I had my shot and I failed

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
yeah well ... it´s correct or it´s not. simple as that. can waffle here all day but it´s the way it is.
Nope not when you are placing blame in such a broad manner. Like if you teacher lacks any real knowledge then why continue to train under that person? Messing up on one thing doesn't invalidate everything that is being taught.

SgtBarnes

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nope not when you are placing blame in such a broad manner. Like if you teacher lacks any real knowledge then why continue to train under that person? Messing up on one thing doesn't invalidate everything that is being taught.
I do not train with anyone like this. I learn quickly bro..eyes wide open.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the best way for a student to clarify a technique the instructor has executed - acknowledging he has seen something different, but not assuming it was a mistake. An enlightened, respectful approach.

It may have been a mistake. High belts can know many kata (even from other styles) and many techniques. At advanced years, wires may occasionally get temporarily crossed as he is concentrating on teaching or explaining.

But also, a master will play with variations by design and change a move or two in a kata. So a student who studied at one time may do the form differently from somebody who studied with the master ten years later. He may also teach one student one way to do it, and another student a different way, based on the individual's ability level or body type.

Lastly, after many, many years in the art, one realizes that certain small things don't really matter (but I wouldn't necessarily tell a student that! ;)) Great technique, balance, power, spirit and tactics will carry the day and overshadow most minor irregularities.
And to that last point, in my experience, there are a lot of small things (or, more to the point, very exacting things) in Japanese classical training methods that are there to force specific attributes. Once those attributes have been developed, the exact approach isn't necessary. I see this with stances. Exact stances are there to set up proper balance and structure. After a point, a practitioner automatically creates proper balance and structure, and doesn't need the specific stance that was originally taught.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Once those attributes have been developed, the exact approach isn't necessary. I see this with stances. Exact stances are there to set up proper balance and structure. After a point, a practitioner automatically creates proper balance and structure, and doesn't need the specific stance that was originally taught.
I've seen this in old videos of some masters. Their stance often seems a little "not regulation." The same for other moves. Also, you don't see them doing a formal, theatrical opening/salutation/posturing before commencing with the kata. Just a simple bow and slight movement with hands and the kata begins. I've said before, those late, great masters would never place in a 21st century kata competition.

Many decades ago I studied Lao Tsu's Tao Te Ching. To paraphrase, "When one has eaten, the belly is forgotten; when the shoe fits well, the foot is forgotten." I'm sure the book phrased it much better, but I think it can be applied to the case in point. Once you have mastered the rule, and internalized what it was for, the rule itself can be set aside. It's function, though, remains ingrained in you.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've seen this in old videos of some masters. Their stance often seems a little "not regulation." The same for other moves. Also, you don't see them doing a formal, theatrical opening/salutation/posturing before commencing with the kata. Just a simple bow and slight movement with hands and the kata begins. I've said before, those late, great masters would never place in a 21st century kata competition.

Many decades ago I studied Lao Tsu's Tao Te Ching. To paraphrase, "When one has eaten, the belly is forgotten; when the shoe fits well, the foot is forgotten." I'm sure the book phrased it much better, but I think it can be applied to the case in point. Once you have mastered the rule, and internalized what it was for, the rule itself can be set aside. It's function, though, remains ingrained in you.
ha. I was going to blame it my bad memory, but I'll go with that. No need to blame myself lol.

Latest Discussions