should training in another MA be considered when obataining rank in your own MA

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
for instance your a 2nd degree black belt in tkd going up for your 3rd degree and you ve been doing a year straight of jujitsu on the side should your instructor take that into consideration as your willingness to advance in your overall MA knowledge ?

or your a shotokan guy doing muay thai and coming up for rank etc. etc. or a judo guy doing american wrestling or a capoera guy doing kickboxing ...

%-}

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’ve always thought, (assuming you have the appropriate time in), that your grade should only be about what you bring to the floor on grading day. Nothing else should matter IMHO.

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
i understand that your MA is your MA but with all the cross training and MA stepping into the future - i was wondering if it should be considered ?

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not generally. Your grading is in the knowledge of and ability to apply the skills of the system you are grading in. If the skills of your cross training happen to help in that, great, but just training in another system has no bearing on whether you are progressing in the first system or not.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say as far as actual rank, no. What matters for rank is the knowledge that you have in that art.

There are other ways to honor knowledge brought to the table without attaching rank to it.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, NO....yet the other MA training will make you a better MA....

To get promote is to learn your school curriculum...NOT someone elses...

Yet at the same time...depending on your Teachers thoughts? ...it could play a major part of your promotions..!!

NO hard rules here...

like learning to play more than one instruments? ....each will make you grow more....as far as for promotions in one instruments...should base only on the one horn!

....in Martial arts...NO hard rules...each Teacher will have different thoughts, on this...

Aloha,

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
You earn rank because you've learned the prescribed material for the previous level in the same art. Your performance in another art is no part of it.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At least in the case of Karate, it is well known that the Sensei's of old would send their students out to train with other Sensei's in order to bring new things into their practice. Yes, this happened during a time before "grading" existed, however, I still think that it matters today. The deepest tradition in karate is on the construction of a multi-disciplinary art where cross training was valued. I personally see no problem with including cross training in grade requirements once a certain level of skill has been achieved. And, if one cares about supporting this decision, I think one can make a strong historical case (at least for karate) to include these requirements.

One only need to go back 100 years to find a time where martial arts journeymen learned from anyone they could and it was ALL still called kara-te (well technically just Te).

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My jodo, niten, kenjitsu and iaido are all complementary to each other. The way you move is very similar, the way you strike with a sword or a jo is similar, its all practice. I feel after training in any of them, I have improved my abilities in all of them. Much of the knowledge is transferable from one to another. However, as they may help me in my core abilities, they are different arts, and I am judged only by what I do on the floor on grading day in the specific art I am grading.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Grading is base on individual arts, so one does not need to effect the other. One cannot be given rank just because he has time in training he needs to show the skill set to go with it.

mwd0818

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't have to worry about it in a formal setting right now, but I've often thought of requiring black belts at some level to gain proficiency in other arts to progress to higher levels in Kempo. It almost wouldn't matter what really, as I have mentioned previously, 20 years in Kenpo and then studying jiu-jitsu for 2 years provides you the chance to take that 2 years of JJ to reassess 20 years of Kempo. It's a great way to look at and grow in the art.

In that specific case, I can see it being valuable, but it would be a clear requirement at the start of that rank. Otherwise, simply because one has skill in another art does not mean anything to the current art - other than additional ability and skill in martial techniques in general. When I have tested students for rank in Kenpo, their previous skills are noted, but I am testing them in Kenpo, not TKD, JJ, etc. Also, it would not be fair to award a higher rank and let them teach Kenpo when really they are teaching TKD with a smattering of Kenpo they learned from me.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have to worry about it in a formal setting right now, but I've often thought of requiring black belts at some level to gain proficiency in other arts to progress to higher levels in Kempo. It almost wouldn't matter what really, as I have mentioned previously, 20 years in Kenpo and then studying jiu-jitsu for 2 years provides you the chance to take that 2 years of JJ to reassess 20 years of Kempo. It's a great way to look at and grow in the art.

In that specific case, I can see it being valuable, but it would be a clear requirement at the start of that rank. Otherwise, simply because one has skill in another art does not mean anything to the current art - other than additional ability and skill in martial techniques in general. When I have tested students for rank in Kenpo, their previous skills are noted, but I am testing them in Kenpo, not TKD, JJ, etc. Also, it would not be fair to award a higher rank and let them teach Kenpo when really they are teaching TKD with a smattering of Kenpo they learned from me.

Yes, and it is a great way to understand your base art more. :) I would have no problem if this was a requirement for a dan ranking it helps ensure diversity and greater understanding in the art!

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No.

From what I've seen, previous training usually makes you more proficient more quickly in the new art--but still, it's your proficiency in the new art that should determine rank.

Seth T.

White Belt
Reaction score
The biggest problem with the idea of crosstraining being considered during grading is that the person/people grading you may not have the experience or ability to know whether the extra techniques/material you are demonstrating is good or not.

For example, if you were being graded for Tae Kwon Do, by someone who has only trained in Tae Kwon Do, and you performed a cartwheeling kick you learned in Capoeria. The person grading you might find it interesting, but wouldn't be able to judge its merit outside of the TKD terms that they are operating in.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
The biggest problem with the idea of crosstraining being considered during grading is that the person/people grading you may not have the experience or ability to know whether the extra techniques/material you are demonstrating is good or not.

For example, if you were being graded for Tae Kwon Do, by someone who has only trained in Tae Kwon Do, and you performed a cartwheeling kick you learned in Capoeria. The person grading you might find it interesting, but wouldn't be able to judge its merit outside of the TKD terms that they are operating in.

Ah but if you achieve your BB in the other art, then the merit of what you know is being determined by those ranking you and not the grader. For example say as part of your 4th dan requirement is to earn a BB in another art. The certificate that proves your efforts and training meets this requirement. Think of it like "personal development."

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
for instance your a 2nd degree black belt in tkd going up for your 3rd degree and you ve been doing a year straight of jujitsu on the side should your instructor take that into consideration as your willingness to advance in your overall MA knowledge ?

or your a shotokan guy doing muay thai and coming up for rank etc. etc. or a judo guy doing american wrestling or a capoera guy doing kickboxing ...

%-}
Nope, unless that training taught you something about the material you are studyng.
Sean

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I complement Mwd and Xinglu for their broadmindedness. My own experience has been that my previous instructor did not approve of cross-training and all but forbid it. He felt that if you were serious about learning from him, you wouldn't be wasting time learning other arts.

I did continue training in a second art and as a result lost favor in my instructor's eyes and dropped in status from being a top tier student to just another grunt. Many years later, I returned to training with a different instructor!

I would say that learning a second, complementary system actually can enhance your learning of both systems if you have a sound foundation in your primary system and have enough time and energy to train both styles well. But rank in either style should be granted upon demonstrating what you can do in that system, not on "outside" knowledge.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you learn Spanish, it isn't German. So I would not expect your German teacher to grade you higher because you also learned Spanish. I would not expect him to give a darn about your Spanish.

And you may find yourself accidentally pronouncing words in German incorrectly, simply based on confusion while trying to learn both at the same time.

On the other hand, learning the rules of language, syntax, pronunciation, and becoming bilingual (and then trilingual) are not bad things.

So, learn Spanish and German. And Chinese and Japanese and Esperanto if you like.

But don't expect teachers in any of those fields to consider your other studies to be relevant at all.

I can imagine the conversation:

"You have failed to master the basics of Isshinryu, so I cannot promote you."

"But Sensei, I know hapkido!"

"Great for you. Have a nice day."

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
No , but it could help indirectly I suppose. My tkd club has a very strong self defence element once black belt and beyond (they do self defence at the coloured belt level but not to the same degree). A large part of our grading requirements are self defence related from black belt. There was a guy at my club who studies hapkido on the side and when he grades in tkd he uses his hapkido techniques and regularly gets top points and his gradings are of the highest standard. His hapkido has certainly helped him progress in tkd but he never skipped a rank because of it.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I love it when anyone I work with (teach or train with) cross trains and learns some thing new. Maybe they will show it to me!
icon14.gif
I think cross training can only help you on your personal martial journey and it does in many way's help your movement within a particular system as well. I personally can attest that Brazilian Jiujitsu helps with your movement in Budo Taijutsu and that Budo Taijutsu helps with your movement in Arnis, Kali, Eskrima so some sytems are very complimentary and others may not be but the movement can help you determine that maybe it is incompatible and that can be a good thing as well.

Now should it be part of a systems grading procedure. Well that would be up to whomever heads up that system. Just my 02.

Bottom line just train, get better and the chips will fall where they may! Do not worry about rank, etc. in other words!
icon6.gif

Latest Discussions