Rules & Principles

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We've often heard that Kenpo is a study of motion, governed by rules and priciples.

As I understand it, there is only one rule that has a number:

Rule # 1: Establish your Base

What other 'Rules' exist in American Kenpo?
Where in the system are those rules broken?

Curiously ... Mike

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are 21 principles as outlined in book 4 chapter 7 pgs. 147 - 160. Look at your 8 prepatory considerations book 1 chaper 11 pgs. 101 - 114. Also refer to your web of knowledge book 5 chaper 5 pgs. 67 - 88. Check out the analytical study of motion book 5 chapter 6 pgs. 89 -95. These are but a few places to look for information to understanding kenpo a little better. :asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by michaeledward
What other 'Rules' exist in American Kenpo?

Where in the system are those rules broken?

After re-reading your questions here maybe you should read the the belt sayings as another source of knowledge. Some of those may give you some answers as to "breaking the rules". It's just a thought.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:asian: I think Kenpo is an attempt to demystify the martial arts. Ed Parker created a system that was bound only by reality. The principles of Logic were meant to be followed. Techniques with the name Sacrifice in them signified that certain situations negated the need for strict adherance to some principles but only because in that situation logic allowed the changes. Rather than looking in a book for lists of principles try using the eight cosiderations. You will find, for instance, that the last one "cover" is like the absolute most important because that is the one that decides weather you lived or died. Positions comes before targets; so, logic would dictate that punches won't save you from a choke, vying for position will. My intructor added a ninth consideration and made it the first. Attitude!(its always been the assumed consideration don't ya think?):)

H

Handsword

Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
I think Kenpo is an attempt to demystify the martial arts.

Well said! I very much agree with that statement, although previously I've taken 5 minutes of conversation to try and say it. Now I've got that line mentally noted. Thanks! :)

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Link to De-mystify Post . See the latest post by me on Page 3. The link should take you to the correct page, but you will have to scroll down.

This was what Sigung LaBounty discussed at his Intermediate and Advance Seminars this weekend.

You stated it well.

Oss,
-Michael

Latest Discussions