Self-defense against a friend, or any other person you ordinarily wouldn't want hurt

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been in one fight like that. My cousin punched me. He was sick and we had been hunting. It was like 20 degrees and he got pissed because I was trying to help him instead of getting my own stuff done.

Anyway. I didn't believe he was going to actually punch me till his fist was like 3 inches from my face. I think I mainly didn't beat him down out of shock. But I turned him on his heels and slammed him into the truck and held him till my father broke us up.

Jujitsu is a great art :).

I also had to break up a fight between 2 students and one tried to turn and hit me (didn't realize I was a teacher and not another student). He was lifted and shoved back before he could do anything. Again it was my knowledge of grappling/jujitsu/judo that is what I used. So yes it does :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That was along my line of thinking as well. Cause pain and gain compliance.

Be Leery that pain may piss them off and cause an autonomic fight response. :) but hey...if you are in control then maybe a little extra dose of pain will settle their butt down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How much is realistically possible with a block like this? Can those of us who are NOT martial arts champions learn to block forcefully enough that the blocked limb HURTS enough to dissuade further strikes?
If you want to, the answer is 'yes'. You can learn to use a 'block' to cause pain. In this case the 'block' is actually a strike. However, whether you will ever be able to use it in a real situation depends on whether or not you are prepared to train to acquire the instinctive response needed to intercept a punch and the quickness of mind to strike the arm before it retracts. Most karate training I have come across does not do that. Other arts like WC, and Aikido, teach simultaneous deflection and strike although, with these, the strike is not normally to the limb.
:asian:

Bluesman

White Belt
Reaction score
Hard push to the chest should do the trick. Just hard enough so that it shocks them and let's them know that next time it won't be as friendly!!

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not as a separate thing. There are a number of techniques and options that can be used to defend against someone with the minimum of force. For example an armbar can be used to break an arm or just control someone and a defense against a neck or shoulder grab can involve a strike to the throat or a tickle under the armpits.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not as a separate thing. There are a number of techniques and options that can be used to defend against someone with the minimum of force. For example an armbar can be used to break an arm or just control someone and a defense against a neck or shoulder grab can involve a strike to the throat or a tickle under the armpits.

I disagree with the idea of placing someone in an armbar as a method of restraint. Keeping someone in that position for an extended time can lead to hyperextension of the joint, or an actual break. It's better to pin the person down.

Kesa Gatame for example is an excellent pin, because it's secure, you're not hurting the person, and you can easily transition into more offensive mode if the situation calls for it.

Some of the pins found in Aikido are very good as well.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah I scarf hold pretty much everybody. Easier on the knees on concrete.

Yeah, and again, its fairly easy to make a Kesa uncomfortable for the person if you want to. Simply applying top pressure to their chest can be a pretty unbearable experience on a hard surface.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagree with the idea of placing someone in an armbar as a method of restraint. Keeping someone in that position for an extended time can lead to hyperextension of the joint, or an actual break. It's better to pin the person down.
I didn't actually say restrain or to keep anyone in any position for an extended period.. There are degrees of control. If you are at a party and a relative or a friend is getting unruly just putting them in a arm bar and then putting them on the ground can be enough of a deterrent.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ha this is actually a funny story. My head instructor and a couple of other people from the club were out drinking and one was drunk and being an *** to the head instructor. The instructor warned him to back off a few times when he didnt he lashed out and grabbed him the throat for a few seconds. That him stop haha.

Another time same guy was slapping the instructor in a joke playful way. Again he warned him to stop but he didnt so he parried a slap and flicked him in the eye again stopped it

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
While substitute teaching, I once had to subdue a vilent 9yo who had just attacked several students. Obviously, beating him would result in me going to jail for awhile. I used some of the aikido I'd been studying. He tried to punch me with his left, I stepped to the outside, caught his punch, and reversed it for a wrist lock... aiming him into a nearby chair. He kept screaming a deep gutteral sound while lunging at me. Each time he did, he let out a yelp as it simply tightened the wrist restraint, causing pain. He calmed soon after realizing he couldn't get out of it. The nice thing was I didn't have to injure him (just discomfort), and to other students, it just looked like I was holding his wrist with one hand.

I think anyone well versed in their particular art should be capable of adjusting the techniques and damage to fit the situation. Although, I would favor grappling styles for someone you want to "control".