Say hello to the unemployable

I know of an attractive girl at my work who has a tiny diamond chip on her nostril. I remember thinking/hoping that she won't get carried away with it in the future. She's really pretty and shouldn't mar such beauty with piercings.

Here's something to think about. For as long as I can remember, I have hated my nose. I always thought the nostril piercings looked pretty, but would not get one myself because I didn't have a small, pretty nose and I didn't want anything to draw more attention to it. For 6 YEARS I envied woman with the small diamond chip in their nostril. Then, recently, I thought "**** it". I'm not gonna let my insecurities over appearance control what I really want to do. So, I got my nostril pierced. And you know what? Instead of feeling like I'm drawing attention to something I am self-conscious about, I feel like I made it prettier. Now I am less self-conscious about my nose than I was before I had it pierced. Go figure. I did NOT anticipate that result, but I am happy for it.

Sukerkin said:
You make me fear that I am horribly old fashioned and repressive JT :(.

I don't know if it's related to my fear of needles (long story ... blood poisoning as a child ... many injections) but any piercings make my stomach turn (with the exception of normal earings, probably because the fact that they do pierce the lobe is somewhat masked).

Hey, if I had to go through that I'd feel the same way. I'm glad you came out of it ok. Blood poisoning is scary. Lobes are much less risky than cartilage piercings. One thing most people don't consider is that they need to give who pierces them as much consideration as who tattoos them. Oh wait...most people DON'T give much consideration to who tattoos them.

I like the neck lacing.
I admit to finding mods intriguing, myself. I don't think I'd hire anyone to work direct customer service out of this bunch; but, that's not the only job in the world.

I remember a lady who had large earrings, she was holding on to a baby and the baby yanked on one of the earrings. The lady almost dropped the baby. Then i remember the Punisher where the crooks pulled out a bunch of the guys piercings- my skin crawled. Nope- no piercings for me. I will settle for a little facial hair or a nice tan to augment my good looks- he he- lol

Makes me wonder what they're going to look like when they get much, much older....

- Ceicei

Do you think I'm too old to start, really this is just what the doctor order

Do you think I'm too old to start, really this is just what the doctor order

I dunno, Terry... our sparring rules require all piercings to be removed for safety's sake - can you imagine how long it would take for some of these people? :lol:

I used to work with a guy the earlobes. It was interesting- he told me how he had to work his way up- small, etc., and how when he started, they made slits in the ear and the earrings just stretched the lobe. I saw him once without them in- GROSS!

God I hate these threads... I deal with this kind of stuff in real life ALL the time and its amazing to see people who will jump down your throat for disliking a racial or religious group start bashing someones social choices.

My Brother in Law owns a Tattoo/Piercing studio, and I have grown up around this sort of thing, so to me it's "normal"... now obviously some of it is more extreme than others, as has been pointed out, but so what? Who are you to say Joe is wrong because he has a 00 guage plug in his lip, while you run off to have a facelift or dye your hair so they grey don't show, eh? Why is your choice of body modification Ok, but theirs is not, I wonder?

Some folks just want to say something... WHAT? I have no clue but they think they're expressing themselves with excessive piercings. Sheesh... soo umm, like... what's your message dude?

A lot of times it isn't a message of **** off, man... its a sort of filter to attract like minded people... There is (or was at one time before it became all trendy) a certian attitude and mindset that came with this sort of thing. Of course, I do recall wearing facial jewelry in High School and getting ridiculed for it, by the same cliques who now cant wait to get their cute little belly button piercing... so that meaning has changed, and to use the filter the same way you need to be more extreme to set yourself apart from the Baha Beach Bimbo crowd. You won't see Miffy the cheerleader getting her face or back laced, but she has no problem with a belly button ring, or a cute little unicorn tattoo on her shoulder or (panty line to hide it from mommy and daddy)... The subculture got co-opted, and as a result the subculture modified itself to retain meaning. I have no issue with that. You wanna take issue with it? Stop letting your teenage daughters get that cute trendy piercing and maybe it will settle back down in dozen or so years. Otherwise, what the hell does it matter. I know guys who look like that who have WAYYYYYY better jobs than I have ever had... good pay, good hours, etc... Its not about how you look, its about how hard you work to get there.

(by the way, this message, and the Yous and Theys does not address anyone specific to this board, its a generic term)

Now, all that said, I have a lot of body art, but no longer wear any piercings... I see them as nothing more than handles. :D

God I hate these threads... I deal with this kind of stuff in real life ALL the time and its amazing to see people who will jump down your throat for disliking a racial or religious group start bashing someones social choices.​

My Brother in Law owns a Tattoo/Piercing studio, and I have grown up around this sort of thing, so to me it's "normal"... now obviously some of it is more extreme than others, as has been pointed out, but so what? Who are you to say Joe is wrong because he has a 00 guage plug in his lip, while you run off to have a facelift or dye your hair so they grey don't show, eh? Why is your choice of body modification Ok, but theirs is not, I wonder?​

A lot of times it isn't a message of **** off, man... its a sort of filter to attract like minded people... There is (or was at one time before it became all trendy) a certian attitude and mindset that came with this sort of thing. Of course, I do recall wearing facial jewelry in High School and getting ridiculed for it, by the same cliques who now cant wait to get their cute little belly button piercing... so that meaning has changed, and to use the filter the same way you need to be more extreme to set yourself apart from the Baha Beach Bimbo crowd. You won't see Miffy the cheerleader getting her face or back laced, but she has no problem with a belly button ring, or a cute little unicorn tattoo on her shoulder or (panty line to hide it from mommy and daddy)... The subculture got co-opted, and as a result the subculture modified itself to retain meaning. I have no issue with that. You wanna take issue with it? Stop letting your teenage daughters get that cute trendy piercing and maybe it will settle back down in dozen or so years. Otherwise, what the hell does it matter. I know guys who look like that who have WAYYYYYY better jobs than I have ever had... good pay, good hours, etc... Its not about how you look, its about how hard you work to get there.​

(by the way, this message, and the Yous and Theys does not address anyone specific to this board, its a generic term)​

Now, all that said, I have a lot of body art, but no longer wear any piercings... I see them as nothing more than handles. :D
You have to get the job, first, before you can do it as good or better than anyone else. To handycap your self is a tad counter productive.
sean

I dunno, Terry... our sparring rules require all piercings to be removed for safety's sake - can you imagine how long it would take for some of these people? :lol:

Days if not weeks, Could you imagine getting kicked with the force of a roundhouse with those on,

Days if not weeks, Could you imagine getting kicked with the force of a roundhouse with those on,

I'd rather not... I remember, about 10 years ago, a young woman who was a III Dan, who got her belly button pierced, and then went and told everyone at the dojang right before Nationals, and the chief referee told her to take it out... well, she didn't, and since it was right behind her belt knot, and she was competing for a spot on the international team, the competition was pretty fierce... long story short, she didn't so much as tape the belly button ring down, someone kicked her right in the belt knot at an angle, and ripped it out, causing her to lose the match, and her chance at being a member of the team. I've always been pretty leery of non-removable (or hard to remove) piercings on martial artists since then - earrings are one thing, and so are nose studs... but some of the ones in those pictures, like the giant lip ring, could be down-right dangerous - as Cryozombie said: "handles". Gives me the willies just thinking about what could happen, especially as I know someone who had an earring ripped out in a street fight.

You have to get the job, first, before you can do it as good or better than anyone else. To handycap your self is a tad counter productive.
sean

No, I didnt say doing the job better... I said "Doing Better" meaning either more wealth, prosperity, or Job satisfaction.

And I guess it depends on the Job eh?

Mehrdadmed.jpg
tonguehole9gb.jpg

Which of those two people based on appearance is likley to get Hired as a n apparal Buyer for a retail chain? Suit guy right, hands down...

What if that chain is "Hot Topic"? Bet suit guy gets points off... and I know from experience with the Company, their buyers start close to 100k a year... or, they did anyway 8 years ago when I was with them. Hell of a lot better off than the Job I had at the tech company for 35k. I coincede the fact that there are fewer jobs like that availible, but they exsist.

Those are some really interesting folks we got there. Wow, just wow.

Latest Discussions

Back