heels together, pulled them back... And started to yell... "Kaaaaa...... meeeeeee...."...... he was doing a Kamehameha!!!!! (A Dragonball Z move). It was just so bizarre.. but he did it with utmost seriousness, and was NOT joking at all... the crowd afterwards were just stunned... a few people laughed.. it was just sooo out of left field... but enjoyable nevertheless! And no it wasn't in the creative forms division haha...

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

So many great questions.

So, the philosophy my Grandpa handed down to my Dad, who handed down to me, is that swearing is not something you should do all the time, because if you do, it doesn't mean anything when you actually need to swear. Like if you say "this bleeping chair" and "this bleeping door" then people aren't going to listen when you complain about "these bleeping taxes".

The same I can think of here. In forms, the kiyhap is an accent to me. In our forms, it's mostly the end of a stanza or verse, and helps to break up the form into smaller parts. The kiyhap itself is a technique. We kiyhap during all of our basic techniques and at the end of most of our combination drills, but those are usually short-medium kiyhaps, and in a form we will do a couple of more sustained, powerful kiyhaps as a form of punctuation.

With that said, if there was a period in the form where she did kiyhaps like this (for example, if the form is in 5 parts, and she sustained this vocal intensity for the entirety of part 4) then it would feel more like a solo or a bridge in a song.

Latest Discussions