Running is the best defense

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This poor girl ended up getting her leg broken after getting by a mob of kids.

http://www.avclub.com/philadelphia/...llout-a-multipleperspective-account-of,58379/

One part I found interesting.

They clearly didn’t want to rob us; they wanted to beat up the men in our group. I was barely a target; I think I was the only girl in the group to get my *** kicked because I tried to join a bunch of not-into-how-this-night-was-going girls from the mob who were doing this human-shield thing to prevent their friends from going after my friends. Yes, brilliant, I’m aware. But don’t let anyone convince you that there is a rational thought process involved when it comes to situations like this if you don’t have some very specialized training.

She is right. Once the adrenaline hits, people sometime make the wrong decisions. That's one of the advantages of Martial Arts is that you are able to deal with these situations.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
The way i see it, she was a part of the group, and therefore a target of said group.

As for running away, im not sure if your saying that as being factual, or as a half-sarcastic device, but either way... I had a friend a few years ago, who was with a few other friends, who ended up in a touch bit of a fight. He ran around the corner without going anywere near it, and swiftly tried to leave, before being struck in the back of the head by a thrown brick.
Running does not work on its own. You need an opening in which to do it first.
And thats where Martial Arts come in handy.
And by that point, running may become impractical.

It all depends on the situation.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The way i see it, she was a part of the group, and therefore a target of said group.

As for running away, im not sure if your saying that as being factual, or as a half-sarcastic device, but either way... I had a friend a few years ago, who was with a few other friends, who ended up in a touch bit of a fight. He ran around the corner without going anywhere near it, and swiftly tried to leave, before being struck in the back of the head by a thrown brick.
Running does not work on its own. You need an opening in which to do it first.
And that's where Martial Arts come in handy.
And by that point, running may become impractical.

It all depends on the situation.
Definitely. I've been lucky where I had ran and not gotten seriously hurt like that. Sometimes running isn't always the best but it is an option that should be taken as soon as an opening creates itself. But it's best to assess the situation faster than anyone else to make the right decision.

As for the adrenalin dump ... I'm sorry but, that can be controlled... not the bodily process of it but how it's used effectively and wisely.

Until a specific reason for this Mob attack can be pinned down I am hoping nobody (anywhere) is going to jump to conclusions although the rumors and "mis-tweet" is going to start a lot of problems.
Please read the conclusion of this article/essay...
Closing thoughts First: I’ve heard a lot of armchair quarterbacking about what we should have done, especially from people who are into concealed-carry and Bernie Goetz. I always carry pepper spray. But with the adrenaline going through my brain, if the thought, “Hey, I have pepper spray!” had squeezed through the wall of fight-or-flight—“**** **** **** **** ****!”—it would have done worse than no good. Unless you are literally Charles Bronson, you just don’t win fights where you’re outnumbered 20 to 1, even if you have a gun. Suggesting that shooting a gun into a crowd of crazed, violent teenagers would have somehow made them less crazed or violent I think means that you are drawing on imagination rather than memory. Just let me assure you: I was there. It wouldn’t have been a good scene..
Have to agree with this even if I'm pro-gun/pro-concealed carry... On 20 to one odds... don't even think it... RUN best as you can or do the best you can. The girl was lucky that they didn't stay to beat her to death, that they were "after the men".
The rest of her closing thoughts do need to be paid attention.

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
He who fights and runs away - lives to fight another day.
He who fights until the end - may NOT live to fight again.

For me, personally - running is NOT an option... never has been and never will be - but I'm crazy like that.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As for running away from a mob of 40 youths potentially armed (of whatever race or creed), well what on earth else would she do?

I do love her line though... "And, finally, I will not be moving in with my auntie and uncle in Bel-Air, but I appreciate the hundreds of suggestions" :)

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score

As for running away, im not sure if your saying that as being factual, or as a half-sarcastic device,

I am either being sarcastic or not. I never do things half-way. And no. I am not being sarcastic

but either way... I had a friend a few years ago, who was with a few other friends, who ended up in a touch bit of a fight. He ran around the corner without going anywere near it, and swiftly tried to leave, before being struck in the back of the head by a thrown brick.
Your friends is still alive. I rest my case.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am either being sarcastic or not. I never do things half-way. And no. I am not being sarcastic

Your friends is still alive. I rest my case.
Yeah. And blows to the head can be fatal, cause paralysis, or put you in hospital for two months.

Optionally, you can be Skilled, and Situationally Aware, and have a better chance of disabling multiple opponents who may be pursuing you.
Being alive is not the bottom line - There are plenty of people in the world who wish they were dead, due to injuries inflicted in Assaults, im sure.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok, you got about 40 of any kind or person, 12 year olds, or any age, white, black, red, yellow, or green with yellow stripes and purple polka-dots... does not matter! Get clear! brake contact and run for your life if you can... if you do not have an opening to run, well people its time to sell your life dearly. literally kill the first attacker, regardless or age or anything else. YOUR LIFE IS AT STAKE AT THAT POINT!

But, run if you can, and before it gets to where you have contact, and where you are going to have to engage the attackers because of distance and numbers, RUN!

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah. And blows to the head can be fatal, cause paralysis, or put you in hospital for two months.

Optionally, you can be Skilled, and Situationally Aware, and have a better chance of disabling multiple opponents who may be pursuing you.
Being alive is not the bottom line - There are plenty of people in the world who wish they were dead, due to injuries inflicted in Assaults, im sure.

And you can get stabbed, shot, stomped on and safe can be dropped on you if you stick around and go Steven Seagal.
Your rate of survival goes up when you leave dangerous situations.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite comment from Bruce Lee was my art is the art of fighting with out fighting and running is good but when you do not have that option better know what to do. Girls Women just plane stupid in SD and instructors as well not teaching them prevention. 90% of all atacks are on single persons not 2 or 3 or more together just simple stay together don't shop or travel alone. And give me a break you do kick boxing exercise on the street your will get your *** kicked or worse real preditors will take you down and enjoy doing it.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im all for running. I run 20-30 klms a week minimun as part of my cardio training. If I start running and they follow me I know for a fact that I wont start to tire until about the 15 klm mark. The average guy on the street will collapse in a heap after about 3 or 4 klms. Staying around to fight makes absolutely no sense to me at all, particularly if out-numbered. The only time people win fights against multiple attackers is in corny old kung fu movies. The other good part about running is that you are no chance of getting sued for assault later on.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You ain't gona have your runin shoes on when the **** hits the fan it will come at a check stand or atm or what ever endourence is fine in some cases but throw down life and death black zone adrenelin dump what ever knife or gun in your face your right there with the rest of the kick box aerobics classes that thinks your gonna survive good luck with that and the rest that never has traveled in the hood or danger zone its commin to a neighborhood near you soon its called Republican Tea Party revolution and people are going to be reduced to thier lowest levels common every day where I live and 911 is 7 days in response its comming to a neighborhood near you soon.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some of the runnign people just get my goat they are all gronala and all that and Greenees but they jog in traffic so every body can see what vertuous health and runners they are ant they are inhaleing the worst chemicals known to man from the cars and trucks and they ( women) get killed on a regular basis jogging alone being attacked by ever rapist sicafant even here getting atacked by bears what ever God does runnign mean you have to be stupid? Its as bad as the blonde in every slasher flick that always leaves the weopon with the attacker after they knock them down and run off the guy always gets up picks up the weopon and runs after them. Geez I always teach my students you know a weopon down you take it and run or use it on them.

90% of training I see does not prepare anyone to survive anything period. The new Masters Teaching License needs to throw them out in the hood or other places and if they come back alive great give them a license or otherwise give raiting like food establishments A-F for survivability what a joke!!!!!!! take your sport medals and other bull **** to East LA or San Jose or Boston or other Major Thug area Ive been to see what you got?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
take your sport medals and other bull **** to East LA or San Jose or Boston or other Major Thug area Ive been to see what you got?
I have never been to East LA. However, yes I do know the way to San Jose. I think what you are doing in your post is to make the point for running as a defence, no?

Should any of us lack the foresight or were just plain dumb enough to end up in a part of town which is bad for is then surely we would exit that place as quickly as we possibly could rather than standing around waiting for a group of youths to come pressure test our martial art, do you not think?

Self defence is not about proving the worthiness of our martial art. In this case from the original post, against 30-40 youths, I would have no respect for ANY martial art which told its practitioner to stand and fight. I think that would be the stupidest movie-believing Matrix-wannabe martial art ever. As yet I think none of us can move people with the force of our mind alone. Until that time, moving 30 opponents with the skill in our hands alone is an unfeasible task. Would you not agree?

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have never been to East LA. However, yes I do know the way to San Jose. I think what you are doing in your post is to make the point for running as a defence, no?

Should any of us lack the foresight or were just plain dumb enough to end up in a part of town which is bad for is then surely we would exit that place as quickly as we possibly could rather than standing around waiting for a group of youths to come pressure test our martial art, do you not think?

Self defence is not about proving the worthiness of our martial art. In this case from the original post, against 30-40 youths, I would have no respect for ANY martial art which told its practitioner to stand and fight. I think that would be the stupidest movie-believing Matrix-wannabe martial art ever. As yet I think none of us can move people with the force of our mind alone. Until that time, moving 30 opponents with the skill in our hands alone is an unfeasible task. Would you not agree?
I agree. Hanging out in "the bad part of town" is a stupid thing to begin with, but staying to 'stand and fight' when running will most likely get you to safety, is just ridiculous.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some of the runnign people just get my goat they are all gronala and all that and Greenees but they jog in traffic so every body can see what vertuous health and runners they are ant they are inhaleing the worst chemicals known to man from the cars and trucks and they ( women) get killed on a regular basis jogging alone being attacked by ever rapist sicafant even here getting atacked by bears what ever God does runnign mean you have to be stupid? Its as bad as the blonde in every slasher flick that always leaves the weopon with the attacker after they knock them down and run off the guy always gets up picks up the weopon and runs after them. Geez I always teach my students you know a weopon down you take it and run or use it on them.

90% of training I see does not prepare anyone to survive anything period. The new Masters Teaching License needs to throw them out in the hood or other places and if they come back alive great give them a license or otherwise give raiting like food establishments A-F for survivability what a joke!!!!!!! take your sport medals and other bull **** to East LA or San Jose or Boston or other Major Thug area Ive been to see what you got?
Im glad I dont live somewhere where joggers get killed on a "regular basis", but then Im sure these places are very few and far between. If someone wants to attack me while Im jogging (which is highly unlikely) they would first have to get past my faithful jogging partner (my 40kg german shepherd), and Id back him to take the first two attackers out very quickly, leaving me time to run home :)

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it better to jump, swim, climb or drive? Depends on the situation. Anyone who says it's always better to 'run' is entirely missing the point.....it's better to run 'When'? When the other guy(s) can outrun you? When you've got a couple of small children with you? One should be prepared to run, if that's the best choice in the situation.....sometimes it isn't.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it better to jump, swim, climb or drive? Depends on the situation. Anyone who says it's always better to 'run' is entirely missing the point.....it's better to run 'When'? When the other guy(s) can outrun you? When you've got a couple of small children with you? One should be prepared to run, if that's the best choice in the situation.....sometimes it isn't.
Good points. I do think though, that running should be first priority if possible, then work back from there. There will be times when running isnt possible though.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think "running" has connotations up to and including running itself (or any other means of escape as you say: swimming, jumping, climbing, driving, bmxing, husky-sledding, kitesurfing etc). Whilst running may not be the best exit strategy, nonetheless the most expedient exit strategy should be sought as a matter of course, no?

In my experience, standing to fight should always be considered a last resort failsafe. It should only be considered after running or contacting emergency services has not worked or is unfeasible and subsequently then (assuming you have been caught up to) after attempts at face-to-face situation calming or de-escalation have failed. I think to suggest otherwise; to suggest that standing to 'fight like a man' is wise (as have few previous posts) is to be delusional of one's own superpowers and misguided in simple non-movie statistics.

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hanging out in "the bad part of town" is a stupid thing to begin with, but staying to 'stand and fight' when running will most likely get you to safety, is just ridiculous.
Many poor folks live in "the bad part of town"... are you suggesting they all pack up and move/run away? That would be "just ridiculous".

Latest Discussions