• Yes, wrestling shoes

• Yes, street shoes

• Yes, some other kind of shoe

• No, just socks

• No, barefoot

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Daniel

I used to wear wrestling shoes in my first style all the time. Later I moved to barefoot all the time while indoors and I wear regular sneakers if i'm training outside.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wear martial arts shoes most of the time in my own school but i train with a very traditional fellow sometimes and i always train barefoot in his dojo. When in Rome.......:0)

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... at least when I can, which is most of the time in Austin. In January and February I may put my shoes on.

I allow Martial Arts shoes only. Wrestling are ok also, but no sneakers with big black tread on the bottom, they tear up the floor & leave marks.

I personally like Otomix

Just because they pivot (ball of the foot) or grab (heel and edges).

-MB

L

Lucy Rhombus

Four-inch spike heels, baby.

Okay, really, we train barefoot in the dojo. When I practice outside I wear those little sneakers that look like bowling shoes.

Hey, don't look at me like that! I don't own a pair of real sneakers!

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I perfer barefoot training, BUT we are allowed to wear MA or wrestling shoes if we desire. No "outside shoes" are allowed because they can ruin the floor/carpet with whatever gets stuck in them.

T

The Sapphire Ping Dragon

Bare feet is preferred in our dojang. Preferably not smelly bare feet! :erg: If we wore socks we'd all slip while trying to do flying kicks. :partyon:

Brittany :asian:

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In the dojang, I am barefoot but when I visit a a friend's school, I wear MA shoes because of the hard concrete floor. Outside, I wear MA shoes as well. My favorite is Discipline Footwear .

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Most of the students at my school go barefooted. However some have been known to wear martial arts shoes or wrestling shoes. On occassions when we come in in street clothes we wear whatever shoes we would outside, be it tennis shoes, dress shoes, boots or other foot wear, but that's just to get the hang of doing foot manuevers in our normal wear.

K

Karasu Tengu

I have my students wear a light cotton Tabi with thin rubberized sole, traditional cotton tabi or High top tabi when on the mats. If they do not have tabi I have them wear CLEAN socks. Stinky feet were mentioned and even though my mats are cleaned not everyone hygene is the same or at least as good as it could be. I personally do not like walking in other peoples fungus. I've had "jungle rot" before and it was not pleasent and took a long time to get rid of even with meds . For outdoor training they can wear what they want but not their Dojo Tabi! :asian:

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How do wrestling shoes differ from martial arts shoes? I know both are flexible. I see one post earlier that mentioned wrestling shoes have traction and may not torque as well. I see another post that mentioned martial arts shoes have a surface that allows for pivoting and toe/heel grabs.

Would you mind clarifying? I have not seen either types of shoes up close before--didn't see a reason to as I train barefoot.

The only shoes that some students wear in my dojo are ma shoes, notibly adidas or otinex(sp?); none wear wrestling shoes so I don't have something to reference for comparison.

- Ceicei

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I have always trained barefoot. If we take class outside or if I am working out in my garage, I usually wear my tennis shoes but in the dojo, I am always barefoot. I only have noticed others wearing shoes (martial arts shoes) in the dojo in the past few years.....and usually just during sparring. I have never seen any of my instructors wearing shoes in the dojo.

:asian: :karate:

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some arts, clearly, won't wear shoes because of tradition (karate, aikido, etc). Others will wear shoes because of tradition or utility (kung fu, wrestling).

Tradition aside, we avoid them because we have carpeting. I may get rid of the carpeting...at that point it won't be an issue.

I should clarify...the Tae Kwon Do people don't wear shoes. They provide the most traffic. Some of the Jun Fan people do. I ask the Combat Submission Wrestlers not wear them 'cause they'll tear up the mat we have, but some will wear them if they practice a lot of shooting. The mat tears up the top of their back foot.

If we go to tile or some other surface I'll open it up to shoes. I don't know if I'll have the TKD people wear shoes at that point. Those training shoes they have are okay...but expensive. I might make them optional.

Strong argument for shoes...gets rid of the nasty smell. Wears on that carpet a little quicker, though. Also, our culture wears shoes...granted not a training shoe...but it does seem a little more appropriate.

Lucy called for four inch spike heels. I might tolerate that during Sayoc whip class. And then, only when I've been reeeeally bad and need to be punished.

Regards,

Steve Scott

T

Titan Uk

Just wooden floors in dojo. Some type of training shoes are worn.
But with insurance ...etc. It is hard.

Barefeet would be preferred but it is not always possible

Old Tiger

Green Belt
Reaction score
When training stand up, boxing, stick, thai boxing etc on concrete or outside I wear cross trainer/sneakers. On the mat always wrestling shoes.

M

MartialArtsChic

I broke my right foot a few years ago and don't have much of a choice but to wear the martial arts shoes. Otherwise, it cramps up and can last as much as 20 min.

If it were possible, I would much rather not wear shoes and go barefoot.

I

IMAA

I always wear wrestling shoes when working out....

I blame my atheletes feet, from my younger years taking Karate and always having to be barefoot.

Now my son who is 7, came home last week w/ atheletes feet and Im assuming its the same thing...from going barefoot in class.

He's getting a pair of wrestling shoes really soon. in the meantime he's wearing Tennis shoes.

just my 2 bits about it...

Latest Discussions