Running vs. Biking

Woodbutcher

White Belt
Reaction score
I LOVE to bike. In season I put about 100 miles on my odometer. The drawback is simply time. I'm an OK runner (8 min/Mile crusing speed) so I can get my cardio in that way if needed.

With adding TKD to my schedule, it cuts into the number of days I can ride my bike, but there is ALWAYS time for a run. Riding my bike my HR is about 155-165 (peaks of 170-174). Running my HR hovers in the high 160's. So, riding for 2 hours at 155 or running 45 min at 165.

Which work out would better complement my TKD training? I eat like crap on the weekends, so my body fat % sucks (17-18%).

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even though I have been joging for cardio, the truthis I would love to be riding a bike instead. I just do not own one and the cost is too much right now but maybe by summer I can get one.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is what I think you need to do, go take an indoor cycle class. I teach this class and I use it as part of my triathlon training. It will kick the crap out of you in 1 hour. Alternate this with running, swimming, and strength training.

But remember, it all comes back to specificity. The type of training has to be similar to what you are training for.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I prefer running over Biking.

Runnng allows more footwork to be developed and can offer a better range of movement for martial artist.

On the flip side biking allows less impact on the ground so less injury on the knee joints and also works the Abs good.

So both have pros and cons.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I prefer running to biking, but my doctor is encouraging me to take up biking due to injuries. Running is better for cardio, cycling is better on joints. If you prefer biking, I'd encourage you to do that. It's less jarring on your bones. Over the long haul, it's a better choice. Plus, you said you enjoy it more. THAT goes a long way in my book.

mozzandherb

Green Belt
Reaction score
I enjoy running more, but like has been mentioned it kills my joints, so I have bought a spinner bike. I'm better at running, but the spinner is a really good workout and if you take a spinning class, it will be one of the most intense workouts you do...it's hard. Which one is better for training in TKD? Well I guess they're both good for cardio, but it really depends on how you train with them (aerobic vs anaerobic), and what your goals are.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score

I am teaching Cycle Reebok right now, but I have taught Spinning in the past. As for which bike, all of my bikes are Schwinn Spinning cycles.

FYI-all indoor cycle classes are not Spinning, that is just a name everyone gives them. They use different workouts and programming.

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I usually take the bike over the run, myself.

I have been riding mountain bikes pretty hardcore for about 13 years. I like the change in scenery, getting away from the cars and the roads, the dirt and rocks flinging around me, and the intense interval training I get from it. I've ridden my mountain bike on the roads a lot. It's fun for a long endurance workout, but I feel that even a short ride in the woods works my endurance and my skills far more. That's pretty much one of the major reasons that I favor white water kayaking to flat water.

Honestly though, why don't you just stick with both? Running and biking can both be good for you. Why not run sometimes and then bike sometimes. Both are going to be beneficial to your health.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i was in very good shape back when i alternated between the two. i hate doing both. also, had less knee troubles doing both because they work opposing muscles.

jf

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I LOVE to bike. In season I put about 100 miles on my odometer. The drawback is simply time. I'm an OK runner (8 min/Mile crusing speed) so I can get my cardio in that way if needed.

With adding TKD to my schedule, it cuts into the number of days I can ride my bike, but there is ALWAYS time for a run. Riding my bike my HR is about 155-165 (peaks of 170-174). Running my HR hovers in the high 160's. So, riding for 2 hours at 155 or running 45 min at 165.

Which work out would better complement my TKD training? I eat like crap on the weekends, so my body fat % sucks (17-18%).

Acutally running burns more calories. Honestly , if you run about 20mins three times a week , that should be enough.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
THis is a tough one, depends on your own body type etc and if the higher impact of running is okay for you.

I would say that in my experience and on the research I have done, nothing moves the pounds and rips you up like running, not even spin classes and cycling. THis is dependant of course on you being able to take the ongoing impact which may be dependant on your size etc.

Due to having to do my cardio training in a shorter time before work to fit my day in I go for a 35-45 minute run in the morning, I would need far more time to replicate this cardio workout on the bike - you may be in the same time-hungry position.

As you do TKD, running may also be better for you than a lot of cycling. It would be good to hear other oppinions on this point but when I used to compete in tournaments frequently, my trainer would not let me ride much, I had to get my cardio through running. He said that the movement in cycling was detrimental to full kicking ability and muscle memory and development for kick-specific movements. Whereas the movement of running was complementary to kicking. He had trained in the States, Europe and Japan and is a highly accomplished fighter but I should have asked him for some supporting evidence. He said he took this from some Eastern European training squad but I cannot find anything supporting on the web. I did not question his veracity as whatever he has suggested has worked for me but I would like further information on this: cycling vs running as to kicking movement.

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Also , you may want to try cross training. Even thoug running does burn more calories , if you mix things up a bit with cross training , it will build you up alot more. For example, let say you have an hour a day for cardio, in my opionion it would be better to spend 30mins running and 30 biking. That way you will work out the same muscle groups but in different ways. Try to change up your running as well. For example , (if you are running for 30 mins) let the first 5 mins be your warm up , where you start off powerwalking then increase to a light jog, after 5 mins start to increase you speed (slowly) to a run (but not sprint) .When you reach about 20mins take the pace down for about a min , then spend the reminder of your 10mins doing wind sprints.

After that ride your bike for half an hour.

This way will build your leg muscles and endurance alot more , because you will force your body to become stronger , by working out different ways.

If you want to build even more , throw swimming into the mix.!!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I prefer biking. Running is just murder on the joints.

Due to traumatic arthritis from a skiing accident in my early twenties, I found it very painful to run more than short distances, so I got into mountain biking for awhile. Eventually, my ankle problems got so bad I broke down and got orthotics (you know, those custom molded ankle supports that old folks get). I also lost about 35 lbs. and, what do you know? I could run again.

So now, once or twice a week, I jog up a really rough, rocky, desert mountain trail, and, more slowly, trot back down. It is tough on the knees, but... now when I go to my MA workouts, my foot placement and balance has improved, and I have more endurance than most of the young guys. Ha!

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
So which do you prefer? Running or biking?

this what a work out goes for me

stretching
basic stances
blocks - punches -kicks
katas
techniques
judo
boxing / kickboxing
spar/shadow box

and then

i jump on the cycle for a few miles i would run but time wise i cant do it cause of work but to me its like a perfect way to finish up my work out

and after the cycle i finish it off with crunches etc etc

it works for me i know that everybodys body is diffrent :angel:

Latest Discussions