Kenpo Yantra

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

This symbol is called the Kenpo Yantra. The Kenpo Yantra is a curious name to say the least. So, why this name? To understand that, one must first understand what a Yantra is and how it is used. Second, one must understand why an Indian term was chosen.

There are three things from which a Hindu studies – Mantra, Tantra, and Yantra. Most people have heard of Mantra – or phrase, which is repeated over and over to focus concentration or bring about a wanted goal. Lots of people have heard of Tantra (aka yoga) – or physical use of the body for inspiration and health. However, few have heard of Yantra – or symbol on which one should ponder to derive knowledge and enlightenment.

In other words, a Yantra is a symbol that is used for the advancement of the mind through realization. So, the Kenpo Yantra is a symbol specifically designed for the advancement and realization of knowledge in Kenpo; i.e. - it is a symbol that should be studied and pondered upon in order to advance one’s understanding of Kenpo.

From this, one can say that the Universal Pattern is a Yantra about Kenpo – and it is. The Universal Pattern is essentially a symbol to represent the study of motion from linear to circular paths and visa versa. So, how is the Kenpo Yantra any different from this? The Kenpo Yantra does not represent the study of motion; rather it represents the concepts, theories, rules, and principles of motion. From one perspective, one could say that the Kenpo Yantra is an opposite of the Universal Pattern. Where the Universal Pattern is a symbol to represent the study of motion – the Kenpo Yantra is a symbol to represent the study of the ideas that define and explain motion.

What do you guys think of this?

-Rob

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

[/font]

What do you guys think of this?

-Rob

I haven't hit the link but I read the encapsulated quote and I think it's a terrific idea. Pretty esoteric on its surface,but deeply important as one travels the martial path.Especially the Kenpo path. Would the Kenpo Yantra be the Yin to the Universal Pattern's Yang? Or perhaps The Void...and we have yet to find the Yin?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have only just begun to figure out how to use the Universal Pattern, and now this? I am not sure I am ready.:)
Sean

OP
Thesemindz

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You should check out the link. It's nothing groundbreaking, but I think it's an interesting idea. A neat way to teach concepts using the pattern the way we can teach motion using the universal symbol. I don't know if I'll be hanging a yantra in the school, but I did share the link with my students.

-Rob

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting idea. I like how you showed it to your students, Rob. :)

Different people learn and process concepts in different ways. For some, such a thing may just be clutter or noise...for others, it could be one of many tools to deeper understanding.

OP
Thesemindz

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Different people learn and process concepts in different ways. For some, such a thing may just be clutter or noise...for others, it could be one of many tools to deeper understanding.

I think this is so important. Everyone has their own unique way of learning, and different techniques will work with different people. I try to do everything I can, through demonstration, and oral and written instruction, and drawing on the mirrors, and physically moving my student's arms and legs, and handouts and lectures and videos, to try to reach my students in every possible way.

My wife has a learning disability. She was suffocated in the womb for a few minutes during birth and it caused a part of her brain to develop improperly. She has trouble interpreting and comparing symbols. Most often, this manifests as a math learning disability. She is a completely functional, successful individual. But she can't do simple addition. For her, this would be a useless, confusing, incomprehensible tool. She wouldn't be able to understand how the lines inside the symbol related to the symbol as a whole; or how those relations applied to physical movements and conceptual approaches that the practitioner could apply to his method. That doesn't mean she can't understand all these things, she practices a very technical/artistic trade, she just wouldn't understand them from this. She would need demonstrations, and repetitions, and interactive practices in order to understand those concepts. She couldn't learn that from a symbol. Because her brain doesn't process symbols the way mine does.

Each of my students brings their own history and experiences and fears and prejudices and mental and physical abilities to their training. As their instructor, I try to understand what those are and provide the best possible instruction, in the most possible ways, in order to help them learn.

I like the demonstrations on the website of how the Yantra can be used to demonstrate concepts like Obscure Zones and Zones of Sanctuary. I draw diagrams on the mirrors for my students when I teach those concepts, and I can see how the Yantra would be an aid in that.

At the same time, it's such a complex symbol that it really has to be studied by the practitioner in order to be of more than the most superficial aid to his training. This isn't the sort of idea you can just toss out there and have students understand. They'd have to really focus on it and explore how it applies to their practice.

I could see hanging this on the wall, or passing out a handout, or posting the link on a website, which is all I did. I don't think I'd make it a significant part of my method, but I can see spending some time considering the Yantra.

As long as it doesn't cut into my mat time.

-Rob

Latest Discussions