Scenario training...

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
+1

One of the first simunition hurdles we hit (back in the day) was the "I'm out" factor. Experience playing painball and even childhood wargaming with bb guns, cap pistols etc...tends to ingrain the "play dead" thing in guys. They feel the pellet strike and act like the scenario is over and that they "lost".

In good scenarios the "good guy never dies..hit or not" you keep fighting till the "bad guys" die or the scenario is ended. That's how it is in the "real world"....you fight as long as you can fight. There's no "dying" until you die.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Jason

White Belt
Reaction score
"Scenario training is indeed a "laboratory" setting."

Good statement

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Scenario training isn't about the "fight" or how much you resist the student. You teach that on the mat/ring. Scenarios are about the strategy/tactics you employ to navigate through a "real worldish" type of environment.

Ive been through those "no win" style scenarios before, and in every one, it was about the egotistical ******* role player rather than any attempt to teach the student anything.

A scenario should be about trying to TEACH something vs an all out paintball game style competition IMO. For example...we had a scenario where we were trying to teach officers to call a known suspect OUT of a room and too them vs going into a room after a BG once you see him.

If the student called out the BG, the BG complied and then the SECOND person hiding in the room was found during the completion of the search. WIN. If the officers went in, both BG opened up on them. LOOSE.

There was a specific lesson being taught in the scenario....it wasn't about winning a gunfight. If the role players decided that they would "fight no matter what", the *******s would be removed from the training unit.

They are doing scenarios instead of the mat or the ring though.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What kind of scenario training do you do in order to

- safely move into your opponent without being kicked, kneed, punched, or elbowed?
- finish the fight ASAP?

Does the terms "entering strategy" and "finish strategy" have any meaning if all your concern is "self-defense" and not "sport"?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What kind of scenario training do you do in order to

- safely move into your opponent without being kicked, kneed, punched, or elbowed?
- finish the fight ASAP?

Does the terms "entering strategy" and "finish strategy" have any meaning if all your concern is "self-defense" and not "sport"?

I don't think "scenario training" has the same meaning in a sport sense....that would be "drill" as I see things. Or "ring strategy".

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The original premis is that cs is an alternative to sparring or competition. And aparently a better one for skills development.

Where was that "premise"?

Scenarios are not about martial arts technique training....no more than our LE scenarios are about firearms marksmanship l.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Where was that "premise"?

Scenarios are not about martial arts technique training....no more than our LE scenarios are about firearms marksmanship l.

On another thread that pretty much started this. Combat scenarios are supposed to be all encompassing because the street or something.

First post mentions it.
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/90-general-self-defense/114337-scenario-training.html

I did them for my security course. We all learnt goose necks and then had to do them in scenario.

Within about five seconds everybody was doing chokes.

Instructor said we were doing it wrong. Rather than it just doesn't work all that well when someone is fighting back

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y05Xf1FYlG8

Last edited:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
On another thread that pretty much started this. Combat scenarios are supposed to be all encompassing because the street or something.

First post mentions it.
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/90-general-self-defense/114337-scenario-training.html

I did them for my security course. We all learnt goose necks and then had to do them in scenario.

Within about five seconds everybody was doing chokes.

Instructor said we were doing it wrong.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y05Xf1FYlG8

Scenarios are not all encompassing. They are specific exercises with specific goals and objectives to look for.

Last edited:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A lot of the scenarios we do are simply escapes. And you don't always succeed.

An example of a fight prep drill we use.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/75-mma/113976-mother-all-drills.html
Sorry, but this is not scenario training to my mind. Your SES example was scenario as it is trying to create a real world situation. Training for the ring is training for the ring. Training when you are tired is training when you are tired. Nothing to do with scenario training.
:asian:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry, but this is not scenario training to my mind. Your SES example was scenario as it is trying to create a real world situation. Training for the ring is training for the ring. Training when you are tired is training when you are tired. Nothing to do with scenario training.
:asian:

They are scenarios.

You don't do mma. You wouldn't understand.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then it would just be a sparring/fighting drill and not scenario training.

But then sparring would teach different skills to scenarios. You might even need both in whatever system you train.

The thing is if you are too easy then you fall in to that compliant drill trap. It becomes larp.

Latest Discussions