Self-defense cases. Are they aikidokas?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was specifically asking Jorgemp, and am still wanting to hear from him, but okay.

No, I'd disagree with that assessment of the clips. There was almost no redirecting of force in any of the clips, really… and the only "throwing guys around" was more grab and spin… not really anything even "martial arts", let alone Aikido.

No, but Aikido has a specific approach to how they do things.

Er… okay. Good for him. I don't think anyone was doubting Aikido's viability on a technical level here… so not really sure why this clip was posted. The question was specific to the clips in the first post.

Well, all that's shown there is Kote Gaeshi, and sure, many arts have versions of it… not always as throws, not always as any type of "redirected force", or anything similar, so the rest of that description isn't necessarily correct. For the reco.
Grab and spin is redirecting force. They come towards you you grab them and redirect their force into a spin. Dude falls over it is a throw. But otherwise it might have been taught in a martial arts school it might not. It is hard to tell sometimes. As resistance can make things look like crap.

That gun vid is the only vid I know of where a guy uses akido. So I thought I would throw it in.

And plenty of martial arts have that redirecting force type throws. Even if sometimes they are not used as such.

Akido has a look about it that people identify. But like a lot of techniques they are quite often reflected in other styles or even people with no style.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh dear…

Grab and spin is redirecting force.

If you're talking incredibly broad strokes… kinda. I'd also say that that methodology of "redirecting force" isn't particularly Aikido, as it's not really in line with the "harmonising" principle of Aikido… so… no, not really the same thing at all.

They come towards you you grab them and redirect their force into a spin.

Not really Aikido there…

Dude falls over it is a throw.

Not necessarily… they could have tripped, stumbled, or anything else. And so far, no Aikido mentioned.

But otherwise it might have been taught in a martial arts school it might not. It is hard to tell sometimes. As resistance can make things look like crap.

Er… huh? No, what was seen there was not taught in a martial arts school (other than the bouncer clip). That's not saying the people in the videos definitively haven't trained in anything, just that what's shown is not an example of anything martial arts related.

That gun vid is the only vid I know of where a guy uses akido. So I thought I would throw it in.

Er… okay. Still not really anything to do with the questions asked.

And plenty of martial arts have that redirecting force type throws. Even if sometimes they are not used as such.

What type of "redirecting force throw"? I honestly don't feel you get what you're seeing here.

Akido has a look about it that people identify.

No, it's not a look I'm using to identify anything...

But like a lot of techniques they are quite often reflected in other styles or even people with no style.

And again… huh? Not really sure what you're meaning by any of this… techniques from any art don't get "reflected" in any other… it genuinely doesn't actually make sense.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
Oh dear…

Lol.

If you're talking incredibly broad strokes… kinda. I'd also say that that methodology of "redirecting force" isn't particularly Aikido, as it's not really in line with the "harmonising" principle of Aikido… so… no, not really the same thing at all.

Looks like akido in an increadably broad stroke.

Not really Aikido there…

Never said it was.

Not necessarily… they could have tripped, stumbled, or anything else. And so far, no Aikido mentioned.

Or been thrown.

Er… huh? No, what was seen there was not taught in a martial arts school (other than the bouncer clip). That's not saying the people in the videos definitively haven't trained in anything, just that what's shown is not an example of anything martial arts related.

Conceptually it is.

Er… okay. Still not really anything to do with the questions asked.

Consider it value added.

What type of "redirecting force throw"? I honestly don't feel you get what you're seeing here.

Any throw where you are using your oponants force against them.

No, it's not a look I'm using to identify anything...

But OP is.

And again… huh? Not really sure what you're meaning by any of this… techniques from any art don't get "reflected" in any other… it genuinely doesn't actually make sense.

So you don't see similar ideas and techniques cross martial arts systems?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll try once more.

drop bear said:
Looks like akido in an increadably broad stroke.

No, it doesn't. See my previous comment for explanation as to why.

drop bear said:
Never said it was.

You're describing "grab and spin" as redirecting force, which you're saying is a principle of Aikido (not the way you're describing it, it isn't), so yeah, you were saying that it's Aikido, in a form (broad strokes).

drop bear said:
Or been thrown.

Hence the "not necessarily", rather than "no"…

drop bear said:
Conceptually it is.

Only to the point that fighting was involved. In other words, no, conceptually, it's missing the actual martial arts aspect for it to be martial arts or from a school as such.

drop bear said:
Consider it value added.

Hmm. Okay.

drop bear said:
Any throw where you are using your oponants force against them.

Yeah… you're still not making any sense. Nor does that have anything to do with there being Aikido, or Aikido-like applications, which is where you started this idea.

drop bear said:
But OP is.

I'm leaving it to the OP to say what they were using to identify anything… I'm not sure that there really is anything like a specific "look" to Aikido that's being recognised here.

drop bear said:
So you don't see similar ideas and techniques cross martial arts systems?

That's not the same as "techniques are reflected in other styles". Additionally, the techniques aren't the important aspect… at all. If you're looking at the techniques as anything definitive, you've missed the point.

OP
J

jorgemp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As there really isn't anything close to Aikido seen here, .

OK, OK, but... these are the closest street fighting techniques that I have found similar to aikido techniques.

These other cops probably also are trained in "real aikido" or other system.

Er… okay. Good for him. I don't think anyone was doubting Aikido's viability on a technical level here… so not really sure why this clip was posted. The question was specific to the clips in the first post.

If that is not aikido, please post REAL STREET FIGHTS or MMA videos where aikido techniques are used.

Even Ellis and Jason de Lucia, aikidokas and MMA fighters, don´t use classical aikido movements in their fights.

Last edited by a moderator:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OK, OK, but... these are the closest street fighting techniques that I have found similar to aikido techniques.

[video=youtube;tAI4lOtbWq4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAI4lOtbWq4[/vide

If that is not aikido, please post REAL STREET FIGHTS or MMA videos where aikido techniques are used.

Even Ellis and Jason de Lucia, aikidokas and MMA fighters, don´t use classical aikido movements in their fights.
Nothing here is aikido either. In the second video the guy sitting on the girl simply has her arm up her back, something we used to do in primary school.

As to aikido in a street fight ... that is something that most Aikidoka would avoid, not because it couldn't be used but because it is against the principle of Aikido.
:asian:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You wont find much Aikido in Police work either the goal are different. Self defense is counter to apprehension

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One of my instructor's main teachers was Bernie Lau, the first American Black Belt in Aikido. He worked vice both undercover and otherwise for decades for the Seattle PD. He did modify his Aikido to be more practicable for police work, but his basis and foundation was always Aikido.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You wont find much Aikido in Police work either the goal are different. Self defense is counter to apprehension

One of my instructor's main teachers was Bernie Lau, the first American Black Belt in Aikido. He worked vice both undercover and otherwise for decades for the Seattle PD. He did modify his Aikido to be more practicable for police work, but his basis and foundation was always Aikido.

Depends... We still have several things in the mandatory DT curriculum in Virginia that reflect the input of a highly ranked aikido black belt. Stuff that works great... if you practice it for a bunch of hours a week over several years -- but not so good under pressure without that heavy practice.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does VA have a state wide standards for DT? There isnt one here we have guidelines but I know some departments that teach a bunch of Grappling/BJJ based with little to no strikes others that go heavy on boxing/strikes zero ground work other then cuffing someone on the ground. We teach a combination but lately due to our Chief training BJJ he is moving us away from strike based

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does VA have a state wide standards for DT? There isnt one here we have guidelines but I know some departments that teach a bunch of Grappling/BJJ based with little to no strikes others that go heavy on boxing/strikes zero ground work other then cuffing someone on the ground. We teach a combination but lately due to our Chief training BJJ he is moving us away from strike based
A handful. You can see them at http://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/standa...ining/?pdf=cjsmanual-LAWCH5_PerformanceLE.pdf

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The issue you are going to have is that different styles will reflect the same themes. So you will see "Akido movements" in real time self defence but they may not have an akido source. Just some people coming to the same conclusion from independent sources.

If you look at that outer wrist lock twist. Which presents as very akido.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NitLZwRr5Ok

Is also presented as the Irish whip in karate apparently.(there is also an Irish whip in catch and professional wrestling)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zykYDsCKn38

Different techniques (thanks Chris Parker) but same basic concept. One is akido one is not. Now it doesn't even have to have had any direct linage from one to another. Just two people independently could have come up with this idea that if you crank an arm this way. Then that happens.

And this has given me an idea for a new thread.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah I have met some angry akidokas. They defiantly do exist.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
B
The issue you are going to have is that different styles will reflect the same themes. So you will see "Akido movements" in real time self defence but they may not have an akido source. Just some people coming to the same conclusion from independent sources.

Is also presented as the Irish whip in karate apparently.(there is also an Irish whip in catch and professional wrestling)

Different techniques (thanks Chris Parker) but same basic concept. One is akido one is not. Now it doesn't even have to have had any direct linage from one to another. Just two people independently could have come up with this idea that if you crank an arm this way. Then that happens.

Not wanting to pour cold water on the parade but it would be almost impossible to perform either of those techniques the way they were demonstrated if your opponent was resisting. I teach sankyo to both my karate and Krav students because it is great against weapons but I do teach it with atemi.

But with the outer wrist turn, which we call kote gaeshi, the way it was performed in the video is different to the way we perform it in our aikido. Once again, the way it was performed lays you open to being hit if your opponent has any martial experience.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
BNot wanting to pour cold water on the parade but it would be almost impossible to perform either of those techniques the way they were demonstrated if your opponent was resisting. I teach sankyo to both my karate and Krav students because it is great against weapons but I do teach it with atemi.

But with the outer wrist turn, which we call kote gaeshi, the way it was performed in the video is different to the way we perform it in our aikido. Once again, the way it was performed lays you open to being hit if your opponent has any martial experience.

Neither of those moves would be my first point of call.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Let's try again.

Leave off the idea of being persecuted, that hasn't happened. But let's start again… firstly, why did you associate these videos with Aikido? What in them seemed even related to Aikido to you?

As others have (again) said, no, they're not.

You seem to be of the belief that Aikido "has to be" something that the people in the clips you post have trained in, despite there being no evidence to support that. My question is why do you think that "these cops probably also are trained" in Aikido?

As I said, this is not an attempt to show you up, or anything of the kind… it's to help us understand where you're coming from, so we can help you identify what actually is Aikido in the future… or if it is even close to what you think it is.

It doesn't work that way. To deal with the MMA side of things, that environment is so far removed from the application and context of Aikido that it's pointless to look for it there… you want to fight in MMA? Train in MMA-related approaches. As for "REAL STREET FIGHTS", look, I'm going to say something that might come as a bit of a shock to you… that's not what martial arts are designed for. Asking for video evidence that might well not exist isn't going to prove particularly fruitful for you… we can provide video of Aikido, or we can provide video of "REAL STREET FIGHTS"… but it's unlikely that the two will be in the same clip.

And I wouldn't expect them to.

Hmm… I can see where you're coming from, but no. Aikido (and any martial art) is not it's techniques, so you're looking at it from the wrong angle.

Well… that's mainly because it is Aikido.

Hmm… not really the same at all… the only similarities are that there's a movement under the arm, and the contact/pressure is applied to the wrist… but it's not applied the same way, it's not the same locking principle in play, the movement is very different, and so on.

And, honestly, you've missed the point of what makes something Aikido (or any art) or not. It's not the techniques. And while it's true that a wrist can only be moved/manipulated so many ways, there are ways that fit one art, and ways that don't. Whether or not they fit, and why (or why not) is the important part… not what they are.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Although this video doesn't include any 'real' fighting it shows enough aikido in action to see what sort of techniques an Aikidoka might utilise. There is no similarity between this and the clips posted.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr68Ix9nXJk

I've seen this video before and it's pretty nice to see aikido demonstrated this way other then the common multiple attacker running at their sensei with half assed strikes and then being tossed one after another.