• Yes, martial arts shoes

• Yes, wrestling shoes

• Yes, street shoes

• Yes, some other kind of shoe

• No, just socks

• No, barefoot

Results are only viewable after voting.

5 hand swords

Empty Hand Empty foot - I go barefoot on the mat.

I am on West coast so temp in dojo not a problem, I think dojo sets house rules but everyone allows barefoot don't they?

You should be able to adjust to whatever you put on your feet in the street. Think about adjusting to your Cowboy boots or Pumps if you wear them.
A T-Shirt is a chokechain around your neck on the street.

achilles

Green Belt
Reaction score
To me wearing shoes while training is analogous to wearing bag gloves or other protective equipment. It cuts down on the wear and tear of you feet and makes for a cleaner dojo. Also, since I wear shoes most of my life, if I have to defend myself I will probably be wearing shoes. Why not keep my training more realistic?

T

te75uo

I wear Adidas martial art shoes. I got them when I saw one of the guys in our class had athletes foot. I have had that before, and is a pain to get rid of. I prefer to be safe.

I got them somewhere online. I can't remember where.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Generally I'll wear street shoes with non-marking soles if I'm training on hardwood or other such surfaces, including carpet. For the mats, I have a pair of wrestling shoes to wear.

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nightingale said:
how many of you wear shoes in the dojo? if so, what kind and where do you get them?
I wear Otomax MA shoes. I ordered them from AWMA magazine.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wear a pair of Adidas 2000TKD shoes while teaching.

I go barefoot while training indoors. If training outdoors on concrete, I have a worn out pair of TKD shoes that I'll wear. If outside on grass, barefoot.

I ordered my shoes from Best MA-Sang Moo Sa out of California, but Asian World and Century also carry them.

Miles

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think you should train with and without shoes. I think training with shoes on is a great idea because I have noticed in myself that I am forced to adjust my movement slightly depending on what surface I am on. A shoe tends to cause you to "stick" to the surface area more than being barefoot. Kind of makes it harder to "slide" around when transitioning from movement to movement. That would be bad to find out for the first time if in a situation where you needed your skill.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Barefoot in the home dojo, as like in visiting dojo's.
Pine tree MA shoes, nice.

Regards, Gary

K

Kirsty x

We wear either Tabi's or barefoot,
I prefer barefoot:ultracool ....I dont like the look of those tabi's:uhoh: , they're scary.:eek::ultracool

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
we only wear shoes if we decide to have class outside...and shoes are optional there too.

only in the Dojo do we make it necessary that we take off shoes and socks, thise is just so we can keep teh mats clean and in good shape

RanaHarmamelda

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just got another lesson last week in why shoes aren't always a bad thing --

Doing groundwork in jujutsu, one student got his toe caught in the mat and had an open dislocation. 2 lessons -- always try to have goo dmats (expensive though they may be) and shoes ain't always so bad.

That being said, time for me to go buy some new wrestling shoes...

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I personally like the feel of wrestling shoes. They are light and flexible and they are good for the mats. I will also go barefoot depending on the instructor.

H

Hawkeye

Mixed thoughts. First you'll never have wrestling shoes - on the street. Second 25 years ago we didn't use hand and foot pads so we all just trained barefoot.

The whole thought of "train like you fight" - Let's be honest, if you're getting into fights on the street you need to examine your habits and your martial arts philosophy. Most of us don't walk around with elastic pants or our Gi's on so we can high kick at Seven-Eleven, on the off chance that we are attacked.

Your "fighting" will be school sparring and tournaments - and you won't be wearing shoes.

So if you train to spar or compete- do it barefoot.​

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
we use all types of shoes to train in self defense applications...other than that barefoot hoping that hygene is in order...

Latest Discussions