Self Promotions

Jeff Boler

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well this is interesting, because I think "Koga Ha' (who can't use his real name for some reason. Must be a Ninja thing.) is debating whether or not Hassan is in fact Terry Lee. Are you issuing a denial here?

Your cryptic little statements only make me laugh at you.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
I remember back when I was a beginner a Black Belt meant a lot. [...]the beginner who knows nothing about the arts, there is no difference between TKD, Kenpo, Wing Chun or any other style, the only difference they see is a 18 - 24 month journey to Back Belt compared to a period that is usually twice as long.
That reminds me of when my friend and I started training in 1985. Heck, we figured we'd get black belts in 6 months, open our own schools and make a lot of money.

By 1989 I didn't care about getting a black belt, I just wanted to get good.

My middle-aged friend left the factory, became a cop and got to use what the Kenpo he had learned; I got a part time job arresting shop-lifters so I could use what I learned.

In 1992 I left that area. Because there were no Kenpo schools around, I enrolled me and my sons in TKD. My oldest boy quickly started calling it "Take my dough" instead of "Tae kwon do" because he didn't see as much value in TKD as Kenpo. (No, offense to TKD stylists as I have seen some very good ones).

Ah, heck, I don't suppose I have a point to this; Just an old man's ramblings...

koga ha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jeff Boler said:
Well this is interesting, because I think "Koga Ha' (who can't use his real name for some reason. Must be a Ninja thing.) is debating whether or not Hassan is in fact Terry Lee. Are you issuing a denial here?

Your cryptic little statements only make me laugh at you.
actually, i wanted to debat a move that seemed silly to me and provide an alternative.

you and others on this board like to attack the charater of individuals because of what you heard, seen, or stumbled across on the net. and now you want to suck me in too...:lol:

are you sure you didn't get your "belt" off the net too? :rofl:

Jeff Boler

Blue Belt
Reaction score
koga ha said:
actually, i wanted to debat a move that seemed silly to me and provide an alternative.

Well that is strange, because the thread is about SELF PROMOTION. I think my questions fit, due to the fact that Mr. Hassan spent 7 weeks with Mitose, and is all of a sudden, a grand master.

you and others on this board like to attack the charater of individuals because of what you heard, seen, or stumbled across on the net. and now you want to suck me in too...:lol:

Or, what I have personal experience and knowledge in. As stated previously, I was student of Durbin's for twelve years. I'm well aware of Mr. Hassan, as well as his past. Again, are you denying that Hassan is in fact Lee, and was charged with this crime?

are you sure you didn't get your "belt" off the net too? :rofl:

No, I earned my belts. Mr. Hassan spent a weekend with Mr. Durbin, and BINGO....5th Dan in Kiyojute Ryu. Mr. Hassan also returned the favor to Mr. Durbin. So it's the people you associate with that are known for just "handing out rank and titles."

At least come up with a good arguement.

koga ha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jeff Boler said:
Well that is strange, because the thread is about SELF PROMOTION. I think my questions fit, due to the fact that Mr. Hassan spent 7 weeks with Mitose, and is all of a sudden, a grand master.

Or, what I have personal experience and knowledge in. As stated previously, I was student of Durbin's for twelve years. I'm well aware of Mr. Hassan, as well as his past. Again, are you denying that Hassan is in fact Lee, and was charged with this crime?

No, I earned my belts. Mr. Hassan spent a weekend with Mr. Durbin, and BINGO....5th Dan in Kiyojute Ryu. Mr. Hassan also returned the favor to Mr. Durbin. So it's the people you associate with that are known for just "handing out rank and titles."

At least come up with a good arguement.
right, self-promotions, i was looking at another thread. anyway, there you go again making statements like you know...that's a bad habit.

just so i have this clear...you're telling me that hassan is not a true grandmaster (old title)?

i know for a fact that nimr is terry and about the crime. and i know for a fact that my information doesn't come from the net like your info.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ko

Jeff Boler stated both who he is and what he saw, what about you? I can't help but notice that your sentinces are getting shorter and shorter Ko? Well< Ko is hassan a grandmaster in your opinion, how long did he train with Mitose? are there other arts in his study, do you know the backgrounds?

Todd

Jeff Boler

Blue Belt
Reaction score
koga ha said:
right, self-promotions, i was looking at another thread. anyway, there you go again making statements like you know...that's a bad habit.

Uh..ok.

just so i have this clear...you're telling me that hassan is not a true grandmaster (old title)?

What makes a Grand Master? What does that title mean? What I am saying is that someone with only 7 weeks of instruction cannot have learned much, or....there simply wasn't much to learn. That does not keep people from saying that have multiple high dan ranks and titles. I know that after spending one weekend with William Durbin, he obtained a 5th dan. Do I think that he deserved that title? Absolutely not.

i know for a fact that nimr is terry and about the crime. and i know for a fact that my information doesn't come from the net like your info.

What, exactly, is wrong with information obtained from the internet? Because of the internet....I was able to correspond directly with Bruce Juchnik, and several other members of the Kenpo community, all of which gave me the low down on Mr. Hassan.

And since you are a student of Hassan, I think it's fair to say that you know only what Hassan wants you to know. As stated previously, Durbin acted like Hassan and Lee were two totally different people for the longest time. Once questions were asked....well, here we are.

koga ha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Ko

Jeff Boler stated both who he is and what he saw, what about you? I can't help but notice that your sentinces are getting shorter and shorter Ko? Well< Ko is hassan a grandmaster in your opinion, how long did he train with Mitose? are there other arts in his study, do you know the backgrounds?

Todd
jeff stated what he got off the net. do i need to have long sentences to say something?

hassan is a living legend and that's not opinion, that's fact. trained numerous hours. we have the complete system and you got whatever it is you got.

Jeff Boler

Blue Belt
Reaction score
koga ha said:
jeff stated what he got off the net. do i need to have long sentences to say something?

hassan is a living legend and that's not opinion, that's fact. trained numerous hours. we have the complete system and you got whatever it is you got.

Darnit, I spewed water all over my monitor after reading this....

What I got off the net? Technically, what I got off of the net was email addresses and phone numbers. That allowed me to contact various individuals personally.

Living legend? Fact? Uh no, what Hassan is a convicted murderer, and that is fact. Go get the court documents, and see for yourself. Did he give himself this title of living legend? What makes someone a "living legend" anyway. You seem to forget that he is / was a criminal. Can you be rehabilitated? Sure. I think some of the things Hassan has done to his community is wonderful. He's still a murderer though. Under the legal definition.

You have the complete system? The complete system he learned in seven weeks? What you have are delusions.

Jeff Boler

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Let me make this clear. I have no problems with Hassan, or Durbin. I think Hassan committed the acts that he was charged with. I believe he may, in fact, have been rehabilitated.

I do not think that convicted murderers should be allowed to teach martial arts. I do not think that Jeffery Dahmer should have been allowed to teach a cooking class, and I think Hassan should have been restricted from teaching. That's my opinion only.

If you like the level of instruction that Hassan provides, then that's great. I'm happy for you, and I think you should keep it up. That does not make him worthy of the titles he claims to possess though.

koga ha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jeff Boler said:
Uh..ok.

What makes a Grand Master? What does that title mean? What I am saying is that someone with only 7 weeks of instruction cannot have learned much, or....there simply wasn't much to learn. That does not keep people from saying that have multiple high dan ranks and titles. I know that after spending one weekend with William Durbin, he obtained a 5th dan. Do I think that he deserved that title? Absolutely not.

What, exactly, is wrong with information obtained from the internet? Because of the internet....I was able to correspond directly with Bruce Juchnik, and several other members of the Kenpo community, all of which gave me the low down on Mr. Hassan.

And since you are a student of Hassan, I think it's fair to say that you know only what Hassan wants you to know. As stated previously, Durbin acted like Hassan and Lee were two totally different people for the longest time. Once questions were asked....well, here we are.
again, you are still talking like you know things for a fact. you don't and i know you don't.

you are proving my point about internet information...anyone, anyone can say anything without regard to the facts. you say things willy nilly and sometimes like you were there.

juchnik....:lol: and the others who gave you the low-down have the same problem as you..stating things without merit.

actually, it's not fair to make that statement...you don't know what i know.

Jeff Boler

Blue Belt
Reaction score
koga ha said:
again, you are still talking like you know things for a fact. you don't and i know you don't.

you are proving my point about internet information...anyone, anyone can say anything without regard to the facts. you say things willy nilly and sometimes like you were there.

I know that I was a twelve year student of William Durbin, the man who writes history for your art. I know that I have seen the actual court transcripts and read the documents. I know that you are a student of Nimr Hassan aka Terry Lee, and you know only what he has told you. Due to the fact that he was the one that was convicted, I dare say that you know what he wants you to know, period. If these aren't the facts, then what are they?

juchnik....:lol: and the others who gave you the low-down have the same problem as you..stating things without merit.

I know that Bruce Juchnik visited Mitose in prison prior to his death. I know that he also possesses some documentation from Mitose. What has been stated that doesn't have merit? Since you are so hell-bent on debunking what I have stated, prove me wrong...

actually, it's not fair to make that statement...you don't know what i know.

Sure, you can say that. But since you refuse to prove me wrong by issuing this "information", your side simply doesn't have merit.

koga ha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jeff Boler said:

What I got off the net? Technically, what I got off of the net was email addresses and phone numbers. That allowed me to contact various individuals personally.

Living legend? Fact? Uh no, what Hassan is a convicted murderer, and that is fact. Go get the court documents, and see for yourself. Did he give himself this title of living legend? What makes someone a "living legend" anyway. You seem to forget that he is / was a criminal. Can you be rehabilitated? Sure. I think some of the things Hassan has done to his community is wonderful. He's still a murderer though. Under the legal definition.

You have the complete system? The complete system he learned in seven weeks? What you have are delusions.
okay, so now you contacted people personally. what did mitose have to say? how about hassan? or what about the farmer? right, you contacted people that got their information just like you, hear-say.

as far as a living legend...i'll let the hmais know that you think their titles are fiction and don't carry merit.

Jeff Boler

Blue Belt
Reaction score
koga ha said:
okay, so now you contacted people personally. what did mitose have to say? how about hassan? or what about the farmer? right, you contacted people that got their information just like you, hear-say.

But again, you have no proof to offer yourself. So you are not capable of disproving anything that I have said. Gotcha.

as far as a living legend...i'll let the hmais know that you think their titles are fiction and don't carry merit.

Alright, now we move into threats. But then again, those convicted of violent crimes, such as Mr. Hassan, have a tendancy to maintain alot of that violent behavior after their prison sentences are over.

Thanks Koga Ha. You just proved everything I said for me. And one final time, can you state anything that I have said that simply isn't true? If you can prove it, i'll retract the statements. The only thing I have stated as fact is that Hassan was convicted of murder. I have stated opinions which express my belief that he has inflated his own ranks and titles. But those are opinions.

So...again, what have I stated that is false?

koga ha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jeff Boler said:
I know that I was a twelve year student of William Durbin, the man who writes history for your art. I know that I have seen the actual court transcripts and read the documents. I know that you are a student of Nimr Hassan aka Terry Lee, and you know only what he has told you. Due to the fact that he was the one that was convicted, I dare say that you know what he wants you to know, period. If these aren't the facts, then what are they?

I know that Bruce Juchnik visited Mitose in prison prior to his death. I know that he also possesses some documentation from Mitose. What has been stated that doesn't have merit? Since you are so hell-bent on debunking what I have stated, prove me wrong...

Sure, you can say that. But since you refuse to prove me wrong by issuing this "information", your side simply doesn't have merit.
actually, i don't have to prove anything to you; time will do that.

juchnik...:lol: sorry, i have to laugh. that should tell you something.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
koga ha said:
Ko

"trained numerous hours"

I hate to break this to you but most Grand masters, Master instructors or even Black Belts have trained for a little longer than numereous hours.
"living Legend" Please don't mistake Durbin's and his self promotiong rewriting of history! Notorious is not Legendary,

Todd

Jeff Boler

Blue Belt
Reaction score
koga ha said:
actually, i don't have to prove anything to you; time will do that.

Ok, well that's cryptic. What you are essentially stating is, that you can't disprove anything that has been said.
juchnik...:lol: sorry, i have to laugh. that should tell you something.

It tells me that you would believe a convicted felon over someone with no criminal record. It tells me that you would believe a person who basically ratted on his own instructor to save his hide. It tells me that you are a child, and unfortunately, have gone through the same thing that Hassan claims happened to him through Mitose. Brainwashing.

Do you not see a pattern here? I do not want to get into personal attacks. Again, I have no problem with Hassan, other than the FACT that he is a convicted felon teaching martial arts. I don't, in my OPINION, think that is right. But that's an issue that I need to discuss with my senator, or other public officials. It doesn't mean that I think Hassan is not capable of being rehabilitated. I clearly believe that he has been.

So go on with the petty comments that keep you from discussing the meat of the topic. If you have nothing of value to say in your defense or that of your instructor, then don't try. Just let it go.

koga ha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jeff Boler said:
But again, you have no proof to offer yourself. So you are not capable of disproving anything that I have said. Gotcha.

Alright, now we move into threats. But then again, those convicted of violent crimes, such as Mr. Hassan, have a tendancy to maintain alot of that violent behavior after their prison sentences are over.

Thanks Koga Ha. You just proved everything I said for me. And one final time, can you state anything that I have said that simply isn't true? If you can prove it, i'll retract the statements. The only thing I have stated as fact is that Hassan was convicted of murder. I have stated opinions which express my belief that he has inflated his own ranks and titles. But those are opinions.

So...again, what have I stated that is false?
Jeff Boler said:

Living legend? Fact? Uh no, what Hassan is a convicted murderer, and that is fact. Go get the court documents, and see for yourself. Did he give himself this title of living legend? What makes someone a "living legend" anyway.
i'm not threating anyone, you made the statement not me. you are the one dealing with fiction, i like dealing with non-fiction.

okay, and now you're an expert in behavior? :shrug: