Self defense against people who don't wear masks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, they plucked it out of the air at random, if you disagree try justifying it

Ok. Here is the justification for the number.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17513758.2018.1484186

Good luck with that one.

Because without the neccecary training it is unlikely either of us are going to understand how they got the 40 million figure from that.

The difference is I acknowledge I don't understand it and will take their word for it. And I assume you will use methods you do understand and come up with a figure that is wrong.

E.g..

Like those guys in Florida. When they don't understand the situation they apply what they do.

And wind up with Jesus hates masks or something.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No. That report is the evidence. So I can say the figure is right due to that particular modeling used. The report itself shows it was substantially correct.

Substituting that reality for your own and saying it is wrong because you think so isn't as convincing.

You would need to show why it is wrong.
how can a report show that its self is substantially correct???????

its up to you, if you want to contest my statement then find some evidence that the report is correct in whole or part, that isnt the report its self

otherwise youl have to carry on being misinformed

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok. Here is the justification for the number.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17513758.2018.1484186

Good luck with that one.

Because without the neccecary training it is unlikely either of us are going to understand how they got the 40 million figure from that.

The difference is I acknowledge I don't understand it and will take their word for it. And I assume you will use methods you do understand and come up with a figure that is wrong.

E.g..

Like those guys in Florida. When they don't understand the situation they apply what they do.

And wind up with Jesus hates masks or something.
im not sure why you posted that, that you dont understand it some what obvious, how you intend to support something you dont understand is another matter

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. The mask protects other people from viral particles in the droplets coming out of your mouth. YOU wear a mask to protect ME, and I wear a mask to protect YOU.
Perhaps a N95, but a handkerchief wrapped around the face does very little. Technically a reduction, probably. Ultimate protection like a deflector shield from Star Wars, not so much.

I spent time in health care too.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
im not sure why you posted that, that you dont understand it some what obvious, how you intend to support something you dont understand is another matter

Yeah. It is called the Trump factor.

So some people think, like yourself,. that if you don't understand something then it has to be wrong and if you do understand it then it is right.

And again we can use those anti mask morons as an example.

Where the explanation they understand. Jesus hates masks or drain the swamp or whatever is the explanation is. They accept.

But in complicated issues like pandemic modeling you are not going to understand it without the years of grounding in the subject.

That doesn't make the experts wrong.

You can't make an argument that you are stupid so therefore right.

That doesn't make sense.

Again Trump factor.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

its up to you, if you want to contest my statement then find some evidence that the report is correct in whole or part, that isnt the report its self

I have contest your statement simply by saying there is no evidence to support your statement.

Otherwise it is like showing a math equation is correct. By showing the process.

Which is primarily what we are looking at anyway.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Or more simply this.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just curious. What are you guys doing to keep yourself safe in these times?

I've been in quarantine and social distancing, have been since early March. Have been out of work, which I'm loving. I'm masked everywhere I go, and have several spares with me. I don't let anyone without a mask anywhere near me. I have disinfected wipes with me everywhere, even with me when I have to shop, carrying them right into the store.

I only visit with friends who I know have been quarantining, that are taking the same precautions and consider the pandemic as serious as I do.

I'll continue to do so for as long as it takes. Which I'm guessing will be another year at the least.

It's been easier here because we're isolated. But now there's more flights coming in, and even more to come soon. Too soon.

Tourists come here to get away from what they've been going through at home. But most, at least it seems to me, don't think care has to be taken here. I stay away from them. I've told a few to stay back when they approached with a question while my wife and I were hiking.

I take unmasked idiots who come near me as a threat against my safety and shall respond accordingly in any way I deem necessary.

I know this thread has morphed away from your original post. But that's what I'm doing to keep safe.

What about you, Steve? And how's where you are right now?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been in quarantine and social distancing, have been since early March. Have been out of work, which I'm loving. I'm masked everywhere I go, and have several spares with me. I don't let anyone without a mask anywhere near me. I have disinfected wipes with me everywhere, even with me when I have to shop, carrying them right into the store.

I only visit with friends who I know have been quarantining, that are taking the same precautions and consider the pandemic as serious as I do.

I'll continue to do so for as long as it takes. Which I'm guessing will be another year at the least.

It's been easier here because we're isolated. But now there's more flights coming in, and even more to come soon. Too soon.

Tourists come here to get away from what they've been going through at home. But most, at least it seems to me, don't think care has to be taken here. I stay away from them. I've told a few to stay back when they approached with a question while my wife and I were hiking.

I take unmasked idiots who come near me as a threat against my safety and shall respond accordingly in any way I deem necessary.

I know this thread has morphed away from your original post. But that's what I'm doing to keep safe.

What about you, Steve? And how's where you are right now?
This post reminded me of a different answer-I quit the hospital! Last day's going to be in about 2 weeks, and all my classes for the following 6 months will be online, so hopefully by the time it makes its way back to NY I will be able to quarantine myself as much as I need to. And planning on, if my budget allows for it, to sign up for bryan stoops program I mentioned in another thread to continue my kali, and check out silat/WC.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have contest your statement simply by saying there is no evidence to support your statement.

Otherwise it is like showing a math equation is correct. By showing the process.

Which is primarily what we are looking at anyway.
no statement was the report was wrong because there was no evidence it was correct,

you cant claim there is no evidence that there is no evidence, when its clear there is no evidence or you would have produced it

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
no statement was the report was wrong because there was no evidence it was correct,

you cant claim there is no evidence that there is no evidence, when its clear there is no evidence or you would have produced it

The modeling is the evidence. Like a maths equation. The method in this case is the evidence.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The modeling is the evidence. Like a maths equation. The method in this case is the evidence.
and that modelling is self evidently wrong

you cant use an incorrect statement to prove the same incorrect statement as true, thats circular logic

now if you have something else, post it other wise we will just have to agree to differ

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
and that modelling is self evidently wrong

you cant use an incorrect statement to prove the same incorrect statement as true, thats circular logic

now if you have something else, post it other wise we will just have to agree to differ

And by self evident you mean Brawndo has what plants crave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions