Say hello to the unemployable

I'm acquainted with a gal in Nova Scotia, who has some very interesting tattoos and piercings. She works in a bank.

So, you can never tell.

Also, one of the local tellers has multi-colored hair and a few facial piercings. Nothing to the extent of the chaps at the top of the thread though.

I just showed those photos to my daughter and her comment was:

That's nasty! I don't feel good now!

She's 14.

I like tattoos and piercings, but to a degree - some of those fotos I just ... can't wrap my mind around why anyone would feel the need to go to those lengths. And yes, I know all about tribal modifications and mutilations and I feel the same way about that.

*shudder*

Gimme a pink-haired, tattooed, eyebrow-pierced bank teller anyday ... but some of those pics are ... nauseating. Sorry.

ok - I have a serious question about these that I've wondered for a while.

Now I know that a lot of these are removable, but some are not, correct?

So with the ones that aren't removable....what about medical procedures? Even the ones that are, if someone who has them is in an emergency and needs immediate medical attention, won't a lot of it need to be taken out FIRST? Delaying help?

And what if they need an MRI?

Question aside, I met The Enigma in Atlantic City with his "Human Marvels" show and he was an incredibly nice guy. So these modifications shouldn't be used to judge someone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Enigma_(person)

I think the issue comes down not so much to body modification, as Cryo pointed out, most people modify to some extent. I think what tends to make people cringe is that in extreme cases of body "modification" what we see is more accurately self-mutilation. So they garner the same response as someone who would choose to cut a finger off or something. We say, "Why the heck would they do that?"

I think the issue comes down not so much to body modification, as Cryo pointed out, most people modify to some extent. I think what tends to make people cringe is that in extreme cases of body "modification" what we see is more accurately self-mutilation. So they garner the same response as someone who would choose to cut a finger off or something. We say, "Why the heck would they do that?"

Well, yeah, I mean, there are certain things i dont get like Tounge and Penis splitting (so you have 2 of each) BUT they make sense to the people doing them... here in Illinois they tried to ban Tongue splitting, and I don't understand why we need a law against that, is it hurting anyone else, if someone has his tongue split?

Well, yeah, I mean, there are certain things i dont get like Tounge and Penis splitting (so you have 2 of each) BUT they make sense to the people doing them... here in Illinois they tried to ban Tongue splitting, and I don't understand why we need a law against that, is it hurting anyone else, if someone has his tongue split?

I agree, whatever reason someone chooses in regards to any body modification is no ones business but theirs. I heard about that law trying to be passed. Hey, if someone chooses to do that, and it's done under safe and sanitary conditions, what's the big need for a law against it? Like you said, it isn't hurting anyone else. :idunno:

Look at what body modification did to Michael Jackson. What about the cat lady, Jocelyne Wildenstein? And there's many more who fall into that category of plastic surgery overkill. If they're gonna outlaw any type of body modification they need to rethink what is allowable in all cosmetic procedures that involve a permanent alteration.

ok - I have a serious question about these that I've wondered for a while.

Now I know that a lot of these are removable, but some are not, correct?

So with the ones that aren't removable....what about medical procedures? Even the ones that are, if someone who has them is in an emergency and needs immediate medical attention, won't a lot of it need to be taken out FIRST? Delaying help?

And what if they need an MRI?
I can't say for certain, but I would think they would HAVE to remove everything for an MRI and in an emergency situation, I would THINK they would have these things removed for them. I'm sure someone would either surgically remove the piercing (the fastest and most logical approach, IMO) or cut the ring, barbell, gauge, whatever it was such that it could be removed. I'll have to ask a friend of mine about that.
Question aside, I met The Enigma in Atlantic City with his "Human Marvels" show and he was an incredibly nice guy. So these modifications shouldn't be used to judge someone.
I don't doubt that they are people worth knowing ... I just sometimes wonder if they feel they are worth knowing.

You're completely right, they would definately need to be removed...but that adds a lot of time in an emergency situation. An MRI would not really be an emergency, but it is a pretty common procedure.....and if your metal objects aren't removed....Well, HUGE Magnet + metal under your skin. OUCH!

Well, yeah, I mean, there are certain things i dont get like Tounge and Penis splitting (so you have 2 of each)

I was fine looking at the pictures until you said that and was stupid enough to do a google search. Words fail me. :mst:

You're completely right, they would definately need to be removed...but that adds a lot of time in an emergency situation. An MRI would not really be an emergency, but it is a pretty common procedure.....and if your metal objects aren't removed....Well, HUGE Magnet + metal under your skin. OUCH!

Apparently it's not only piercings that can cause problems with MRI scans. Some old tattoo ink contqained metal as well which can cause pain and interfere with the MRI results. Just another reason for choosing your tattoo artist carefully.

link

It is the powerful magnetic force that creates a concern, not only to those who are tattooed, but also to anyone with metal objects in their bodies such as implants (dental or otherwise), pacemakers or even metal fragments. The magnetic force of an MRI machine is so strong, even the “weakest” machine used (about 0.5-tesla) is 10,000 times the strength of the Earth’s magnetic field. Even small metal objects such as paperclips or keys can become projectile weapons if left in an MRI room during a scan. So, what does all of this have to do with tattoos? Well, it appears that about 20 years ago and further, tattoo ink was sometimes comprised of small fragments of metal as well as other ingredients. This was long before tattoos were ever regulated and before more serious thought was given as to the safety of tattoo ink ingredients. Some MRI patients who have had tattoos that dated back far enough to have received ink that contained metal bits have reported slight discomfort to severe pain during an MRI scan.

shesulsa said:
... I just sometimes wonder if they feel they are worth knowing.

Now that's something to think about. :asian:

Apparently it's not only piercings that can cause problems with MRI scans. Some old tattoo ink contqained metal as well which can cause pain and interfere with the MRI results. Just another reason for choosing your tattoo artist carefully.

http://tattoo.about.com/cs/tatfaq/a/mri_scan.htm

I think that was old red pigments that used to have iron in them for coloring, but it's no longer an issue to my knowledge. :)

I agree, whatever reason someone chooses in regards to any body modification is no ones business but theirs. I heard about that law trying to be passed. Hey, if someone chooses to do that, and it's done under safe and sanitary conditions, what's the big need for a law against it? Like you said, it isn't hurting anyone else. :idunno:

I have to rethink position regarding some of the extreme modifications and the legality of the procedures. I found this while researching the procedure further.

WARNING: Tongue splitting is a dangerous procedure that can lead to permanent disability, and/or severe injury, up to and including death. Please proceed with extreme caution.

Article on Illinois bill to ban tongue splitting.

I don't know what the odds are for these risks are so can't comment. But it makes me think the reasoning behind a potential law against such practices is more the health/saftey issues rather than the resulting appearance.

**edited to add**
When performed by a board-certified surgeon in a hospital or surgery center, the procedure can be performed safely and painlessly.
link

Maybe it should only be mandated that the procedure be performed by a board certified plastic surgeon. Then again, there are many cosmetic procedures which are done by surgeons who are not board certified, although those are often the ones who end up with terrible results and other problems.

In any case, whatever the reason for the individual choice, I hope they are wise enough to seek out the best to perform the procedures. From a simple piercing to more extreme forms of modification, the person performing the procedure can make all the difference in the world in the result.

Article on Illinois bill that would ban tongue piercing.

You are what you do and not what you look like.
Choice of personal self expression is but your own.

yeah the only job I cuold see them have would be tatto artist but even then they would be scary! ouch some of those had to hurt. like the guy with the huge hole in his nose why would you ever want to do that

I just have to say this and i will let it go. this is from Antonio Graceffo-" a man once fell asleep and dreamed he was a butterfly, but when he awoke he didn't know if he was a man who dreamed about being a butterfly or a butterfly who was dreaming he was a man. So I asked my sifu- which one is true? The monk said- they are both wrong. There is no reality, only perception. If people perceive you as a butterfly, you are a butterfly. If people perceive you as a man, you are a man."

It doesn't matter what you think of yourself in front of people, it is their perception of you that matters in the workplace, a school, or at any job. If you feel comfortable with who you are and have no consideration what you look like to other people, so be it. Just don't get pissed off if they perceive you as strange.

Last edited by a moderator:
I respect them for doing what the do. There is an old saying, "My body is mine and I have the right to change it." Personally not for me, I'm happy with a single tattoo or maybe two or three down the road. But no way am I going to have an extra 45 pounds on metal on my face to carry around.

Latest Discussions

Back